The towing thread

discomatt

Most truck drivers and a lot of caravaners are intelligent road users, once again it the minority that give either group a bad name.
Like the dick in a massive truck following me down the monash a few weeks ago, all I could see out the back window was a bar and half a grill, I was sitting on 100 by the speedo so about 98 not in the right hand lane. Got on the UHF and called him out for being a dick and told all the other truckies why this moron was a blight on their profession and told him he was about to be brake tested. Funnily enough there was no reply but the gap did widen to a decent 2-3 second gap

mikehzz

They keep banging on about how you need higher towball weight for high speed towing. I think you are nuts to want to tow at 130kph or above which is the speeds they were indicating.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
“Why do the Aussies and Yanks insist on 10-15-percent towball weight, while the Europeans are content with around six percent? Towing speed is the main reason for the difference and that makes the Australian practice something of a misfit.”
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/driving-towing-towing/towball-weight-and-trailer-stability
An interesting discussion.
Tink
They keep banging on about how you need higher towball weight for high speed towing. I think you are nuts to want to tow at 130kph or above which is the speeds they were indicating.
I see lots of towing done at too high a speed for whatever reason. I do lean towards compulsory training for towing and a HD licences for the big rigs.
I tow a small van, around 1400 max fully loaded with my Troopy. I do not see the need for showers, toilets, washing machines, two water tanks, lots of batteries, generators, massive awnings, etc. etc. because many people stay at caravan parks some or all the time.
I had this enormous off road van pull up next to me in a park and the bloke showed me through. Shower inside and outside, toilet, washing machine, two steps to climb up, etc.etc. . I asked where was his wife and he said she was washing some clothes, having a shower, etc. in the toilet/shower/laundry block in the park. They did not intend to go off grid for more than one night at a time.
I understand there are the long haul off grid people, however I have been through heaps of parks and seen and talked to hundreds of travellers who really just use parks, especially the nomads.
I talk weights to them and they only tell me the supposed weight of the van and what their vehicle's maximum towing capacity is.

GaryM

2017336.jpg

cam04

Scary isn’t it. I’ve had the old double pendulum tail wagging the dog before, I don’t plan on having it ever again. Way too much excitement for this black duck.

Spooner

Like the dick in a massive truck following me down the monash a few weeks ago, all I could see out the back window was a bar and half a grill, I was sitting on 100 by the speedo so about 98 not in the right hand lane. Got on the UHF and called him out for being a dick and told all the other truckies why this moron was a blight on their profession and told him he was about to be brake tested. Funnily enough there was no reply but the gap did widen to a decent 2-3 second gap
Great stuff Matt :) Morons on the Monash going now here fast and risking peoples lives for what ?
Nothing really :(

shanegtr

“Why do the Aussies and Yanks insist on 10-15-percent towball weight, while the Europeans are content with around six percent? Towing speed is the main reason for the difference and that makes the Australian practice something of a misfit.”
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/driving-towing-towing/towball-weight-and-trailer-stability
An interesting discussion.
Tink
Make you wonder if some caravan/trailer manufacturers know some of those usefull formulas at the bottom of that link. Very handy when thinking about where to put or mount your loads within the trailer

dno67

The car park, paky bypass, Sth gippy, thompon's Rd, Westernport Hwy
are just some of my weekly regulars. Nothing I like better than di%k wads
closing my braking distance by swinging into my lane while pulling up or
those grubs than need to pass on the left to beat the end of the third lane
after a set of lights.
It's not just caravans that cause problem, there is a high percentage of
trailers that seem too be excluded from having to have functioning lights.
To be honest, it seems to be more related to the mum and dad type
of towers that cause most concern, It's like they think we only do this once
or twice a year. So everyone else should make an exception for us.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I love my new dash Cam and am currently practicing for my next trip where I should get lots of movies of scary caravan, trailer, truck, drivers.
Every day I see scary stuff on the roads, even around where I live, so I can't wait to get further out to pick up the idiots on my travels. I mean I do see about five idiots a day around home , so looks like we may need more cops on the road.:eek:.
Here is a practice video , got a couple more, not to do with towing yet, but hey, that will come :).