Corona virus

boobook

Let me guess your still using the Netscape Browser too:D;)

Not yet Swaggie, I'm waiting for it to be stable. I'm still on Mosaic from NCSA. But it's starting to show its age and struggles with pictures a bit.

Actually I am thinking of using Internet Explorer, at $50 it will be a bargain and run like fire on my Windows ME PC.

I have actually started using duckduckgo. Google without the ads or tracking.

peterfermtech

I have this if you need to brush up.

Attachments

• 20200806_110110.jpg
    20200806_110110.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77

boobook

LOL I Loove that sound Peter, its my ringtone. A modem training, we used to call it the strangled chook. Do you remember a thing called the K56 flex vs X2 wars for lightning fast 56kilobits per second? Most internet was 28Kbps before then. Now I complain if my internet is below 40MBPS

peterfermtech

56k? I thought I was living in luxury when I had my 14400 modem! Just like pain I think my brain has blocked a fair bit of memory of dial up and I only remember it vaguely. Probably it was all sorted out by the time I could afford one. Back in those days you could buy a pretty good 4wd for the cost of the latest computer system.

edit - yes probably over the top. Lets say a not too bad second hand one. ;)

Last edited:

Warby

56k? I thought I was living in luxury when I had my 14400 modem! Just like pain I think my brain has blocked a fair bit of memory of dial up and I only remember it vaguely. Probably it was all sorted out by the time I could afford one. Back in those days you could buy a pretty good 4wd for the cost of the latest computer system.

edit - yes probably over the top. Lets say a not too bad second hand one. ;)

I think its hard to imagine it being "so terrible" because we simply didn't use the internet like we do now, so the speed wasn't as much of a limiting factor as people who never experienced the joys of dial-up assume it would have been. Online gaming, media streaming, high resolution images on every webpage, etc weren't the norm.

Also, like everything, it was an evolution.. It wasn't like we had 40mbps connections with everything designed and functioning as it does now and then fell back to 14400kbps. We had 14.4.. then got 28.8... 36.. 56.. then ISDN.. then ADSL... Most of the "early adopters" upgraded with the technology, and the usage was tailored accordingly. We got used to bulletin boards, IRC and websites which were primarily text based with maybe one or two low-res images.. then more images.. flash animation.. more images.. downloading music and movies (over multiple days or weeks at times for a single album or movie haha).

I remember playing Counterstrike on dialup against a mate in the US who had a ~10mbps cable connection. That was fun. I would basically be trying to guess where he would be in a few seconds and firing in that direction, get shot in the meantime and repeat.

Edit... just to add, I know that 14.4 wasn't the earliest.. its just what we had when I got internet at home..

Last edited:

discomatt

As we all know I have called BS on the whole thing all along, yep shut down those who feel they are in critical danger, the old, the sick and the paranoid. The flow on effects of mental health, suicide, life style, welbeing and finances will be far worse than the effects of covid 19 but time will tell and lets wait and see where society is in 1, 2 , 3 and 4 years time

• Haha
Reactions: CTL

boobook

So who is Katie Hopkins?

Katie Olivia Hopkins is an English media personality, columnist, social critic, and former businesswoman. She was a contestant on the third series of The Apprentice in 2007, and following further appearances in the media, she became a columnist for British national newspapers.

Oh in that case we should all take notice of her informed opinions. If you are still not convinced of her qualifications, she was on 'Big Brother' too. Luckily we get to read about her on Earth, because she was PERMANENTLY banned from twitter. That must take some doing. Not just your average rant made up bullshit on twitter I suspect.

Nothing like a media personality / social critic to determine how a pandemic should be handled affecting hundreds of lives and billions of dollars.

But on the bright side - she did get a lot of 'hits'.

Last edited:

CTL

So who is Katie Hopkins?

Katie Olivia Hopkins is an English media personality, columnist, social critic, and former businesswoman. She was a contestant on the third series of The Apprentice in 2007, and following further appearances in the media, she became a columnist for British national newspapers.

Oh in that case we should all take notice of her informed opinions. If you are still not convinced of her qualifications, she was on 'Big Brother' too. Luckily we get to read about her on Earth, because she was PERMANENTLY banned from twitter. That must take some doing. Not just your average rant made up bullshit on twitter I suspect.

Nothing like a media personality / social critic to determine how a pandemic should be handled affecting hundreds of lives and billions of dollars.

Love your work mate. Keep those conspiracy theorists on thier toes

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
So who is Katie Hopkins?

A picture speaks a thousand words. :eek:

discomatt

Just to clarify I don't call BS on covid but the handling of it, if it is so bad why is it that the people handling the hotel quarantine was contracted to those with NFI on medical lock downs and not trained persional, why were we not totally locked down 3 months ago to eliminate it from Australia as NZ has done?
Our premier says he takes full responsibility for it all but will not be held accountable for his massive screw ups, the whole handling of the whole thing in Victoria is laughable as was the F wits that let it get of the Ruby Princess in NSW.
After the flog let the whole thing get out of hand in the original outbreaks in Cedar meats after seeing how it spreads in abattoirs overseas he only now decides to reduce working numbers in high risk work environments.
Like I said its all BS

Choook

So who is Katie Hopkins?

Withheld the fact she had epilepsy when she attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst..... hmmm... Not the trustworthy type I would have wanted to serve with or (as she would have become a Commissioned Officer) under.

dno67

I'm not remotely intersted in who's saying it, more whats being said, back to rona.
Sort of. Iol
Removing something thats not necessarily true or right, dose little to educate or facilitate constructive evolution of a discussion or argument.
I only see it as censorship.