Pooping in the Simpson

red hilux

We just had a little 4wd trip, one of the visitors there, had mentioned that he has heard that they bring in a rule that you need a chemical toilet for the crossing.
Has any one else heard that?

smwhiskey

Be interested to know what would happen if it became full when you were 1/2 way across. Its not as if there are a plethora of dump points along the way to empty it.

John U

We just had a little 4wd trip, one of the visitors there, had mentioned that he has heard that they bring in a rule that you need a chemical toilet for the crossing.
Has any one else heard that?
I saw no sign of this on my recent trip across the Simpson. Burn your toilet paper was a new one to me though, and apart from dig a hole, and keep it away from water way, was the only specified requirement.
I was a bit worried about whether burning bog roll could start a fire in such dry conditions. Had no dramas in the end.

John U

Thanks mate.
I’m doing the crossing in august
Parks SA will be able to verify. You need to get a desert Parks pass from them before crossing. This comes with a book which MUST be carried (probably because its full of good info, some of which could save your life). I wasn't organised enough to get this before the trip. I'd highly recommend getting it asap and giving it a good read.

Bit of info on my crossing here.

Last edited:

red hilux

thank you very much mate.

Im not going to worry about carrying extra fuel. I have a 120 prado which carries 180l standard. I will make sure Im topped up or close to before crossing the desert

my biggest thing is to modify the twin wheel carrier for 2 spares. I think I had the early model of MCC rear bar. the twin wheel carrier wont hold 2 wheels. I wasnt worries before as I never needed 2 spares. My problem is the single spare tyre at the moment is past the centre line of the car.

When I bought the carrier, I did get a spare set of left and right swing arms. I will modify them to suit.

smitty_r51

Im not going to worry about carrying extra fuel. I have a 120 prado which carries 180l standard. I will make sure Im topped up or close to before crossing the desert

my biggest thing is to modify the twin wheel carrier for 2 spares. I think I had the early model of MCC rear bar. the twin wheel carrier wont hold 2 wheels. I wasnt worries before as I never needed 2 spares. My problem is the single spare tyre at the moment is past the centre line of the car.

When I bought the carrier, I did get a spare set of left and right swing arms. I will modify them to suit.
If they are new tyres then you should get away with just the one spare, I staked one on our crossing but even that got me out (i ended up swapping it out camped at Uluru)

take some plugs and stick to the defined track and you should be fine.

sharkcaver

Burn your toilet paper was a new one to me though,
seriously?

Like not snatching off towballs, burning your poo tickets should be a must.

If not safe to do so, gather it up, put it in a snaplock bag and burn it in the campfire that night - preferably after you have cooked dinner.

You must not read my posts, its not like I dont harp on about it or something?

Burning your paper is sh1tting in the woods, rule 101.

Pretty sure rule 303 needs to apply to most though.

stevemc181

We take a porta-loo everywhere now, sick to death of seeing even some of the remote places covered in poo-tickets.

Across the Simmo, after 4 days, we simply dug a hole and emptied it, poo tickets and associated crap is all well dissolved. You can also have a nice comfortable bowel motion while reading the paper if you so desire ;) Places like the Simmo are easy to dig holes, but plenty of other places you near on need a pick axe and dynamite to scratch the surface.
I’ve seen some deep holes the dingoes have dug to get at the reward buried below, so at a minimum, burn the bloody paper!

We also use an environmentally friendly additive, so no drama with chemicals.
Lots of stations now in WA where it’s compulsory to have a portable toilet.

dabbler

Regarding burning poo tickets, when I was a kayak camper some decades ago now, the accepted practice was burn the paper used but leave half a sheet of unused paper exposed as signal to others.

John U

Like @smitty_r51 said, I went with a single spare. Followed the advice on here and bought a tyre pressure monitoring system so I'd take better care of the tyres I was using and a tyre repair kit.
My vehicle has quite a few pinstripes so concentrating on the best line to take care of the tyres, not getting bogged, and keeping it rubber side down, comes well ahead of dodging scratchy branches. I'm sure watching out for scratches brings people unstuck in other areas.
I used one of these.
It was excellent while it was working, but the pressure outside 25% of setting alarm stopped working half way across the Simmo. Repco replaced it. Replacement working so far.

Regarding burning poo tickets, when I was a kayak camper some decades ago now, the accepted practice was burn the paper used but leave half a sheet of unused paper exposed as signal to others.
Better off putting a stick upright in the ground than leaving a bit of toilet paper around - I thought everyone did this..?