Pooping in the Simpson

red hilux

Like @smitty_r51 said, I went with a single spare. Followed the advice on here and bought a tyre pressure monitoring system so I'd take better care of the tyres I was using and a tyre repair kit.
My vehicle has quite a few pinstripes so concentrating on the best line to take care of the tyres, not getting bogged, and keeping it rubber side down, comes well ahead of dodging scratchy branches. I'm sure watching out for scratches brings people unstuck in other areas.
I used one of these.
It was excellent while it was working, but the pressure outside 25% of setting alarm stopped working half way across the Simmo. Repco replaced it. Replacement working so far.
thank you

I have a tyre pressure gauge, similar to what you shared

red hilux

I’m currently sorting out another bigger issue.

coffee machine.

Sorry. I can’t go 3 weeks without a proper coffee.

I’ve bought myself one of these

And one of these as my 1000w inverter wouldn’t run it ( arrived last night )

sadly I can’t go to the shops to buy/make mounting gear as I won the China flu award last night also

Last edited:

dabbler

I’m currently sorting out another bigger issue.

coffee machine.

Sorry. I can’t go 3 weeks without a proper coffee.

I’ve bought myself one of these

And one of these as my 1000w inverter wouldn’t run it ( arrived last night )

sadly I can’t go to the shops to buy/make mounting gear as I won the China flu award last night also
I use a Wacaco nanopresso and a hand grinder. I typically travel solo and I don't drink milk-based coffees so it suits me.

Plus it cost me nothing as I used loyalty points for the purchases.

sharkcaver

I use a Wacaco nanopresso and a hand grinder. I typically travel solo and I don't drink milk-based coffees so it suits me.

Plus it cost me nothing as I used loyalty points for the purchases.
Nanopresso for the win and I do drink milk based coffee's. I paid hard earned for both of mine, a barista kit with ground coffee for going away and an nspresso kit for pods in my work bag. I have moved over to a 240V frother these days though. A full on AC coffee machine isn't in my sights anytime soon.

FranksnBeans

I saw no sign of this on my recent trip across the Simpson. Burn your toilet paper was a new one to me though, and apart from dig a hole, and keep it away from water way, was the only specified requirement.
I was a bit worried about whether burning bog roll could start a fire in such dry conditions. Had no dramas in the end.
I usually burn my toilet paper where possible. I've used two different methods of burning but curious to hear what others do.

Either way it starts with a 30cm deep hole. First method is to carry a small bottle of lighter fluid and some matches in my toiletries. A small squirt of lighter fluid down the hole and drop a match in. Job done, fill-in and walk away.

Second method is to carry a paperbag and stuff toilet paper into the bag as you use it. I then burn said bag on hot campfire before leaving camp. It has to be a decent fire though, it's not enough to just throw it onto some smouldering coals. Nobody wants to set up a campfire around a smouldering turd.

typhoeus

I usually burn my toilet paper where possible. I've used two different methods of burning but curious to hear what others do.

Either way it starts with a 30cm deep hole. First method is to carry a small bottle of lighter fluid and some matches in my toiletries. A small squirt of lighter fluid down the hole and drop a match in. Job done, fill-in and walk away.

Second method is to carry a paperbag and stuff toilet paper into the bag as you use it. I then burn said bag on hot campfire before leaving camp. It has to be a decent fire though, it's not enough to just throw it onto some smouldering coals. Nobody wants to set up a campfire around a smouldering turd.
How about shovelling the coals from you camp-fire into the hole while you pack up, then last job before you leave is to bury it all. . . No cooked turds in the campfire spot

cam04

How about shovelling the coals from you camp-fire into the hole while you pack up, then last job before you leave is to bury it all. . . No cooked turds in the campfire spot
Never a good idea keeping coals in sand. They stay hot for a long time and can cause fires later on. Should always extinguish fires in sand with water rather than cover with sand. There are horrible injuries each year from people standing in old campfires.

Last edited:

red hilux

what about using biodegradable toilet bags and paper? without burning??

sharkcaver

what about using biodegradable toilet bags and paper? without burning??

Why not just bury your business and burn your paper?
It's not hard to do and no more environmentally unfriedly than using the above products.

red hilux

Why not just bury your business and burn your paper?
It's not hard to do and no more environmentally unfriedly than using the above products.
i think I like to have the option of taking it and disposing of it later, If i need to do an early morning paper work, I may just pull out the folding toilet seat and my shower tent.

Its really just and option, instead of digging a hole there and then

sharkcaver

i think I like to have the option of taking it and disposing of it later, If i need to do an early morning paper work, I may just pull out the folding toilet seat and my shower tent.

Its really just and option, instead of digging a hole there and then
A mate of mine carried one in a bag for a few hours before burying it. He vowed - never again.