hockayak

Hi all,

I have been trying to find out about a GVM upgrade for our Ute, for towing a caravan. I seem to be finding a range of information about legalities etc. Many places seem to offer GVM suspension upgrades, but then there is Lovells. Are Lovells a manufacturer of a particular upgrade (i.e. just one option, vs old man emu, arb, pedders etc) or are they the only people doing a full, legal GVM upgrade? I've literally even heard people on campsites raving about Lovells, nay, fighting about the fact that all of the others are illegal etc. But anyway, i was just thinking of going into TJM/ARB etc and getting a few hundred kg extra payload. Is that a reasonable option?

Pls, im new at all of this. Can i assume that this is a different option to a lift kit? Do you have to pick GVM upgrade over lift, or can you do both?

Regards, Hock

Albynsw

There are several companies that can offer you a GVM upgrade including Lovells. Lovells has an excellent reputation in the industry, I have their springs in my 79 as part of a GVM upgrade and are planning on fitting their GVM kit on my next vehicle

A GVM upgrade is basically documenting and legalising your vehicle to carry a larger payload but you can also fit the same components without the documentation and it would be just as capable but not legal.

What vehicle do you have as the outcome and best solution may vary
For instance with a 79 a Lovells GVM upgrade still allows you to tow 3.5t whereas the OME version derates your towing capacity by the GVM upgrade amount. That may be different with other vehicles

Albynsw

Do you need a GVM upgrade or just new suspension?
There is a big difference financially

cam04

Yeah fair enough, its a 2017 Ranger XLT. Any ideas specific?

There used to be widespread GCM upgrades but that has all fallen down in recent times.
Ergo any extra payload you use will reduce your towing capacity.
Yes, gvm upgrades are a lift kit of sorts.
Bear in mind that if you aren’t carrying a lot of weight the Ute is going to ride like a race car.

Last edited:

FrankP

Hi all,

I have been trying to find out about a GVM upgrade for our Ute, for towing a caravan. I seem to be finding a range of information about legalities etc. Many places seem to offer GVM suspension upgrades, but then there is Lovells. Are Lovells a manufacturer of a particular upgrade (i.e. just one option, vs old man emu, arb, pedders etc) or are they the only people doing a full, legal GVM upgrade? I've literally even heard people on campsites raving about Lovells, nay, fighting about the fact that all of the others are illegal etc. But anyway, i was just thinking of going into TJM/ARB etc and getting a few hundred kg extra payload. Is that a reasonable option?

Pls, im new at all of this. Can i assume that this is a different option to a lift kit? Do you have to pick GVM upgrade over lift, or can you do both?

Regards, Hock

Have a look at this video from Robert Pepper, probably the best 4WD/motoring journo around, for a general explanation of GVM upgrades etc.

Then have a look at this page on the Lovells website, especially the FAQ.

Lovells have upgrade kits to suit many vehicles. They are not the only people doing full, legal GVM upgrades, but if you get a Lovells kit installed by a Lovells-approved fitter and get a state-approved engineer to sign it off and issue a SSM plate you will have a fully legal upgrade recognised in all states. You can drive anywhere and the upgrade will be recognised. (It might be an idea to carry your updated rego and engineer's certificates, just in case you get leaned on by an over-zealous and under informed officer. Don't ask me how I know ;) )

Other brands can do it too, but for the GVM upgrade to be recognised and legal, they must get the engineer's sign-off and plate and provide them to you.

If you go to some place and get "a few hundred kg extra payload", yes you will improve your vehicle's load carrying capacity but you haven't increased its legal GVM. It is ok if you are just setting up for a continuous heavy load under standard GVM.

Can i assume that this is a different option to a lift kit? Do you have to pick GVM upgrade over lift, or can you do both?
Most suspension upgrades give you a degree of lift, but how much depends what you want to do.

If you're just touring outback dirt roads you probably don't need much of a lift, if any. You can get a GVM upgrade that improves your load capacity and gives you minimum lift.

If you want to drive the tracks in the High Country and elsewhere you will want more clearance so you can get a lift kit with or without a formal GVM upgrade.

You said you are setting up for towing a caravan. Just be aware that a GVM upgrade no longer increases your GCM. The loophole in the regs that allowed that was shut down a while ago - July 2019, I think.

Example:
BT50 - standard GVM 3200, GCM 6000, braked towing capacity (BTC) 3500
If you load the BT to 3200, then the max trailer weight you can tow is 6000-3200, = 2800kg

If the BT50 gets a GVM upgrade to 3500kg (Lovells have such a kit), your GCM is still 6000.
If you load the ute to the new GVM, then the max trailer weight you can now tow is 6000-3500, = 2500kg

And don't forget the ball weight of the trailer becomes part of the vehicle's load.

Here's a graphic that might help:
Vehicle and Trailer Weights graphic.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CTL

2luxes

I have been trying to find out about a GVM upgrade for our Ute, for towing a caravan.

Pls, im new at all of this.

If you have to upgrade a car to tow a certain caravan, the car is too small for it.

Cars are designed to carry a certain weight correctly distributed with a bit more in reserve. A GVM upgrade takes it legally up to that reserve with nothing left.

Have a good look through the RV Books website. There is enough reading in it on all things involving caravans to keep you going for an hour or two. There is also an excellent book on why caravans roll over that you can buy. It could save your life one day.