Holden Rodeo RA / Isuzu D-max - Check 4wd Light

russell789

thanks for posting the info my old man has a d-max so will keep it handy incase it happens..

any reason why the "check 4wd" light comes on??

ma9golj

Rodeo Check 4X4

Hi
I've got the 2006 3.0 Dsl and find that it requires 60 seconds to reset not 30 seconds as per a later GMH service buliten
I also am now on my second Tx case as the original failed (at Normenton on when the stepper motor siezed 1/2 way between H4 and H2) at 90,000 Km
we drove home in H2 and the box oil was full of Plastic and wire
new (second hand) box has failed once so far but reset OK
(we live on a farm and use 4WD Daily and 4L often, depends where we park)
Would love to junk the electronic TX and fit a manual one
Any one know if this is possible?
Thanks

whitedisco94

Hi there I have tried to open the link to reset my Check 4WD light but it won't open is there another link at all?
Thanks for your time

ma9golj

Hi
Last time my "check 4wd" light came on i followed these instructions and all reset fine
Press and hold all three 4wd buttons
Turn on Ignition but do not start engine
Wait 60 seconds
check 4wd light goes out
Worked fine for me:D
PS got rid of the Rodeo and built a Double Cab/Chassis Nissan Patrol
all manual 4wd and much more reliable

wedgie34

Hi. The link is working now. I hadn't updated details of my new credit card!

The 3x buttons only works with later Rodeos. Earlier RAs need the wires under the seat trick.

sidknee17

Reading the instructions it looks as though all you do is disconect and re conect the plug in the control module is that right?

Thanks

sid

xcess007

"check 4wd light- rodeo 2005"

Just thought I'd post instructions for anyone that has this issue. It's a pretty common fault and I have at least 1 person a week emailing me for instructions to reset it. Holden seem to like the $1200 figure to "fix" it... sheesh.

Anyway, the instructions can be found here:
Holden Rodeo RA 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 / Isuzu D-max Dmax Check 4wd Light Reset Procedure

Hi there, bought a 2005 rodeo on fathers day and took it out on the weekend with family to do a bit of 4wd-ing. Engaged 4h and went through a small amount of mud, went to disengage and "check 4wd" light came on and I couldnt engage 4wd again. We went homefeeling a bit @$#%off and thought about it awhile. Google searched the problem and found your site first up. Tried pushing the three buttons as suggested but to no avail. Went for option two, (much to my partners concern) "Make you dont stuff it up", I think were her words.... Followed instructions and what do you know, Fixed it!! Happy Happy.... went and tested four wheel drive yesterday and there dosnt seem to be any problems. So thanks again for having such information available, as myself like many others could think of better things to do with $1000 plus!!

Regards
Xcess007

JuzzyDee

Do you have a similar fix for the ABS light? Mine has been on since I had to be snatched out of a nasty rut a few weeks back. :(

grantberry

Check 4WD light fixed !

THANKYOU , THANKYOU, THANK YOU THANKYOU !
I cannot thank you enough !
I tried the "pres" the switches" trick on my 2005 RA, but no go.
So followed the 2nd set of instructions - removed seat (14mm spanner) and loosened the controller box (10mm spanner); Inserted the two bits of wire , turned on ign and VOILA !! Magic!

Two spanners, two bits of wire, and a few minutes later have saved $$$ !

This forum is tops ! Thankyou, gents for your spot-on advice :)

peterfermtech

I thought I might bump this thread as I got caught out on it over Easter.:mad: When I saw them fix it, it jogged my memory, and a simple google search bought up a number of references including this one which I must of read last year but forgot.:eek: Apart from a bit of slipping and sliding in 2wd there was no harm done.

regards

muc the truck

Do you have a similar fix for the ABS light? Mine has been on since I had to be snatched out of a nasty rut a few weeks back. :(

fix your abs sensor or wiring . new or used abs sensor will sort it you cant reset abs when something is stuffed and make it work again

tuffcolorado

had same problem on my collorado. You have to press 4L 4H and 2H in a sequence and it resets 4wd. There's a video on youtube shows u how to do it. Herd of holden charging fair bit to do this for customers to
I did this after I bottomd out, and slammed a rock hard as. Hope I can help

HI,
I'm a new member here,My name is Glenn.
I Have an isuzu rodeo denver max 2009.
I would like to buy the tailgate chrome badges
(Rodeo) and (Denver)Can anyone help me please
because i can't find ?
Thanks
Glenn

RODEODAVE

will this work to reset a 4H light that wont disengage ???? i did have check 4WD light but pulled module apart and sprayed with inox after it got wet all was good until i got home after weekend now 4H light wont stop flashing
thanks in advance Dave

peterfermtech

will this work to reset a 4H light that wont disengage ???? i did have check 4WD light but pulled module apart and sprayed with inox after it got wet all was good until i got home after weekend now 4H light wont stop flashing
thanks in advance Dave

Won't break anything trying it.

regards

RODEODAVE

well have tried this and still have the 4H light flashing . I can here the actuators move when i hold down the buttons as per re-set method , but still have light flashing , I have also tried the second re-set method but still no avail any other ideas .
thanks
Dave

muc the truck

well have tried this and still have the 4H light flashing . I can here the actuators move when i hold down the buttons as per re-set method , but still have light flashing , I have also tried the second re-set method but still no avail any other ideas .
thanks
Dave

take connector on the battery off over night, try reset again , find a dirt road and engage low range and then try to go back to 2wd. it could be a stuffed actuator , 4wd ecu or just stuck because its dry. sometimes the actuator needs removing and oil added in the front . its not much oil .

move the ecu up under the dash like the 2o10 Colorado . its above the drivers pedals

Luthy

Last time my check 4wd light came on I used the old two wires trick then the other day driving along the road it came on again. So out comes the seat and try the two wires again blew the fuse didn't I so replace the fuse and try wires again blew another fuse, so replace fuse and seat and think here we go to holden. Driving home today I remembered that the TCM was replaced when the actuator was stuffed. So I get home today and press and hold the three buttons and yipppeee check 4wd light goes off and can now select 4wd again, wish I had of thought of that a month ago.
Luthy

grantberry

Might be the actuator mechanism under the front diff; Mine got damaged (rock slide) - on the outside - just a crack in the plastic housing, which is an outer 'skin' anyway.
Removing the cover (just the cover, not the entire actuator) you will notice that there are contacts for the lamps that contact when the actuator engages.
In my case, in 2H the 4WD lamp is off (normal), when I press 4H (or 4L) the 4WD light changes to flashing, but doesn't ever go steady-lit, even though the actuators have indeed engaged 4WD (tested/proven many a time!) I'm not bothered that the lamp flashes instead of being on steady - it still engages/works fine. So check if it is actually working or not [preferably before you go bush:) ]
I did buy a new actuator (3 years ago), but havn't bothered putting it in yet. Removing the actuator drains diff-oil, so I'm gonna leave that till I want to do a diff-oil change.

For the record, I did have the same issue discussed in the start of the thread, and found the solution (the short jumper cables on the box under the drivers seat) - worked 100% for me - perfect!