Holden Rodeo RA / Isuzu D-max - Check 4wd Light

RODEODAVE

well light is still flashing .... I had it up on some stands over the weekend and put it in gear spun the front tyres there was no resistance so does this mean that its not in 4H but in 2H with a flashing light ?

Luthy

I'd say get in on some grass/dirt and tramp it and see what wheels spin. Then try and put it in 4h and see if theres a difference. When I first got my 4by I got my deo and drowned it. I was stuck in 4wd and did the reset and it worked. Only after I washed it 3 days later did my abs light came on so I thought I had buggered something under the bonnet when I washed it. Turned out that the TCM had busted something and was sending a fault code to my abs but 4wd still worked. It may well still be the TCM. So try the and find out if 4wd works or if your in 2wd. If 4wd works then I'd say to change the TCM if it bugs you about the light. If it doesn't it could be the TCM or the diff actuator. Let me know how it goes.

Luthy

Last edited:

RODEODAVE

Luthy it appears mine may have something to do with another thread you are posting on re - front diff wont engage .....I have looked at the front actuator... so do I undo the front cover plate to view it or the four main bolts to remove it to get some grease / oil on the actuator was also thinking the breather hose could be blocked could this also be a cause / not allowing air to escape as the actuator moves back out of gear ??

Luthy

I don't think it would be a blocked hose as when the mechanic didn't install the hose back on mine and mine works fine. I would remove the 4 main bolts and remove the actuator and have a look at that, mine was plain to see it had seized. Also my light the (4wheel one) would flash when I went to engage 4wd not all the time. Is yours flashing constantly? Or only when trying to engage?

RODEODAVE

mine is locks in when in 4H /4L but flashes constantly when shifting from 4H -2H quiet annoying .

grantberry

Dave, you say that your 4WD warning lamp "locks in when in 4H /4L but flashes constantly when shifting from 4H -2H".
That's normal. Lamp on = 4WD engaged, lamp off = 4WD disengaged. Flashing lamp = transitioning between engaged/disengaged. Yes it does take a few seconds. - Shouldn't take longer than five or so secs - if it does, ease back on the accelerator, to take pressure off the driveline, so that the actuator isn't fighting against pressure from the transmission.
-Thus sayeth ye Owners Manual :)

RODEODAVE

no constantly flashes even after half an hour or rock back and forth in forward reverse, it used to flash the go out but now after the check 4wd light came on the bugger wont go away.

Last edited:

RODEODAVE

WELL FINALLY FIXED IT WENT AND BOUGHT A SECOND HAND TCM LIGHT HAS NOW GONE OUT ... SO NOW I HAVE A SPARE THAT WILL AT LEAST GET ME HOME IF THE NEW ONE GETS WET AGAIN ON THE TRACKS...

Hi, we have a Rodeo (NZ) think it's the RA model... 2003, but the 2004 shape. It's a four door. The red 4x4 light stays on and we only have 2x2. The box described under the drivers seat, on our model is under the passengers seat and looks different so cannot do the wire trick. Holding the buttons down does not work.......
HALP! :-/
Update, we found the box under the drivers seat... and the trick worked a treat...thanks!
Cannot believe that this is a 4x4 and all these electronic boxes are just on the floor, no waterproofing. Just as well we don't go tripping through rivers etc hey?
Our old girl is staring to show signs of age, the body is ok but the mind is going (opposite to me). Goes into limp mode regularly and have already had to replace the computer in the fuel system. Around $5,000.00 later.... wish we could get rid of all the computers....

Last edited:

dozo

Hey there, My check 4wd light is on...

the 3 button hold trick does not work. .....Next step, reset the TCCM directly right?.... PROBLEM: TCCM is not under driver seat!!
Does anyone know where I can find the TCCM in a 2008 RA 4JJ1 3.0L Rodeo?
Did they move it to up above the brake pedal in the 08 models? I can see a black box up there with two harnesses plugged in. Box has "ABS" written on it. If this is it, how can i reset it using the jumper method? I'm guessing its different from the method used for the under seat version.

Also, problem 2: My ABS system does not work. There's no ABS warning light on, but it definitely locks up under heavy braking. If the TCCM and the ABS units are combined could this be my trouble?

Anyone with similar experience your advice would be much appreciated.
cheers,

Luthy

Yes they could be linked..... my abd light is on and has been since my tcm module got wet bit for me its actually a good thing. And no if it has abs written on ot it probably isnt the cas maybe cjeck in the passenger foot well behind the kick panel

carl lloyd

Just thought I'd post instructions for anyone that has this issue. It's a pretty common fault and I have at least 1 person a week emailing me for instructions to reset it. Holden seem to like the $1200 figure to "fix" it... sheesh.

Anyway, the instructions can be found here:
Holden Rodeo RA 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 / Isuzu D-max Dmax Check 4wd Light Reset Procedure
thx
hello is the link still working i tried , pc said no , keeps saying site cant be reached ??????

Mathew ozzy

"check 4wd light- rodeo 2005"

Hi there, bought a 2005 rodeo on fathers day and took it out on the weekend with family to do a bit of 4wd-ing. Engaged 4h and went through a small amount of mud, went to disengage and "check 4wd" light came on and I couldnt engage 4wd again. We went homefeeling a bit @$#%off and thought about it awhile. Google searched the problem and found your site first up. Tried pushing the three buttons as suggested but to no avail. Went for option two, (much to my partners concern) "Make you dont stuff it up", I think were her words.... Followed instructions and what do you know, Fixed it!! Happy Happy.... went and tested four wheel drive yesterday and there dosnt seem to be any problems. So thanks again for having such information available, as myself like many others could think of better things to do with $1000 plus!!

Regards
Xcess007
Can you please send me instructions.....? I got the same issue.

Mathew ozzy

I did the reset & still have the fault as I turn ignition back on , goes straight into chk4wd & I can feel the relay click inside .
Think broken wire in plug or loom.....but idk. & Too old to get under & see anything....? Can anyone write where those two plugs & wire-ing loom run to out of the TCCM.....?

Billy1960

I tried accessing the link with instructions about resetting the TCCM but it's not working. Could someone please send me a working link? cheers.