Toyota Hilux LN106R

typhoeus

Yep, that looks familiar, i replaced my original hilux mirrors about a year ago, with Chinese copies. . . After glueing the old ones together a few times. 20 years of hot sun made them brittle. But. . The copies are s**t. One year on and the mirror backing is peeling, they shake& vibrate, and they could be bigger, so I was very interested when I saw what you did!
The black plug is for the wiring for electric mirrors which sr5's had i think

CRees

Hey mate

Awsome build. What did you think about that trail-gear gearbox mount? Bit more of a hard mount? Did you notice any change in vibration after installing that?

You ever wonder about getting the Trail gear solid engine mounts too? or no need?

Thanks
Callum

boris mikilchuck

Hey mate

Awsome build. What did you think about that trail-gear gearbox mount? Bit more of a hard mount? Did you notice any change in vibration after installing that?

You ever wonder about getting the Trail gear solid engine mounts too? or no need?

Thanks
Callum
Hey Callum,

Thanks mate

I have since removed the trailgear/superior engineering gearbox mount, sold it and gone back to the factory mount because of the vibration. It wasn't so bad when driving on the highway but at idle its really annoying. It got to the stage where I was worried that the vibration would damage something over time not to mention the extra noise it made in the cab.

In hindsight I should have just stayed with another factory mount. My hilux is pretty stock standard so I had no real need for the trailgear mount I just wanted to try it. If you don't try something you never know right, I think thats part of tinkering with cars.

After having that experience with the trailgear gearbox mount I can only imagine the trailgear engine mounts (or any stiffer engine mounts for that matter) would shake the car to pieces. The only exception is some guys with compount turbo's and extreme turbo setups run the trail gear engine mounts on one side only otherwise the engine will twist but this is a very niche application which doesn't apply to many people.

Personally I would recommend staying with factory gearbox and engine mounts.