Is there any downside to getting a Fortuner?

Tink

I think Ziggy is ignoring me :D:D:D
C’mon Ernie, man up and give us some evidence to your claims!
Tink

BlueCollie

I'm in the camp of thinking its basically a hilux wagon but I have a couple of questions-
1. the fortuner has a shorter wheelbase. Do they acheive this by cutting the existing chassis down or do they make a completely separate chassis?
2. Why does the fortuner have a 50mm penalty on ground clearance over the hilux?
3. Why can't the fortuner tow as much as a hilux?

Tink

I'm in the camp of thinking its basically a hilux wagon but I have a couple of questions-
1. the fortuner has a shorter wheelbase. Do they acheive this by cutting the existing chassis down or do they make a completely separate chassis?
2. Why does the fortuner have a 50mm penalty on ground clearance over the hilux?
3. Why can't the fortuner tow as much as a hilux?
Just guessing, but based upon how it works between the Dmax and MUX
1. Shorten the wheelbase, i.e. shorther the chassis between the wheels. Only has a negative effect on fuel tank size.
2. Rear axle suspension being coils etc.
3. Wagon has extra body weight and extra seats and rear airconditioning, etc etc. Extra weight plus shorter wheelbase.
Tink

boobook

Wot he said^^

Obviously there would be different wheelbase lengths for different vehicles in the same family. All manufacturers do this and it's pretty common. Prado shorty, 90 verses 110 defender, etc. The current 70 series has 3 different wheelbases. 3180, 2730 and 2980. Until this model, the Hilux had different wheelbases.

Rear axle suspension being coils etc., Interestingly Toyota specified the Fortuner to be the same as the Hilux at 279mm originally by mistake.

The Hilux has several towing capacities listed. It has to do with weight distribution, stability on the back engine capacity etc. Actually the Fortuner is 200kg more than the highest number quoted for a HIlux from what I can see.

BlueCollie

I think you will find that they have the same ground clearance, the 279mm quoted for both the Hilux and the Fortuner (later revised) should have read approx 225mm for both.
When toyota downgraded the fortuner they were adamant the hilux was right at 279mm.

Ziggy

Ziggy, lots of posts on forums is hearsay, and a lot is good solid information. Picking the difference is the tricky bit. That's why I like to check things.

Wrt the Fortuner verses Hilux though, the evidence from lots of posts on lots of forums, plus professional reviews, plus others who work on them, plus wikipedia, plus Toyota's documentation shows they are the same platform on the same production plant. Toyota even have had a IMV platform strategy for the Fortuner and Hilux for 15 years. The evidence from every single source aligns except for one, your mechanic. He might be right but nothing supports what he is saying.

I was just asking if he had something to back it up, otherwise to me it just seems like another random statement on a forum. That's all. And your mechanic isn't the one looking to be out on the edge right now.:(
Yes, without rereading it seems all of this here is hearsay apart from one poster claiming experience but not saying what - which year, what distance, what application.
Did you expect any better?
You haven't said that you've been over at the Fortuner forum. Maybe I'm the only one who has.
The sources you mention are very variable in detail and credibility and few even address long-term performance.
If there's an international model take a look at the JD Power dependability survey.
Locally read the reviews on www.productreview.com.au. A couple of issues get a mention that the Tojo fanboys here haven't heard about.

BlueCollie

Yeah I know and I have never measured it however I find it hard to believe that there is a 50mm difference considering tyre size ect, I'll put a tape measure on it when I get a minute.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was BS by the marketing department to score some points against the ranger. Although the new hilux "rugged" has a listed clearance of 220mm or so which is a bit odd.

nonzero

Yes, without rereading it seems all of this here is hearsay apart from one poster claiming experience but not saying what - which year, what distance, what application.
Did you expect any better?
You haven't said that you've been over at the Fortuner forum. Maybe I'm the only one who has.
The sources you mention are very variable in detail and credibility and few even address long-term performance.
If there's an international model take a look at the JD Power dependability survey.
Locally read the reviews on www.productreview.com.au. A couple of issues get a mention that the Tojo fanboys here haven't heard about.

Yours is hearsay also. Those sources he mentioned are likely a lot more reliable then some mechanic.

Spooner

At the end of the day in the real world.
Who really cares :D
dumb.jpg

Ziggy

Yours is hearsay also. Those sources he mentioned are likely a lot more reliable then some mechanic.
Which sources? Journalists reviews? Lol.
Wikipedia? That anyone can edit. Comic.
How many broken 4WDs do you work on each week?
What are your trade qualifications?
You say no one can make a judgement unless they're an auto engineer - are you?

boobook

Me too.. I think the capability of the Fortuner is way more than what my neighbour needs regardless.

My take away from all this is that it's in the moderately serious 4wd category, not the Rav 4 / Kluger category. That was the original main point I asked the forum for. More than enough for what my mate wants.

Tink

Yep, done arguing with Ziggy whose only defence is to attack the person rather than provide any facts. Been there, done that, more than once.
Tink
B5636FB3-155A-4B37-8F87-9636782F6D89.jpeg

boobook

I must say, for the record, for anyone else researching into this. Advice to anyone considering a Fortuner.

Here is my summary of this thread and my limited research for a mate.

I can't find any evidence on any website, or forum, or report, anywhere, including Fortuner forums around the world - including the Philippines where the thing is a top selling 4wd that the Fortuner has any cracked chassis, cracked panels, or structural weaknesses, poor build quality or different chassis design to the Hilux apart from one poster here who claims that there are structural issues and poor build quality based on the advice of an unnamed engineer who would supposedly know.

I only researched this to the extent that my neighbour asked me for advice, and have no long term interest in the vehicle so don't intent to look into this any more. I suggest that if you are looking to purchase a Fortuner you do your own independent research. The poster on this forum who claims to know of issues based on the structural engineer said he will update the forum on proof in about 3 months. I suggest that you check back then if you are serious about this vehicle if you think the claims may be credible. He may be right. But read the posts carefully before making up your mind.

Anyway my advice to my mate was go for it.