HEMA HX2

Kippie

HEMA launched the HX2, a dedicated tablet with their software and maps. It costs $749. It's a direct competitor to the Garmin which sells around $1000.

I hope the HX2 will live up to expectations.
For the time being I will stick with my Samsung tablet, ExploreOz, Memory Map, WikiCamps and Avenza for less than $500 all up.

Anyone have any experience with the HX2?

John U

For the time being I will stick with my Samsung tablet, Memory Map, plus map purchases for less than $400 all up.

It needs to be a big step up. No one seems to able to get this right. Haven't heard a lot about the Garmin but experience with their other gear over the years has shown it must be really hard to do well (or I think in a completely different way to the majority).

Karl Fehlauer

Nah, I am sticking with my old Samsung Tablet, OziExplorer and maps that friends have given me for less than $300 all up :D

It all works well and I don't see the need to upgrade yet and I have no need to save or share stuff to the Cloud so that others who are too lazy to do their own research can use o_O

Karl

rob_macca67

Here's the difference between the HX1 and HX2: Hema GPS Comparison - Technical Specifications

When u look at the Processor, its only classed as a medium grade whereas the HX1 was a Cheap one...
Vector Maps is a bonus
Smaller battery but longer battery life... apparently
Double the size RAM (2GB) for HX2
USB-C vs USB-2.0
bit better in the wireless area
different Navigation system - HERE Nav Engine vs iGo Nav Engine
and a few other benefits...

But... no mention on how it handles the heat of the car interior... A mate of mine went through 2 of the HX1's when he left them inside the car..

Also, I've also heard that they already have HX7 and HX8 (I think) out for testing, so why would u buy the HX2 "if" this is true... They will really need to step up in reliability before I would consider one plus u only get 3years of FREE Maps for both ON and OFF road... What the???

Chatty

For the time being I will stick with my Samsung tablet, ExploreOz, Memory Map, WikiCamps and Avenza for less than $500 all up.
For the time being I will stick with my Samsung tablet, Memory Map, plus map purchases for less than $400 all up.
Nah, I am sticking with my old Samsung Tablet, OziExplorer and maps that friends have given me for less than $300 all up :D
Do I hear $200 in the room? $200? Yes $200 from the man in the cow fu#&er shirt at the back of the room!

Do I have $100? $100 anyone? Surely someone in the room must have set up a complete navigation system for $100? YES!! $100 from the man with the $50,000 fully kitted LandCruiser 200 in the middle row.

CTL

I use an iPad with Hema 4x4 Maps (not Explorer) and have found the Hema maps to be accurate.
Most of the Hema complaints about inaccuracies appear to be in the Vic high country (from what I have read on here and elsewhere). I have done one trip down there, on mostly main tracks, and the Hema maps were spot on. Maybe different if I went exploring minor tracks.
What I find difficult to accept about the Hema tablets is their price when other tablets with their $99 map package does a similar job and on a bigger screen. Plus the other tablets can be used for other apps etc.

G_ute

Most USB coonections are crappy for harsh environments, like offroad with vbration and dust. And the tiny USB-C is about the worst.
Not just a dig at Hema, its the same for most others.
There are ruggedised USB connections but I have not seen them being used,

John U

I use an iPad with Hema 4x4 Maps (not Explorer) and have found the Hema maps to be accurate.
Most of the Hema complaints about inaccuracies appear to be in the Vic high country (from what I have read on here and elsewhere). I have done one trip down there, on mostly main tracks, and the Hema maps were spot on. Maybe different if I went exploring minor tracks.
What I find difficult to accept about the Hema tablets is their price when other tablets with their $99 map package does a similar job and on a bigger screen. Plus the other tablets can be used for other apps etc.
Does the Hema unit offer navigation assistance on bush tracks? This would be something that my current set up doesn't do.

Albynsw

I do the same as you and have never had an issue in general with the Hema although there has been cases where another map has had more detail than the Hema
I am happy to have my iPad mounted and work off that

Reactions: CTL

Kippie

I don't think that the HX2 can cover the same content as a general purpose tablet with several navigation apps on it. For general bush travel I rely on ExploreOz and Memory Map's state topography maps. For national and state parks I use the relevant pdf maps in Avenza. For camping spots, dump points and other POIs I use WikiCamps. In the past I have used HEMA maps on the Memory Map app, but the updates are too expensive for what you get.

Karl Fehlauer

Do I hear $200 in the room? $200? Yes $200 from the man in the cow fu#&er shirt at the back of the room!

Do I have $100? $100 anyone? Surely someone in the room must have set up a complete navigation system for $100? YES!! $100 from the man with the $50,000 fully kitted LandCruiser 200 in the middle row.

Actually I do :D - it's my Samsung Tab A that I got for free, added OziExplorer and my maps all for under $100 but I only drive a Nissan Navara D40 :confused:

Karl

CTL

Does the Hema unit offer navigation assistance on bush tracks? This would be something that my current set up doesn't do.
Hema 4x4 Maps don’t offer turn by turn assistance. Not sure about the HX2

TonyF8

No mate, hema have actually left off some iconic crossings on Cape York as well

rob_macca67

Hema 4x4 Maps don’t offer turn by turn assistance. Not sure about the HX2
I believe it does but under the street mapping... I'm not sure what happens with your breadcrumb trail when u switch between the On and Off road-mapping sections...

LurchWA

I have the HN7 and the lack of an alternate way to connect to a PC is frigging joke. Windows Mobile Device Centre has been on the outer for years and is no longer supported so I cannot connect to my PC anymore. Is good for major tracks but thinking that others do it way better, have GPS Tracks and that's pretty good too. How does the HX connect to a PC these days?

Freyta

Serious question for someone that HAS purchased the HX2, can you please PM me? I have a big ask about the device.

Prefer someone in Melbourne,but I can work with anyone from Australia.

Oh yeah, BCF and Anaconda both have the HX2 for $649 t the moment