Best cooking set up for long range touring

John U

Tried out the little stove for the last couple of morning coffees and it worked a treat. The wind guards can fold up close to the coffee pot to contain the heat and it brings it to the boil faster than the conventional butane stoves.

View attachment 75943

The only negative I would say is it only has a three leg trifet and there is a good chance you could tip a pot or pan off it when in use but perfect for the coffee pot. There is another similar model that has a larger 4 leg trifet which I have ordered to see what it is like, it doesn’t have the wind guard though which is why I didn’t get it first up.
All of this for a product I don’t even need in the first place hahaha
3 leg design might be deliberate. 3 legs will sit flat, without rocking, on any kind of surface. 4 legs needs a flat surface or varying leg lengths to prevent rocking.

Not sure if you already knew this. Did not find this out until digging very deep into buying a bike work stand and ending up with a couple that were only any good in the garage.

If you've got a flat table top, no dramas.

Albynsw

3 leg design might be deliberate. 3 legs will sit flat, without rocking, on any kind of surface. 4 legs needs a flat surface or varying leg lengths to prevent rocking.

Not sure if you already knew this. Did not find this out until digging very deep into buying a bike work stand and ending up with a couple that were only any good in the garage.

If you've got a flat table top, no dramas.

John I probably didn’t word that very well.
No real issues with it being 3 legged it is that the trivet is 3 arms and are a small radius so a pan with a bit of weight in the handle wanted to tip off the cooker, the cooker itself wasn’t moving though
This is the other one I ordered to try
You can see the trivet extends out twice as wide and has four arms of support so might be better to cook with a pan on. It doesn’t have a wind guard though
Will test it when it arrives

Albynsw

Ok the other cooker came in todays post in time for my second coffee brew
Very compact unit and supports a pan well
9051733D-8112-4AF3-A310-40B4605EF83A.jpeg

F7FD5E2A-73B6-4D71-94A1-A10B12AB8039.jpeg

The coffee pot didn’t sit on it very well but was fine with my trivet I use on the normal gas cooker

B34F3A2F-AA97-40AE-BB41-CF2388FE346B.jpeg

So basically the round one with the wind deflector is best for dedicated coffee pot use but as an all rounder I would buy the square one. The square one packs down smaller as you can see by the difference in box size

72D8FC29-11BE-4179-8EF0-C21B5230406D.jpeg

At $20 bucks you can’t go wrong particularly if you want to carry a backup stove

Albynsw

How hot does the fuel cannister get? It looks close.

I ran it for about 10 minutes on high using the skillet pan and it did not even get warm. Those cans get cold when using them so it probably helps but I don’t see it as any cause for concern

Albynsw

Update

I have been using the round stove nearly every day for coffee making and it is fine. I initially put it away and was using our kitchen gas cooktop but now keep the butane one out permanently as it is nearly twice as fast to boil.
The adjustable wind guard really concentrates the heat under the pot

For a dedicated water boiler these things are a winner