VMS GPS my review

markortink

Hi, i just bought a VMS 700 HDX portable GPS and used it on a 4 day Vic High Country trip last week.

I bought it because my Hilux had the older HS2 version when i purchased it and it was my reversing camera as well, i got it for $345 vs typical $700 for this class of GPS, and reviews weren't strongly for or againt it. I also really liked the vector street navigator which also had every 4wd track under the sun with names in 3D, i never even needed to use the offroad raster maps.

Overall i am disappointed for the following reasons.
- Street navigator no longer has all the 4wd tracks and has lost all the track names.
- Offroad maps have no track up option, only north up.
- Offroad gps lets you drive off the edge of the screen, have to constantly fiddle with an icon to centre.
- Offroad gps does not detect when you have driven off the useable part of a map and just shows grey. Again you have to fiddle to force it to load next map.
- Navextras toolbox used to update maps is flakey, have to fiddle between properly closing unit, connecting to pc, and starting toolbox to get it to work, takes multiple attempts. Unit can't even connect directly have to take sd card out and plug it straight into pc.
- Documentation is abysmal.

Overall conclusion is VMS is a company which is not investing in its software or hardware and can't even be bothered writing documentation. The gps software is feature poor and flakey, the pc software is flakey, the hardware can't connect to new versions of windows. I give VMS that there are a large number of maps preloaded, perhaps the company has too many mapping gurus and no user experience developers with 4wd experience?

In hindsight i should have bought a cheapo reversing camera and an android tablet with a 4wd GPS app.

Welcome anyone elses point of view, i am not familiar with Hema or other competitors, maybe they are all like this.

Bomber2012

I've heard of a few people having problems with these units (not just VMS) I've always thought they were overpriced for what you get . I bought a cheapie Elinz unit off e bay a few years ago , it's got GPS , radio/dvd , reversing camera and Bluetooth for the phone . The maps on it are great the only thing I'm not happy with is the hands free on the phone echoes for the other person during phone conversations . It cost me about $400 so overall I'm pretty happy with it , some people are happy with their Hema , VMS units but a lot have problems with them like yours . I still think they need to present a better product at a better price before I'd buy one .

markortink

Hi Luke, thinking about it I reckon the GPS sellers are like printer sellers, they make their money on selling the maps and the GPS itself is virtually an overhead, that's why they are generally crappy as pieces of hardware/software. Solution, smart phones and tablets which are brilliant pieces of hardware/software and force the GPS companies to comply with user experience rules, and they still get to sell their maps!

dare

markortink I also have a 700HDX and I am very much in agreeance with your points. I had just assumed that such a product with such a price tag would be much more refined. Overall it's like using something from 10 years ago. It's very laggy, isn't very intuitive to use and overall just feels unfinished.

I especially think being able to drive off the edge of a map without it loading the next one is very poor. At the very least they could have stitched the maps with small tiles into one big map.

It also wouldn't have killed them to supply some sort of instruction book.

I've have (free!) apps on my phone which are much more refined. At a later date I'll move onto a tablet. I do like that the VMS can be hooked up to a reverse camera but to me that's not reason enough to stick with it.