Softer 4WD recommendations

ComfortablyNumb

I'm looking at getting rid of my old Hilux and getting something which is much more comfy on the road for longer drives, without the hard-core 4WD capability, but still 4WD/All-WD so it can handle the odd slippery track for fishing. My more rugged off-road fishing days are over.

I'm thinking Nissan X-Trail, Rav4, Subaru Forester/Liberty, Suzuki Vitara etc. A bit more clearance than your standard Camry would be good.

2nd hand, spend up to $20K. Reliability, fuel economy and on-road comfort is more important than all the bells & whistles.

Any recommendations/thoughts/experiences welcome.

Cheers

smitty_r51

R51 Pathfinder of 2010-2013 or Pajero around the same time

4 corner coils, drives like a car, very comfy and they had most of the common issues you read about fixed for those.

Plenty of space inside and will both go anywhere your hilux would

Albynsw

Not sure about the newer versions but I bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara for them to learn on and was a great car and very well built but they are two wheel drive and can be a bit sketchy in the wet.
I would favour one of the all wheel drive options

cam04

Being a sube man, it's going to be the forester/outback from me every time. They ride beautifully on road and are better off it than most awd's. And if the need/want arises there are accessories and lift kits available cheaply (sub $800 for a 2" lift on mine if I want it, and a rear locker is also sub $800 and you'll have a car that will happily destroy itself in rock gardens haha). I'll take the forester over the BT50 every time if I don't have a specific need for the ute. A lifted grand vitara is a proper 4wd but won't ride/handle like a forester.

Last edited:

LongRoad2Go

Being a sube man, it's going to be the forester/outback from me every time. They ride beautifully on road and are better off it than most awd's. And if the need/want arises there are accessories and lift kits available cheaply (sub $800 for a 2" lift on mine if I want it, and a rear locker is also sub $800 and you'll have a car that will happily destroy itself in rock gardens haha). I'll take the forester over the BT50 every time if I don't have a specific need for the ute. A lifted grand vitara is a proper 4wd but won't ride/handle like a forester.
Agreed, I drive a 20 year old Forester manual with hi-lo range - bombproof with very good aircon/heating and comfort. If you can get an early manual model in good nick, happy days.

ComfortablyNumb

cam04

What about an auto that is around 10yrs old?
Any issues with their autos?
This is more along the lines of what I’ve seen in owners forums over the years. I’ve had subes since 2002 for zero major issue including our now 5 year old forester with the CVT. I actually like the way it drives.

According to Consumer Reports -- which collects data annually on many thousands of cars owned by its members -- the Forester transmission (in the category "transmission major") has had at least average reliability (compared to all other cars of the same year) every year since 2015. Since 2017 it has been in the top rank, far above average.

In the category "transmission minor" it's been even better. Now, these statistics do not separate out manual transmissions, but in these years some 90% or more of all Forester transmissions have been CVTs.”

10 y.o. Would put it beyond any of the bad head gaskets one batch got also.

Join forester.org for any info at all. It is American based with an Australian section. All foresters are made in Japan so American content is valid. Their imprezza and outback are built in Indiana and are not the same as what we get here.

Last edited: