Portable gas cooker ??

phs

Hi,

We are looking to buy a good portable Gas cooker, we have had portable units like the Ubute ect but over the years they have all broken.

We were set on the Coleman Hyperflame it does work well in the wind but it's gas control is fairly poor on a good day it's too hot even on the lowest setting.

Any recommendation on a good unit ?

Hoyks

Coleman make good stuff, I have had my dual fuel stove for years and it works a treat. Stuffing around with petrol and pump starting the stove isn't for everyone though.

As for it being too hot on low. That's probably down to the issue that the flame has to be at a certain level so it doesn't blow out in the wind.
You could add a diffuser over the flame to spread it over a bigger area so it doesn't burn the dinner to the bottom of the pan. You can either use the specially designed diffuser (below), a baking dish, metal plate or just a slab of metal over the burner. Copper works best, but tends to get bent easily. 2mm ally would work too.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Sim...ctric-Slow-Cook-Ring-21cm-8-New-/322497425645

CaptainBanana

The snowys website has pretty detailed top 10 kinda thing for various items including these stoves . I'm looking for a new one too and found the list helpful.

Reactions: phs

phs

Thanks for the replies guys,

Great info, maybe I'll just go for El cheapo for now until I can make my mind up

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
I’ve had issues with my cheapies on really cold mornings. Just need two canisters that you can swap over when/if the flow gets too restricted. I’ve had mornings where I’ve had to swap back and forth a few times, but it’s not something that’s happened often.

Hoyks

We have a primus 2burner very similar to the one you posted mate. Had it for about 9 yrs now and still going strong, also has its own carry case that is well made and protects it well.

I had one of those years ago. It worked well when there was 2 of us, but there wasn't a lot of room to work on top. Could only fit 2 medium saucepans or a BBQ plate across both burners. The big-ish frying pan basically stopped you using the 2nd burner and the wind guards could be a bit of a pain.

80lover96gxl

I had one of those years ago. It worked well when there was 2 of us, but there wasn't a lot of room to work on top. Could only fit 2 medium saucepans or a BBQ plate across both burners. The big-ish frying pan basically stopped you using the 2nd burner and the wind guards could be a bit of a pain.
Yep totally agree, we used it extensively camping with my two boys and found it a little small so it was packed away for several yrs. Now its just the wife n I its quite handy to use for a couple of saucepans and a cheapo butane stove for the frying pan. Seems quite a good combo and both fit snugly in my draws on top of one another so they pack away well too.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
If it suits you, my vote goes to the Primus two burner.

I still pack a cheap butane stove for those odd occasions when the Weber won’t do (don’t drink coffee, so I generally have no need to boil water), but this Primus stove is what I used to take everywhere (and still do take sometimes)..

943E7BD7-5F33-4091-941A-3596C4AEB61C.jpeg

The right hand windshield is just resting in there. I removed it from the bottom so I can lift it in/out as I please.

B45AF98E-5836-432A-958B-BD78215A541C.jpeg

With it off, I can fit the big cast iron frypan and a billy on it. Would be enough for more than two of you aren’t big eaters.

1AC698A8-F8A9-4B26-AF2D-16DF3053D7A9.jpeg

I have no idea how old it is (inherited it with the caravan), but the piece of newspaper that my grandfather packed inside it to stop it rattling is dated 22 September 1989, so it’s had a pretty good run.
If you look carefully, a hole has rusted through the top of the right burner, but it has no effect on its operation, and it’s still going strong.

EDIT: Looking at Brian's newer model, it doesn't look like the wind shields would be removable these days.

Last edited:

Traveller

1415943.jpg

Coleman powerpack, can use the green bottles or get the hose adapter for big bottles-shop around, about $35 delivered - just bought another one Sat morning off ebay.

greenmav

Another vote for the $20 buck cheapy, I now have gone and bought the double burner version with the hot plate. Works sweet, use the single for the coffee stops at the side of the road.

Triton14

My experience is that butane burners do not work well in a sub zero environment but I still carry a 'suitcase burner' as an emergency.
Twin LPG burners are pretty cheap & so is the gas so that's what I would recommend.
Basic units like twin gas mate or similar units work well & are pretty cheap, they are all pretty similar & I wouldn't spend more than I needed to on a name.
I have 3 units & one has an under grill which I like because I can toast bread or rolls while still cooking on top.
Something like this grill-
https://www.rays.com.au/wanderer-wa...ner/388507.html#q=gas+stoves&segment=1&page=1

Reactions: phs

greenmav

Might have to get one of those units ,with a grill, making toast while camping is usually hard work. We don’t see much sub 0 here in s.a so not so much of an issue.