New battery posts on wrong side(not ends)

Triton14

Hi Earthers, about 4 weeks ago I bought a new Optima D34 & haven't fitted it yet(but I have unpackaged it!) as my battery of 5 & 1/2 years is still hanging in there.
I am going on a high country trip soon & want to fit it before I go as the temps will be very low & I don't trust this battery will make it.

I attempted to do a mock fit the other day & bugger me realised the posts are on the other side of the battery.

Anyway its totally my mistake as I didn't ask in the store as I just didn't think about it (but the sales guy didn't ask either and he probably should have!!) but the posts are on the other side to my original battery as you can see from my edited picture.
battery.jpg

Moving the negative terminal isn't really going to be an issue but the positive side will be because of that big red terminal connector thingy(don't even know what it is?), even with the battery out it was hard to move!

Apart from trying to take it back(I recon its been to long now & its unpackaged so I think they will just say no?) has anyone come across a similar situation before & might offer me some sound advice.

Cheers
Adrian

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yep. I did the same, however because I had just bought it locally I took it back and swapped it.
Depends on how close to you the seller is I guess.
If you can personally take it back, you can try by taking in a photo on your phone, your receipts, undamaged as new ( hopefully) battery. They can do a check on it to see that it is ok so far as float charge, usage, damage etc.
If it's a distance thing, try phoning and sorting it out that way.
Maybe let them know you are asking for some advice on a site with over 50,000 members. Ha Ha. :)

Triton14

They are about 35 minutes drive away.
I will call them tomorrow.
I guess I am looking at worst case scenario, if they decide no to swap it.

I cant believe they didn't even ask thought!!
Probably dont care as long as they are making a sale :confused:

Mind you every picture of the same battery I see has the sale pole config. so Im not sure if they have alternative pole locations?
I will have to ask.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Correct me if I am wrong. The d34 shown in this link to the optima site is the one you are after?
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/bluetop-dual-purpose-deep-cycle-and-starting
OPTIMA_BT_D34M_Right_copy.jpg

BLUETOP® 34M

Key Benefits

• Both dual-purpose and starting applications available
  • Up to 3x more recharges than other marine batteries
  • More than 15 times the vibration resistance
  • Spill-proof
  • Mountable in virtually any position
  • Maintenance-free
  • Optimal starting power (dual purpose and starting applications available)
  • Works well as a boat battery or RV battery
Specs

Model 34M
Weight 38.4 lb
C20 Capacity: 50 Ah
Post Type: Dual SAE & 5/16 Stainless Stud
CCA: 800 Amp
Width 6.88 in
Length: 10.06 in
Height: 7.94 in

greysrigging

I did the same thing, sourced a deep cycle from my young bloke's father-in-law ( local auto sparky ).... terminals on the wrong side.... it was the only one he had and it was very favorable 'mates rates' so with a bit of jiggery pook, we made it work.

Triton14

I think you need a D35 yellow top to get the terminal positions your after.

That's the easiest out, but not sure if they will & also not sure if there is a different post position at all.

Ill find out in the morning :)

If not its going to be a mission!

Triton14

Yep that looks right.
I will be calling them in the morning, just have tofind the receipt
Cheers