Mt Walker via Rydal

Discoverer

A mate & I set out to get to the top of Mt Walker yesterday. We turned off Sydney Rd onto an unnamed road that looked like it would get us onto Mt Walker Rd but it was very steep with loose scree, rutted and cambered. We opted for plan B which was to go into Rydal and turn right at the pub, meander our way through the show ground and onto another unnamed road that would also take us to Mt Walker rd. We found another hill badly rutted, stepped etc which despite some effort we were unable to get up. Plan C saw us come through Lidsdale State forest, into Marangaroo NP drive through the Cox's River for 100 metres or so. Another 200 metres or so later we found a steep uphill track to the left which we followed up to Mt Walker rd, the trees on this section were rather friendly and there was a section of large shale stones that we had to drive up, large stones were thrown out the back so if you're in convoy you would have to leave space which we did. At the top we turned left towards Mount Walker and through that section there were many rutted and large shale stone sections we had to traverse as well. We got to about 100 m before the summit and had to leg the rest. The Last hundred metres is large steps and loose scree and rutted as well. The view is brilliant. We then followed Mount Walker Road down to the tail end of the Cox's river before it enters into Lake Lyell and camped there the night. There are sections of the mt Walker Road where they are deeply rutted with large loose shale stones as well.
I drove a Land Rover discovery 300 TDI. 2 inch lift with Mickey Thompson tyres and aired down to 25 psi. It was a fun two days out. It would've been more accessible with a bigger lift and lockers and a winch.
The attached photo shows plan A & B. The A is on the first hill that we dodged and the B shows a track that we couldn't get up and turned back on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,363
Last edited:

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah some great driving out there. Was out there few weekends ago with Toddyh, he seems to know his way around quite well and I just followed. The climb up Mt Walker is known to be a tough climb. We had a bit of a go, however the sun was slowly setting and we were all in need of a fire and some beers to cool us down from the fire so we continued to camp!
Great spot and well worth a drive IMO!

Toddyh

As Gavo said we were out there a couple of weeks back. I'm not sure which hills turned you around but I'd assume one was the track under the power lines? That track is doable but you need to pick your line carefully.
I had a quick go at the Mt Walker summit track but it was late in the day and reaching camp before dark was more appealing than running out the winch. One day I might have another go and spend the time to do it. Front and rear lockers would certainly make it easier (I have rear lockers only).

Jaye

That hill your referring to is called "fire truck". It's quite doable, but as Toddyh said you do need to pick your line.