Mt Beauty/Bright - High Country Day Trips

milneyy

Hey guys, my old man has moved near Mt Beauty/Bright and we're heading up for a week or so over Christmas.

Looking for some easy day trips in the area and any particular points of interest or fishing spots.

Have the rooftop maps of the area and happy to explore but always better to get recommendations.

Car 1 (me) is a twin locked, lifted, mud tyres, winch etc etc etc Triton, I'll give almost anything a go.
Car 2 is a brand new Ranger that i believe is lifted but still on road tyres, and is about to head on a 12 month caravan journey - so he's not interested in any chance of damage

Bomber2012

A good day trip would be up thru Mt Hotham then down Dinner Plain track onto Birregun rd to Jones rd , Upper Dargo rd , Dargo high plains rd up to the highway and back to Bright . Easy drive , very scenic .

jacnden

A good day trip would be up thru Mt Hotham then down Dinner Plain track onto Birregun rd to Jones rd , Upper Dargo rd , Dargo high plains rd up to the highway and back to Bright . Easy drive , very scenic .
That's a nice looking drive bomber, is it low range or could you do it in hi? How many hours return to bright?

milneyy

Looks like Blue Rag is a winner for a day out, from what I've seen it looks like it's straight forward apart from a section near the end which can upset some?

jacnden

We stayed at harrietteville out of bright, went up to blue rag then back via twins jeep track and mt Murray tk , down the Buckland valley and had late lunch in bright. Easy day

mikehzz

That end section was just a bit rocky, enough to make a standard car maybe scrape underneath if you missed a line, but it was graded a few years ago. I'm not sure of its current condition, but it shouldn't be that bad in my opinion.

mikehzz

These were taken near the summit just before it was graded in January 2013.

VHC30.JPG

VHC31.JPG

VHC32.JPG

slivertoy

just done Blue rag 2 weeks ago, track is in pretty good, back to original condition, rocky in some sections, lot's of puddles, but what is missing is the narrow, butt clenching bits about 3/4 the way along, you know the one's, bonnet pointing up to the sky, dropping off the top and not knowing where to steer too !!!
(tip #1 it turns right), it's now a lot wider than before and quite easy.

milneyy

Thanks fellas, Blue Rag was a bit of fun. Ripper day out for it. Ended up being a solo trip.

Track is in good condition, a bit of rock and some mildly steep sections but nothing exciting for any basic setup 4wd with a little bit of experience.

Attachments

• IMG_4753.JPG
    IMG_4753.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 235

Ziggy

Short but pretty : Tawonga Gap Tk, Dungeys Tk to the W Kiewa ford, up to the Horseyards, then return to Mt Beauty via W Kiewa Logging Rd.
Also further west, go up Stony Tops Tk to the end on N Razorback. Great views. Not for a big wagon though.

Jon Charles

hey mate i''ve been going to mt beauty all my life but this was my first with a capable car. we did a little morning trip to the top of mt emu via the eskdale spur track the summit is where the hang gliders take off. Gives you a view over the kiewa valley

Jon Charles

ill keep that one in mind for next chrissy. just checked the map its opposite the eskdale spur track so ill find it easy enough. so many tracks on the map its hard to tell which ones are walking tracks. went out to one and it was closed to vehicles used for horses and walking

milneyy

hey mate i''ve been going to mt beauty all my life but this was my first with a capable car. we did a little morning trip to the top of mt emu via the eskdale spur track the summit is where the hang gliders take off. Gives you a view over the kiewa valley

Ha. That's the first place I took my old man to, can see his house from there. We flashed the spotlights and called the mrs back at the house and they could see us too.

You should make the trek to the Beaufort bomber crash near eskdale too. Walking track is overgrown but followable with some effort.

Thanks for the extra track tips guys. Plenty of time to check out the area over the next lot of years