Meguiars Scratch X 2.0

MawsonSnow

Hey all,

Today myself and Gav (GUnka) from the forum had a go at removing the bush pinstriping from his black Patrol and the results were actually quite surprising,

We used the Meguiars Scratch X first followed by the turtle wax black blend wax,

Before:

After:

mac_man_luke

Scratch X is not a great polish, although it does the job.

If your really serious look at the 3m or Menzerna range on foam pads.

GUnka

Thanks again for today mate.

The car came out looking for better than I thought is was going to. Damn glad we decided to use the Supercheap DA buffer polisher though as am sure arms would have been falling off had we persisted with hand rubbing the Scratch X. Not mention would have lost a few kg's in sweat too.

It looks like a 15 month old car again and not a 15 yo one. :eek:

Would be good if Scratch X could make me look 15 years younger...lol.

MawsonSnow

Yeah its not too bad it made the Patrol look so much better,

Cheers for the tip Luke where can I buy those polishers from?

Last edited:

MawsonSnow

Thanks again for today mate.

The car came out looking for better than I thought is was going to. Damn glad we decided to use the Supercheap DA buffer polisher though as am sure arms would have been falling off had we persisted with hand rubbing the Scratch X. Not mention would have lost a few kg's in sweat too.

It looks like a 15 month old car again and not a 15 yo one. :eek:

Would be good if Scratch X could make me look 15 years younger...lol.

No problems mate glad to help,

Yeah wasnt expecting miracles but it worked really well.

cloughcarib

Looks amazing, reminds me that I have to do mine soon. To heck with hand buffing.

Definitely agree with the 3M rubbing compound, but more partial to the double sided 3M lambswool pads than foam. Throw them in the washing machine when you're done.

mac_man_luke

Lambs wool is good of you want high cut, not so good for gentle work IMO.

I still wash my foam pads in the washing machine :)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Gotta be careful too, some pinstriping takes a fair amount of polishing, and modern paint isn't as thick as it used to be.

I've never used Meguiars products, but would think the Scratch x 2.0 isn't a terribly aggressive cutting compound, so used with something like Turtle Wax, would work fine to reduce pinstriping and disguise it well.
Maybe save a good cut for about 1/2 way through ownership, and again before selling.

Looks nice again Gav / Sean, that deep black again . . . black is a bugger for pinstripes of course, hopefully you can avoid any dune vegetation next weekend :D

MawsonSnow

Gotta be careful too, some pinstriping takes a fair amount of polishing, and modern paint isn't as thick as it used to be.

I've never used Meguiars products, but would think the Scratch x 2.0 isn't a terribly aggressive cutting compound, so used with something like Turtle Wax, would work fine to reduce pinstriping and disguise it well.
Maybe save a good cut for about 1/2 way through ownership, and again before selling.

Looks nice again Gav / Sean, that deep black again . . . black is a bugger for pinstripes of course, hopefully you can avoid any dune vegetation next weekend :D

Hey Les

Nah it's not very abrasive at all, it was designed for modern cars with thin paint and clear coats :)