Mayford Spur Track Via Dargo High Plains

Mk05explorer

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum but an avid 4wd'er with high to expert experience. I was looking threw some maps on Google earth and I started to remember the Mayford Spur Track which runs from Mayford camp grounds to Dinner Plain. My question is does anyone know if this track is passable? From what I have read so far it's been closed for a number of years due to many 4wd accidents and possibly a few deaths? Which really doesn't add up for me as many of the high country tracks are more than capable of accidents and even fatalities at the hands of a not so experienced driver. So even if the Mayford Spur Track is closed I think ide still love to investigate it and find out the REAL reasons for closure. I also read it is very steep. If closed for the reason of being too steep why did they not pur a dozer or grader through and even it out a little?

Cheers guys just looking for info.

Sam.

Swaggie

That is correct, only one way in and one way out...

Dargo High Plains Rd... Not sure if it has re-opened yet...

Mk05explorer

That is correct, only one way in and one way out...

Dargo High Plains Rd... Not sure if it has re-opened yet...

Thanks for that Swaggie. I'm aware of the seasonal closures. But just very interested in mayford spur track (the permanently closed track leading to Dinner plain) perhaps we could even try to get a petition going to reopen it with some help from vic parks.

I heard the rumor floating that it was once a test track and if man and 4wd could make it in one piece. Then respect was earned generously.
I also learned that it was so steep that back in the days of horse back the riders had to dismount or they would fall forward off the saddle.

Swaggie

Hi mate
Dargo High Plains was closed out of seasonal closure... Plus there are fires up and around SW Hotham Heights and 14kms NE of Crooked River all now stating under control...

Not sure what it would take to reopn the track, you can see it from the Mayford Spur Valley looking Eastt.. There's a heap of trees been pushed over by the looks of it... That was in Feb this year...

Reactions: phs

Bomber2012

Sounds as if it would require plenty of $$$$$ to re open it , thats probably enough of a reason for parks to keep it closed .:(

Last edited:

Mk05explorer

Yeah fair enough guys it probly would be a fair ask to have it reopened. The thought was there for a minute. And yes that's correct there are multiple trees laying over the track almost from one end to another. That in itself would have been a fair bit of work. For anyone interested this is the track we are talking about in the image below.
Yellow line - dinner plain track
Red line - mayford spur track
Blue line - king spur track
20171228_083038.png

phs

Cath see them re opening it. But they proabably should as Mayford is now a bit of a trap 1 way in and out which is not a quick run

It looks like Mayford spur rises 500m over 1.6km. Steep but there are steeping tracks in the surrounding HC

39327464932_cca27cfe8a.jpg

39356813531_637552072e.jpg

boobook

They won't reopen it. It is bloody steep and clay down the bottom, Nearer the top they have cleared it as a fire break then layed the trees across the track Hundreds of them. Interestingly you can still walk it, especially the top part, and they used it to light a fire break on the 15th Feb 2013. Same for King Spur and McMillans track when there was the first easterly in the 2013 fires.

It's hard to get to, and even find at the bottom across the Dargo.

Here are some pics that look like they were taken before 2013
http://4x4earth.com/track/Mayford--Mayfors-Spur-Track-CLOSED.1810/

Oh, if you do go into Mayford and it rains, staying put is the best option. Took 7 hours of winching one time to come back up King Spur Track.

Last edited:

Swaggie

They won't reopen it. It is bloody steep and clay down the bottom, Nearer the top they have cleared it as a fire break then layed the trees across the track Hundreds of them. Interestingly you can still walk it, especially the top part, and they used it to light a fire break on the 15th Feb 2013. Same for King Spur and McMillans track when there was the first easterly in the 2013 fires.

It's hard to get to, and even find at the bottom across the Dargo.

Here are some pics that look like they were taken before 2013
http://4x4earth.com/track/Mayford--Mayfors-Spur-Track-CLOSED.1810/

Oh, if you do go into Mayford and it rains, staying put is the best option. Took 7 hours of winching one time to come back up King Spur Track.

Hi mate
Makes you wonder where it's going to all stop, you go in at 10kms hour, lightening strike causes a fire, people cannot get out in time (unless helicopter in time).. Then its all shut down... I would think there are steeper tracks out there, they should put in switchbacks like trig track...

Mk05explorer

Hi mate
Makes you wonder where it's going to all stop, you go in at 10kms hour, lightening strike causes a fire, people cannot get out in time (unless helicopter in time).. Then its all shut down... I would think there are steeper tracks out there, they should put in switchbacks like trig track...

Exactly.. why not switch backs? I really wonder
They really have gone to some effort to keep people off the track with all those trees.. :/

boobook

I think you may be right Swaggie. I'm sure those trees weren't there when I first went in around 2002/3, but the track was closed even then. I'm sure they may have dropped the trees to stop the track being reformed. Perhaps they recleared the track for the 2009(?) fires which also went through there and dropped the trees to kill 2 birds.

Spooner

The tracks been closed to 4wd's for at least 12 years... Just wondering whether driver's have been slowly making progress from the top back to the river, hence the trees...
I agree , Its been closed for years , for a reason , due to accidents (deaths).
Its really no worse than other tracks in the area , we used to run it a lot , but that was 30 years ago , Last time I drove it was at least 15 years ago and it was pretty much the same as it always was.

phs

I have never driven it but does have quite the reputation, no reason they could not cut in switch backs like trig or dingo hill.

I was in there Last year, King spur is a long haul out if your in a hurry.

Walked up Butcher link track to the helipad a few days ago the steep section rises 390m over 1.6km. Just straight up no switch backs

Mk05explorer

Interesting indeed guys. I'm going to get in touch with parks on Monday or Tuesday (go in to the local office) and find out the info on the track and if will ever be reopened. Like Swaggie stated a few comments back, only one way in and out which is not great for fire seaso. Especially at such a unique beautiful location.

Spooner

Interesting indeed guys. I'm going to get in touch with parks on Monday or Tuesday (go in to the local office) and find out the info on the track and if will ever be reopened. Like Swaggie stated a few comments back, only one way in and out which is not great for fire seaso. Especially at such a unique beautiful location.
Let us know how you go mate , but I bet I know what they will say , beautiful location or not ;)

Mk05explorer

Let us know how you go mate , but I bet I know what they will say , beautiful location or not ;)
Yep I have a feeling too lol I will let you know what the verdict is.

Update - well it seems I didn't have to leave my house to get the gist of information I was seeking. I just received an email back from the Area Chief Manager Michael Dower. It reads as follows.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Sam,

The track from the Dargo River up to the Dinner Plain Track has now been shut for many decades and will not be re-opened. During its time open it posed many challenges for managers and due to grade was a safety risk. We utilised the road as a fire containment line during the 2003 fires and even then, it was risky for staff and contractors on machines.

Roading budgets for Parks Victoria are very limited and the money we do get must be prioritised carefully ad targeted on our priority tracks. We offer some of the best four-wheel driving in Australia and we are proud of our working relationship with Four Wheel Drive Victoria and its many clubs. We will continue to ensure we provide access to places like Mayford, Wonnangatta and Blue Rag but via the current network.

Kind Regards
Mike Dower

Last edited:

Sean Logue

Well there you go , great info guys. I was going to go to Mayford weekend just gone but it rain hard Friday night across VHC. I only found out about not going down King Spur when wet from a guy at TJM Albury. So we went Dargo , Eaglevale, Wonnangatta , Abbyyard home. What a mad run.

It's shame the Maps are not up to date. Just shows when new ones come out they don't check or find out about all tracks. These two maps are the latest and say nothing about Mayford Spur Tk being closed , I really thought Rooftop would have said closed.

Rooftop Map 2015
Hema 2017

Photo 2-1-18, 10 57 21 am by Sean Logue, on Flickr

Photo 2-1-18, 10 56 13 am by Sean Logue, on Flickr