Lest we forget.

Tink

My great uncle.
RIP brave soldier.
Never forgotten.

From the Toowoomba Railway Roll of Honour Board.
Hund, F. - Inevitably some soldiers of German descent changed their names when enlisting but 2656A Pte Fredrick Hund retained his when he enlisted on 4th October 1916. He was 20, single, Presbyterian and a clerk with his address being Cawdor, Crows Nest Line. He left from Fremantle, WA, on HMAT Miltiades A28 on 29th January 1917 in 2nd-11th Reinforcements to 51st Bn. He had enlisted in Toowoomba where he was born but his papers show that he originally left Brisbane on 27th October 1916 on HMAT Marathon A74 in 6th Reinforcements to 47th Bn but was put ashore at Fremantle with measles. Pte Hund was killed in action in Belgium on 12th October 1917 and is buried in Passchendaele New British Cemetery, plot XIII, row A, grave 6. His next of kin was his father - Guttlob Hund, Cawdor, Crows Nest Line, Qld. CWGC - Son of Mary Hund, of Cawdor, Queensland, and the late Mr. G. Hund.

Last edited:

80lover96gxl

FB_IMG_1541847542860.jpg

FB_IMG_1541847564113.jpg

Lest We Forget.

Tink

Today is about the end of WW1. Japan was on our side for that one.

Armistice Day is on 11 November and is also known as Remembrance Day. It marks the day World War One ended, at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month, in 1918. A two-minute silence is held at 11am to remember the people who have died in wars.

Tink

Last edited:

discomatt

I realize that , today day I think of all who have fought and given so much in all wars, whether it be WW1, WW2, Vietnam , Iraq and the list could go on.
For me its not just the ones who gave there lives 100 years ago its the one who still suffer from depression, PTSD, drug and alcohol addiction caused by the hole thing etc....
I was just pointing out how things could so easily be so different

Spooner

Lest we Forget for all that gave their lives in WW1 .
RIP Great Uncle Alfred my grandfathers brother .
My grandfather survived with horrific physical injuries from shrapnel and mentally disturbed to the max from the horror he had seen.
Turned into a heavy God botherer religious type . I can understand why .
At least he lived until he was 68 .

Attachments

• WILLIAMS_ALFRED_EDWARD copy.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 122

Spooner

You would think that after 100 years the world would have learnt a lesson eh?
Obviously not and I doubt they ever will .
WW2 was really bad
WW1 was absolute slaughter on a grand scale for both sides.
No real objective won or lost , just throwing people into a meat grinder for no gain :(

Spooner

Uncle Frank ( My grandfathers brother )passed away on Wednesday , aged 96 , he lived alone at home until 6 months ago.
A man of deeds and few words , seen it all and done it all from WW2 , Malaya & Vietnam
I still have his WW2 flying jacket that he gave me when I was 7 years old.
He certainly lived a full life and never banged on about it , he had style , my childhood hero , when I was a kid he would pull up in his silver E Type Jaguar and get out in his RAAF Officer uniform and looked to me like god , a movie star :)
RIP mate the last of your kind in my family.

black-cat.jpg

Frank Lincoln.jpg

raaf-avro-lincoln-malaya-1jan1958.jpg

Frank11.jpeg

Frank 2014.jpg

Spooner

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks mate ,
In 1950 he caught a lift acting as flight engineer on Catalina A24-105
It lost an engine and eventually crashed near Georgetown in QLD.
He was thrown out on impact and rescued a crew member , but he died later.
All other crew perished , when he got home one of the wives tore him a new arsehole verbally for not saving her husband.
This haunted him forever until the end and he would never attend a Catalina reunion because of this incident .
Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Choook

Uncle Frank ( My grandfathers brother )passed away on Wednesday , aged 96 , he lived alone at home until 6 months ago.
A man of deeds and few words , seen it all and done it all from WW2 , Malaya & Vietnam
I still have his WW2 flying jacket that he gave me when I was 7 years old.
He certainly lived a full life and never banged on about it , he had style , my childhood hero , when I was a kid he would pull up in his silver E Type Jaguar and get out in his RAAF Officer uniform and looked to me like god , a movie star :)
RIP mate the last of your kind in my family.

View attachment 63876

View attachment 63877

View attachment 63879

View attachment 63881

View attachment 63880

rsm.jpeg

mikehzz

I only found out Friday night that the Japanese printed new money with "The Japanese republic of Australia" before the end of the war.
How different things could be today if so many hadn't made the hard decisions and so many gave up so much.
Yeah, we might all be driving Toyotas, Mazdas, Nissans, Subarus, Isuzus and Mitsubishis instead of errrr.......hold on.... :)

typhoeus

The futility of war, caused by the powers that be at the time. The ordinary soldier, airman or navy man followed orders, and often died for it, on all sides. One grandfather fought in both wars, and 2 of his sons in WW2. one died in a russian gulag. My dad fought in Korea, but returned to europe to marry an enemy, so love can survive and overcome even in war. But the end of the war doesn't end hostilities, the hatred can last a long time. Thats why they migrated to Australia. In 1959 Australia was known to the ordinary Pom as a place where kangaroos hopped down the street, you can pick up opals on the side of the road, and where anyone who is prepared to have a go is accepted and can make a place for themselves, which they did.
So Remembrance Day for me is more than just thinking about the fallen in the war(s), Its also about the things it takes to repair the damage between the people who once fought each other.