How do you stick to your diet when camping?

mikehzz

I reckon being out travelling and camping is the ideal time to be pretty Spartan with the food and drink. The joy of exploring etc overshadows my desire to indulge in that sort of stuff. I hate cooking when I'm camping and I especially hate cleaning it all up.

cam04

I reckon being out travelling and camping is the ideal time to be pretty Spartan with the food and drink. The joy of exploring etc overshadows my desire to indulge in that sort of stuff. I hate cooking when I'm camping and I especially hate cleaning it all up.
I’m opposite. I love having the time to cook. Who says that just because you are on a kayak trip in the middle of nowhere that you can’t have scotch fillet and risotto anyway?
The wife won’t eat pork, so camping is where I make up for it.

Attachments

• F932A85E-A46D-41EA-A9F2-7308C8F65453.jpeg
    F932A85E-A46D-41EA-A9F2-7308C8F65453.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • 7D6155C5-CBAC-49C2-AC5D-065F7A0009B7.jpeg
    7D6155C5-CBAC-49C2-AC5D-065F7A0009B7.jpeg
    938.9 KB · Views: 45
  • D785BB5E-DAF7-4976-837D-A435BB7E786D.jpeg
    D785BB5E-DAF7-4976-837D-A435BB7E786D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 99F78B26-B6C4-4CA3-B9FD-EAC09AD600FD.jpeg
    99F78B26-B6C4-4CA3-B9FD-EAC09AD600FD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48

discomatt

I’m opposite. I love having the time to cook. Who says that just because you are on a kayak trip in the middle of nowhere that you can’t have scotch fillet and risotto anyway?
The wife won’t eat pork, so camping is where I make up for it.
100%, nothing like an exceptional feed in the middle of nowhere and spending time that you don’t normally have to enjoy good food with good company

LongRoad2Go

Highly likely if someone has problems with keeping to a healthy diet and enough physical activity on a trip, then their eating habits and exercise regime at home are also probably suspect.

Coming from a Bushwalking background, pack weight versus nutrition was an important thing on long trips - supplementing it in the bush was sometimes a key to really enjoying things e.g. catching fish, eating native raspberries, etc.

Simply avoid processed foods - manufacture dips, etc. Example: a mashed avocado, salt, white pepper, lemon/lime juice, and trade out the crackers for carrot/celery is a lot better in every respect to a tub of 'French Onion Dip'. Wholemeal pocket bread or wraps cut into pieces and baked in a camp oven until crispy are better than a pack of chips/biscuits. Don't forget German Black Bread, lasts for ages on a trip - YUM!

The harder cheeses and some salami are good too.

Just be creative - and in moderation - easy after a while and a lot healthier.

willieblake123

I usually take some snacks just for me and plan the menu ahead. But the biggest challenge is not to watch what people eat around you.

callmejoe

Amazing on how many New members are sooooooo healthy.
I'm truely amazed we don't yet have a whole new "health" section of its own.

Healthy habits.
Includes but doesnt stop at, men's health. women health, health programs, exercise on the go, healthy beer habits andddddd of course snack food.

Hey maybe we are onto something.

boobook

Amazing on how many New members are sooooooo healthy.
I'm truely amazed we don't yet have a whole new "health" section of its own.

Healthy habits.
Includes but doesnt stop at, men's health. women health, health programs, exercise on the go, healthy beer habits andddddd of course snack food.

Hey maybe we are onto something.
LOL yeah, interesting that they are soooo interested in heathy food, with just one post and no interest in 4wding. Then they come back to modify their post with a link to health products a week or two later. .

FranksnBeans

I think it crucial to stay hydrated. My personal go-to when I'm feeling a bit parched is a blend of malt, barley, water and hops put through a gentle fermentation process. Readily available in cans or bottles, and the colder the better.

Hmmm... I'm feeling a bit parched right now actually. Might be in need of a rehydrating beverage myself.

Last edited:

Albynsw

I think it crucial to stay hydrated. My personal go-to when I'm feeling a bit parched is a blend of malt, barley, water and hops put through a gentle fermentation process. Readily available in cans or bottles, and the colder the better.

Hmmm... I'm feeling a bit parched right now actually. Might be in need or a rehydrating beverage myself.

Good solid advice that ;)

boobook

Hey, fellow campers! Sticking to a diet while camping can definitely be a challenge, but here are a few things that have helped me. First, I plan my meals ahead and bring healthy snacks like fruits, nuts, and jerky. It's all about finding the right balance between convenience and nutrition.
...And do you have a handy helpful link you can edit into your post in a few days Ronin?

Triton14

Hmmm... I'm feeling a bit parched right now actually. Might be in need or a rehydrating beverage myself.

Forget the diet!

A pint of Guinness would be a good pairing with some FranksNbeans, right ;) :)

2 meals in one sitting :p

Ziklon

Firstly, consider planning your meals in advance. Think about what you'll eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as any snacks you might need. Having a rough meal plan can help you make healthier choices and avoid impulsively reaching for less nutritious options. When it comes to food choices, opt for items that are both portable and nutritious. Nuts, dried fruits, whole-grain crackers, and jerky are excellent choices for convenient and healthy snacks. Additionally, pre-cut vegetables like carrots and celery are easy to pack and provide a nutritious crunch. You can also find valuable inspiration and ideas for maintaining a healthy diet in this informative article on Chris Pratt's workout and diet at https://fitnessclone.com/chris-pratt-workout-diet/. In summary, camping can be a wonderful way to connect with nature while staying committed to a healthy diet.

Last edited:

Petunia

Firstly, consider planning your meals in advance. Think about what you'll eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as any snacks you might need. Having a rough meal plan can help you make healthier choices and avoid impulsively reaching for less nutritious options.
Breakfast :- cuppa coffee 2 valium cigarette
Lunch :- Goanna
Dinner :- roast wallaby

day planned in advance, job done :D

Colly18

No no no!, don't plan too far in advance. Always allow for fresh road kill. :)
Seriously though, it all depends on what your diet was to start with. We seem to always lose a bit of weight whilst on a longer camping trips, due to being busier during the day (so no time for snacks) + go to bed not too long after sunset and rising with the sunlight + for some reason always cooking smaller evening meals (I don't know why or how?)
But short camping trips with friends are dangerous = more indulgence + more alcohol = more calories.