How do you stick to your diet when camping?

Oferere

I just came back from camping with a group of about 40 people and you should have seen the food. Prime rib, chicken wings, ribs, chips, candy, smores. How do you stick to your eggs whites and chicken breast with food like that, especially after a few drinks?

Any suggestions on creative healthy camping meals would be helpful too!

Kippie

I travel solo and don't take a fridge. So it's basically vegetarian for me until I get back into civilisation.

Neddysmith

Well, im sure if you are drinking as well, then dont worry about what you are eating and enjoy the weekend, jump back on that diet train on your return, your body will adapt quickly one returning to previous diet and you may be 1wk behind your goals if you have them. Also if you have been dieting for a while a cheat weekend or couple few days might be just what the body needs anyway.

Bomber2012

Going away camping is all about relaxation and fun drives , having a few beers around the fire and eating well . I let my guard down when I'm away , so I'm not to concerned about what I eat , life can be regimented enough as it is , you need some down time .

Last edited:

TonyF8

I'm the same as cam04, just spent 3 weeks up the gulf and lower Cape, came back 5kg lighter, but didn't hold back on the food and beers.

shanegtr

We try to eat similar to when we are at home, however I don't want to go extreme cooking when I'm away so our meals are generally a lot simpler

Hoyks

" I am generally more active on holidays too.
Its generally how it works.
I have a fitbit watch and at my last job was l'd regularly hit the 10k steps mark by 2pm, be home by 3 and then kick into feeding the animals and yard work. This current job and living in town I'm lucky to to 5k a day.

But camping /4WDing with wandering around scrounging/splitting fire wood, clearing or checking sketchy bits of track before driving it, getting out of the car to have a look at the view or even just drawing water from the creek just to get dinner on. Its all incidental exercise that you don't get at home as everything is conveniently located and you don't have to move.

You don't really notice you're doing it, but the constant movement keeps your metabolism ticking over at a higher rate and burning off the kJ. Probably also why I always seem to sleep better when camping.

As long as you don't completely cave in, sit by the fire doing nothing and live on cream dip, corn chips and beer all weekend (don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to such actions), then I'd say the kJ in and the kJ used would easily balance out.

Oceanracer

As its just me no partner i dont cook when im away, ive a fridge so its its salads mixed with tuna, beans, canned food or a protein I've pre cooked for the first night, i have no interest in cooking and cleaning , just more stuff to cart around, so its easy for me

dusta77

I just came back from camping with a group of about 40 people and you should have seen the food. Prime rib, chicken wings, ribs, chips, candy, smores. How do you stick to your eggs whites and chicken breast with food like that, especially after a few drinks?

Any suggestions on creative healthy camping meals would be helpful too!
pre make your meals and vac seal them if you are concerned about your diet .