hilux alternater gets wet

rustygq

Hi all
Im asking for a friend as i dont own a toyota hilux,is a 2.8d and he has changed 3 alternaters know due to going through to much water as it is located low in the engine bay has any1 had this problem and also found a solution
Thanks rusty

grit

Hi all
Im asking for a friend as i dont own a toyota hilux,is a 2.8d and he has changed 3 alternaters know due to going through to much water as it is located low in the engine bay has any1 had this problem and also found a solution
Thanks rusty

All I can suggest is plenty of Silicone Spray and wrap it for deeper crossings. A tarp over the grill is great protection for many components. My starter is down low and gets a bit of mud / water in it occasionally - with genuine costing around $630 it's cheaper to strip & clean than to replace. If you wrap the alternator, it should be unwrapped soon after to avoid overheating and arcing from ionisation of the air inside the plastic bag.

LowLux

I agree with grit. Silicone spray a Bra (if possible) and or a bag round it then take off ASAP.

rustygq

hi guys
thank i will pass that on to my mate and let him work out what he wants to do as i did tell him to get a patrol LOL but he got a hilux oh well he is a deadicated toyotata beleiver but his choise as we all hav and in sayin that we all hav our far share of probs with all models but always good to get other in put
cheers all
thanks again rusty

grit

My regular track buddy has a Hilux, he is not afraid of a bit of deep water and we often get the bonnet wet... He has never had any problems (his is the 3L Diesel, so may be different).

danhilux

hey mate, i have a 96 lux (2.8d) and dont mind the mud or water cant say i have had any probs with alternater. cant say ive had water over the bonnet for any length of time but quick crossing and stuff....