Hand Brake Adjustment

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
G'day Guys,

Before I go pulling off rear wheels to make handbrake adjustments, thought I would ask a question or two.

I have a 96 NJ LWB Pajero. Handbrake is no longer (or just) gripping when pulled on to it's limit. I have adjusted the thing from underneath the vehicle below the handbrake where the cable forms a ' Y ' where there is the 10 mm nut on what I assume to be a 6 mm bolt. This has now been adjusted to it's fullest extent.

Is it as simple as making adjustments to the rear brakes or something similar.

Any advice appreciated ( I don't have a workshop manual........suppose I should get one )

Thanks

BUSHNUT

not familliar with Pajee stuff, but generally there are two areas of adjustment, the one you spoke of or the adjustment of the shoes if it is a drumbrake model - this usually a slot where yoy put a screw driver and work a spiked gear to adjust in or out . If these are fully adjusted out then your shoe pads must be down to buggery and need replacement . the other possibility is that the handbrake cable is somewhat stretched but this would be both odd and very unusual .

On disc brakes, again pads are generally the reason , the caliphers generally slide to their own position - but I am no bloody brake expert . Chat to Zordo from the members list

havok011101

This is relavent to my interests.

My handbrake is s**t and I would like to have a go at adjusting it.

I did have them check it out last service, and the general brakes got better, but not the handbrake.

A 4x4 that can't hold still by itself on a hill isn't a good idea, maybe I should just stick to the rocks!

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Thanks for the advice.

The rear brakes on the paj are disc, but the handbrake is drum type inside the disc rotor, if that makes any sense. Neither of the drum handbrake adjusting things inside the rear wheels had been adjusted from probably new, so had plenty to work with. Shame one of them was siezed closed and I had to remove the disc calipers, rotor etc to remove the little *%$#*& thing with the spikes on it that moves the drum pads apart. Isn't it fun putting those springs back on :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anyway all back together and handbrake works a treat. Got full adjustment back on the normal handbrake adjustment under the brake lever now. Tell you what, you don't need to twist the things much to lock the handbrake on. For info, there is a little rectangular rubber grommit on the inside of the rear wheels that allows access to the spline.

David

Last edited:

MGWREF

Rule of thumb when adjusting handbrakes that operate of drum brakes.
LOOSEN OFF THE HANDBRAKE CABLE AT THE ADJUSTER ALL THE WAY
ADJUST THE BRAKE OR HANDBRAKE SHOES AT THE DRUM VIA THE ADJUSTER WHEEL
RE-ADJUST THE CABLE AND YOU SHOULD HAVE A GOOD HANDBRAKE.
mg

croozza

When I had my 80 series, and we all know how bad the hand brake is on them, I adjusted the cable from the hand brake lever with a heap of washers, it worked the best ever, and never had the problem again