G'day, new Hj60 in Ipswich

chocwheaton

Hi all,

Greg here. Just a quick hello to everyone as I've just joined up to the forum.

I recently bought a 1985 JH60 and am loving the old girl. I'm fairly new to 4wd'ing and this is my first truck. I'm keen build up my skills so I can do a some longer trips around Australia.

The 60 is doing pretty well so far and I'm very happy with it, despite a few minor niggling 'issues'. It has an aftermarket turbo and from my perspective (or lack of perspective) it has plenty of power. I was a little worried after hearing how slow the 2H is that it'd be very slow on road, but I find it cruises beautifully on the highway. I hardly ever need to change down from 5th to 4th going up hills, except for very steep hills.

I don't have too many upgrades on the horizon. The mortgage will keep the mods I do as cost effective as possible I think! I'll get better tyres once the highway terrain's wear out in a few months. I'd also look at replacing the shocks before I did any big trips with lots of corrugations as they're probably at least 10 years old. Maybe a rear wheel carrier if I could find one cheap. Other than than she's already got a long ranger aux tank so carries 160L of diesel which will be great touring, and has a UHF, a/c, power steering...and a tape player! Hmmm, maybe a CD player won't be far away.

Trips done so far are Sundown national park to Borrows water hole camp ground, Condamine river road (twice), Wallers road (near Gatton), a few very easy trails at Coffs Habour and plenty of country dirt road driving.

Cheers

Greg

Attachments

• 60.JPG
    60.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 80

BUSHNUT

Welcome to the forum - as with anything in life, what you put in is equivalent to what you will get back from it , hopefully with a bit of interest !

The 60 is the bench mark of the modern passenger 4WD , had a ex conservation and lands one myself, was pretty much bomb proof - a good rig !

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hiya Greg, there are a few of us Ipswich based forum members about. I'm sure there will be no worries at all in having you along on some of our outings. Welcome to the forum.

chocwheaton

Nice to hear there's some Ipswich members on here.

I've also recently joined the Ipswich 4x4 club and am doing their driver training day on Sunday. Should be a good day!

I'm definitely keen to come along on a drive :D

Cheers all for the nice welcome.

Greg