Dual battery setups explained

aidanmair

Dual battery systems can be a bit of a mind bender if its the first time you've had to consider one. I've put together this explainer video with a couple of examples of basic setups to get you powered up out in the bush. Hopefully it helps a few out!

Decca

AMG Batteries......I presume you mean AGM??
Apart from that a good video. Loved the artwork.
And the solar panel mount is exceptionally clever.

Don't forget to give dad back his battery ☺

Cheers

aidanmair

AMG Batteries......I presume you mean AGM??
Apart from that a good video. Loved the artwork.
And the solar panel mount is exceptionally clever.

Don't forget to give dad back his battery ☺

Cheers
Ahahah bugger! Yep definitely meant AGM..
Thanks Decca, appreciate the kind words

Gary Wragg

Dual battery systems can be a bit of a mind bender if its the first time you've had to consider one. I've put together this explainer video with a couple of examples of basic setups to get you powered up out in the bush. Hopefully it helps a few out!

Well done! NOW I have a good idea of what the dual system is and does.

Bru9

The problem is some people do stuff that requires big dollars to get by or else the experince sucks. When you have kids and women with you ya gotta be absolutely prepared. My setup is industrial because nature throws all shes got and tries her hardest to screw me over. The goal zero yeti power systems as impressive as they are would fall short for us coz they miss all the little things that truley can make a trip awful.
But sadly many dual battery systems are simply bloatware that dont do much and are designed to con peoples hard money.

Lol 100ah fuse... that's cute :)

Decca

Tend to agree Bru9.
A lot of stuff can catch you out, mainly through ignorance of its capabilities.

If I want to put a dual battery under the bonnet of my Hi-Lux, I have a DC/DC charger with solar input which I will get.

I was wondering how people then decide on how to get that power out.

Was thinking of an outlet board in the tub so thinking Pure Sinewave for a charging plug for drone batteries, some USB and cigarette lighters.

Any pictures or ideas how to mount this ‘outlet board’ to look nice in a tub which doesn’t have drawers or any furniture in it (such as drawers and the outlets on the wings).

Thanks

McGinnis

If I want to put a dual battery under the bonnet of my Hi-Lux, I have a DC/DC charger with solar input which I will get.

Was thinking of an outlet board in the tub so thinking Pure Sinewave for a charging plug for drone batteries, some USB and cigarette lighters.

Any pictures or ideas how to mount this ‘outlet board’ to look nice in a tub which doesn’t have drawers or any furniture in it (such as drawers and the outlets on the wings).

Thanks

You would be far better off mounting the battery and DCDC in the tub. This has a lot of advantages, including keeping your DCDC and battery much cooler (and therefore extending their lives - dramatically in the case of the battery). It also means you can run much lower gauge cable to high-draw items like inverters.

Also be careful with outlet boards and inverters - technically the use of a PSOA/outlet board with an isolated transformer may violate installation requirements. You won't get pulled up for it or anything, but inverters are extremely dangerous when misused, and the problem is, people don't even know they're misusing then. It's sheer luck (and also the use of generally high quality appliances in Australia) that people aren't dying as a result of dodgy inverter installs/use.

Chatty

I used 12V chargers for my drone batteries and you will likely have an option to do this if your shop around.

We're full time on the road and I hate inverters with a passion - for the reasons given above and because of the amount of power they draw.

cam04

Thanks
If you have a canopy on your tub there are a lot of imported sub boards from XTM/kings etc which will get the job done. Pay attention to their wiring details, esp the one about using the switches as relay triggers only for high draw appliances. I have the kings one in my canopy and it is perfectly well built for what it is. They can be mounted high and out of the way - see pic. I have a very small inverter left over from years gone by and it has been put back into service charging ryobi batteries when needed.
If you have an open tub you’ll be looking for a waterproof enclosure which will be a custom job so far as I know.

Attachments

• D62AF23E-8E53-4BAF-A949-0F1368CA2CF7.jpeg
    D62AF23E-8E53-4BAF-A949-0F1368CA2CF7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 87

smitty_r51

. I have a very small inverter left over from years gone by and it has been put back into service charging ryobi batteries when needed.
FYI Ryobi do a 12v charger to match what you have there, I picked one up when I bought their chainsaw skin so I could charge on the move without needing the inverter.

It is a closed tub but I am thinking I will DIY a box, good call on the inverter/car charger, I dont really need an inverter if I get a 12v charger so probably drop the inverter, then I only need a box with room for the DC charger and battery.

cam04

FYI Ryobi do a 12v charger to match what you have there, I picked one up when I bought their chainsaw skin so I could charge on the move without needing the inverter.
I’ve seen them and a couple of guys at work have them. They are slightly slower than the 240v charger due to having to step up to 18v which isn’t a big deal. I just had numerous 240 chargers sitting around here doing nothing and an inverter doing the same so went that way this time.

Ol' Harley

If you have a canopy on your tub there are a lot of imported sub boards from XTM/kings etc which will get the job done. Pay attention to their wiring details, esp the one about using the switches as relay triggers only for high draw appliances. I have the kings one in my canopy and it is perfectly well built for what it is. They can be mounted high and out of the way - see pic. I have a very small inverter left over from years gone by and it has been put back into service charging ryobi batteries when needed.
If you have an open tub you’ll be looking for a waterproof enclosure which will be a custom job so far as I know.

You know, I've carried Ryobi chargers for years and never thought of mounting one like that in the camper. (Gives self an uppercut). Many thanks for that one, going to see how I might make it work. Carefully though. Cheers!