Cleaned my engine bay

Bomber2012

After 2 weeks in the high country driving every variety of road conditions , extremely thick dust to deep black soil bogholes , under the hood of the Hilux was pretty filthy .
IMG_1196.JPG

So armed with a bucket of soapy water and brush , a can of degreaser and a can of INOX , i got stuck in .
Leaving the motor running I careful gave it a scrub with the brush and soapy water getting into the nooks and crannies , then a quick rinse with the hose gun on shower spray to gently wash the crud out . Next I gave it a good coating of degreaser , let it sit and do its job for a few minutes then another shower with the hose . With a towel I soaked up the spots that water was sitting in and let it keep running til it was almost dry . Finally gave the whole engine bay a good going over with the Inox again getting it into all the nooks and crannies .
IMG_1197.JPG

Let the motor run for a few more minutes while i cleaned up all the gear i had used , a few squirts on the pedal and I was done .
IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

Im really happy with the way it turned out , its made a big difference and considering its the first time Ive cleaned it out Im a bit surprised how quick and easy it was , the whole job wouldn't have taken me an hour .
I might make it a regular job after a dirty trip from now on .:D

dno67

Came up quite clean considering.
I've found silicon spray stops dirt from sticking and keeps things looking
good but doesn't have the water proofing advantage of Inox.

Marck

I am fairly sure that Inox also degrades some rubbers. I stole this off the website Caution: INOX may effect some natural rubber products with continual long term use. It’s why I stoped using it as a rust preventative coating before beach trips. It is a pity because it’s so easy to put on and a quick hose down after and all clean. Not quite sticky enough to catch too much sand. Probably fairly safe but I don’t know what those rubbers are so I stoped using it.

Bomber2012

Thanks for the advice Marck , thats the first time Ive ever cleaned the engine bay so hopefully the Inox won't harm any rubber . Silicone spray sounds like the go for next time .

Reactions: phs

Chatty

Looking at those photos just reminded how little room there is in engine bays these days.
Who can remember the days of engine bays so big and uncluttered that you could actually find stuff? And get your hands in to remove it...

Bomber2012

Looking at those photos just reminded how little room there is in engine bays these days.
Who can remember the days of engine bays so big and uncluttered that you could actually find stuff? And get your hands in to remove it...
Add a 2nd battery and the available space is even more scarce , my 2nd battery is in the back .

phs

Thanks for the advice Marck , thats the first time Ive ever cleaned the engine bay so hopefully the Inox won't harm any rubber . Silicone spray sounds like the go for next time .

Good work on the cleaning,

Yeah I don't think a one time use of inox will cause you any dramas but yeah after a few uses it does as I found out.

For all my plastics rubber and vinyl I use
Autoglym rubber and vinyl care it's the best thing I have found

muc the truck

Silicone rubber restorer over alloy , plastic and hoses make it hard for mud and dirt to stick . makes like easy when it comes to cleaning muck off .

Boots33

^ that's the one I found out drys rubber out.

Lanox MX4 is made by the Inox company but it is not the Inox MX3 spray you are referring to.
from their website:

• LANOX is a heavy duty anti-moisture, anti-corrosion lubricant made with a high grade lubricating oil and lanolin base with specialized chemical compounds.
  • LANOX contains no silicon, kerosene, acids or dieselene.
  • LANOX is harmless to metal points & surfaces, plastics, painted & enamel finishes, fibreglass, formica, rubber or neoprene seals.
  • LANOX doesn’t become sticky, gooey or gum up.
  • LANOX is non-conductive, non-static & non-corrosive.
  • LANOX has neutral properties, low flammability (NON-AEROSOL)
  • Lanox doesn’t dry out or wash off with water

phs

Lanox MX4 is made by the Inox company but it is not the Inox MX3 spray you are referring to.
from their website:

• LANOX is a heavy duty anti-moisture, anti-corrosion lubricant made with a high grade lubricating oil and lanolin base with specialized chemical compounds.
  • LANOX is harmless to metal points & surfaces, plastics, painted & enamel finishes, fibreglass, formica, rubber or neoprene seals.

Yes I read the back of the can hence why I was using it.

I used this for a few rubber seals, I was using it on window rubber, the glass was grabbing after repeated use it got worse and worse you could also see and feel the rubber was drying out over time

1 hit with autoglym rubber and vinyl care and 2 years on no dramas

Also used this for some rubber water drain seals something they would dry out after repeated use

That's just my experience so I don't use it on rubber anymore

Last edited:

Airstrike

WOW! that before and after photo, looks great
I've never cleaned my engine bay before and it's all dusty with some mud stains here and there
Can I ask, why do you need to keep the engine running when cleaning? should I be doing it when I go clean my engine bay? I'm scared I'll fry some electrics if i put water over the engine components

bugsy

After 2 weeks in the high country driving every variety of road conditions , extremely thick dust to deep black soil bogholes , under the hood of the Hilux was pretty filthy .
View attachment 51042
So armed with a bucket of soapy water and brush , a can of degreaser and a can of INOX , i got stuck in .
Leaving the motor running I careful gave it a scrub with the brush and soapy water getting into the nooks and crannies , then a quick rinse with the hose gun on shower spray to gently wash the crud out . Next I gave it a good coating of degreaser , let it sit and do its job for a few minutes then another shower with the hose . With a towel I soaked up the spots that water was sitting in and let it keep running til it was almost dry . Finally gave the whole engine bay a good going over with the Inox again getting it into all the nooks and crannies . View attachment 51043
Let the motor run for a few more minutes while i cleaned up all the gear i had used , a few squirts on the pedal and I was done .
View attachment 51044
View attachment 51045
Im really happy with the way it turned out , its made a big difference and considering its the first time Ive cleaned it out Im a bit surprised how quick and easy it was , the whole job wouldn't have taken me an hour .
View attachment 51042
Leaving the motor running I careful gave it a scrub with the brush and soapy water getting into the nooks and crannies , then a quick rinse with the hose gun on shower spray to gently wash the crud out . Next I gave it a good coating of degreaser , let it sit and do its job for a few minutes then another shower with the hose . With a towel I soaked up the spots that water was sitting in and let it keep running til it was almost dry . Finally gave the whole engine bay a good going over with the Inox again getting it into all the nooks and crannies . View attachment 51043
View attachment 51044
View attachment 51045
from their website:

Nice work thanks for a top trip also champ.
Instead of cleaning mine i sold it instead dust mud shit and all all gone no more pootrol

Bomber2012

WOW! that before and after photo, looks great
I've never cleaned my engine bay before and it's all dusty with some mud stains here and there
Can I ask, why do you need to keep the engine running when cleaning? should I be doing it when I go clean my engine bay? I'm scared I'll fry some electrics if i put water over the engine components
I watched a youtube vid on cleaning your engine bay and the bloke advised keeping the motor running .

Hoyks

Personally, I have used CT18. Spraying it on and hosing it off has always worked for me. The chemical make up stops the clay sticking and that is where most of the muck comes from. Its not shiny though. I generally don't leave it running, but I allow the motor to mostly cool down before going to town with the hose. Water cools things and air volume contracts when it cools, so can suck water past the seals. For the same reason I don't go hard with the pressure washer, or point it at anything important.
I've never had any issues though.

I've had So Easy tyre cleaner recommended as an engine bay cleaner. By all accounts it cleans really well and the silicone content stops dirt and crap sticking next time.

Pilfered from elsewhere:
So Easy.

images

Best vinyl/rubber cleaner and restorer out there these days.

Edit;
This was my engine bay clean up when i sold the Jimny.
JajR6CX.jpg

Quick hose down to loosen the mud, then 2 cans of So Easy....

GoDqaHV.jpg

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53975.msg936937#msg936937