A quick lap, wisdom needed.

olmate

Hi folks,

Me myself and me ranger have a spare 9 weeks departing from Perth as soon as the kids go back to school in July.

Key theme of the trip is the top-end so from Broome, Kimberleys, NT, Arnhem Land, Gulf country and maybe even cape York time permitting. Perquisites to catch up with family in cairns and Brisbane for 2-3 days each. Everything else is fair game, the lesser traveled way the better.

For the most part each night will be a new camp but happy to hang around should there be stuff to see.

Would like some advice with people in the know for the below?

Looking to maybe passing through the snowy areas on the way through more as a scoping trip for next travels. Any recommendations for snowy areas to see or camp at? Would there be much snow in the early weeks of September or just slush? Are many tracks through the high country vic/nsw open during snow season?

Undecided which direction to go, see the top-end late july/aug, catch the snow early sept or go the other way which means passing through the snow late July/Aug and getting to the top end later in the season?

Photo of East Pilbara for your troubles.
MB0.JPG

LongRoad2Go

Welcome Olmate,

July, August, September will see all of the roads in the Snowys closed - it's peak ski season. So, no matter which way you approach - Victorian or NSW sides, the roads are highly likely to be gated and require significant u-turns. From the Victorian side, access to Hotham/Falls Creek will be all but limited to those going skiing - no through roads. Khancoban in NSW may be worthwhile to visit for a tour of the Hydro Scheme (pre-arranged), but the road through to Dead Horse Gap and Thredbo will definitely be closed requiring a bit of backtracking. From the northern NSW side, Selwyn, Kiandra, Cooma, Jindabyne will allow access to the ski fields if you're interested in seeing the area during snowfall.

Otherwise, perhaps better to arrange the trip to coincide with November - the area sees drastic changes in Spring/early Summer - worth seeing just for the Snow Gums and alpine wildflowers in full colour.

Regardless, be fully aware of icy roads - black ice is a literal killer.

Albynsw

After your run across the top to all the usual spots, highly recommend following the gulf down through Hells Gate and around to Karumba, the pub there is a good spot to watch the sunset with a bevvie.
From Karumba head up the west side through Dunbar which brings you out about 50k south of Musgrave and can run up to the cape from there or continue east and down Cairns way

barcher

A drive around Kiandra, Cabramurra you should certainly have some snow. Push on to Jindabyne and the drive past Thredbo, Dead Horse Gap to Khancoban is one of the most scenic drives in winter. There's camping at Tom Groggin and Geehi. I would stay at Geehi, views in winter are very good. This road is kept open all year round with a snow plough working every day. Khancoban to Cabramurra road is a seasonal closure. Island Bend has camping, you would be right amongst the snow there. Vic snow and camping I'll leave to someone else. Send me a message if you stay at Khancoban, we can have a beer and feed at the pub.

olmate

Cheers LongRoad and barcher, little bit more research to do but that advice is golden, def have a beer if in the area. That was the plan Alby have done the cape previously but would be good to see again.

discomatt

Why try and squeeze a whole lap into such a short time frame, see one section well and leave the rest till later , doing a full lap in 9 weeks all your doing is box ticking and you won’t really see anything or have time to meet the people or get a good look at anything
Take time to smell the roses would be my advice

olmate

Majority of the time will be spent across the the top which terminates in cairns. Unfortunately from that point it’s a 5k+ km trip back home, the rest is just a looksee out the window on the way past.

olmate

Plus being a fnq boy and working in the Pilbara for the last 12 years I don’t even have a coat good enough for the snow. 1 or 2 days in the stuff is enough for now. Need to get some thermal thongs.

Albynsw

If you haven’t been to the alpine country it is still worth driving through the areas you can access if you are down that way
Very nice country