200 series heavy steering made lighter

Cruza

Hi readers, I found a quick easy fix to lighten the steering on the 200 series, I found it on another forum some time ago and it works, there is an adjusting screw on the outlet pipe on the power steering pump and I backed it off two full turns, ( ACW ) and this lightened the steering considerably. I was getting sore hands after a few hours behind the wheel and now it’s like power steering should be. I do not know if this is a recommended fix or if it may cause later problems so proceed at your own risk. All I can say so far is it’s so much better to drive.

Last edited:

boobook

Cruza,

The only time I have read of anyone complaining about the steering in a 200 being too heavy is when the Steering pump is failing. I'd check that out.

Cruza

Hi Boobook, nothing wrong with the steering pump, I have a bit of arthritis in the hands and gripping the 200s steer wheel becomes tiresome after an hour or so.

Toyasaurus

I found the same thing driving a mate`s 200, the steering was very heavy, compared to my 100.
I`ll have to suggest that to him.

Cruza

I went from a 100 series to a new 200 series and was rather disappointed with the steering heaviness, after making that adjustment it now feels very much like my old 100 series.

discomatt

Now that it’s lighter does it have the same “feel” and can you feel what the front tires are doing under heavy load from hard braking and emergency steering input or is it even more vague with little feedback ?

Cruza

There is still plenty of feedback and feel, it’s just that little bit lighter, about the same as my 100 series but still heavier than my 2012 Nissan Navara, it’s definitely not like the early Ford power steer which had no feel at all. It takes less than 20 seconds to make the adjustment once you have located the adjusting screw, if you don’t like it just put it back to where it was but as I said in my first post,

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Have a look on ih8mud.com forum, “ Any Way to Boost Power Steering“ and they have pictures and even a description.

It would be great if someone who actually WORKS and KNOWS these power steering had an input, not just opinions from people who know nothing and think they know everything.

HarveyGarcia

There is still plenty of feedback and feel, it’s just that little bit lighter, about the same as my 100 series but still heavier than my 2012 Nissan Navara, it’s definitely not like the early Ford power steer which had no feel at all. It takes less than 20 seconds to make the adjustment once you have located the adjusting screw, if you don’t like it just put it back to where it was but as I said in my first post,

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Have a look on ih8mud.com forum, “ Any Way to Boost Power Steering“ and they have pictures and even a description.

It would be great if someone who actually WORKS and KNOWS these power steering had an input, not just opinions from people who know nothing and think they know everything.
Anyone tried it?

boobook

I can read that you joined at exactly the same time Cruza was last online—6:10 in the morning. Just a coincidence, I guess.

Welcome to the forum Bushbar.

Cruza

Haha close, different person, same campsite, same iPad.
And yes I tried it and so has another person on another forum, and it works.