Georges Junction - Closed

Toddyh

Swaggie

Just read about it 10 minutes ago myself. It's not going to get any better, we need a system that severely punishes bad behaviours.I cannot believe it's all too hard to implement yearly passes , use the money to employ more ranger with tougher powers like fisheries have.Until then it well be more closures one after the other..

Toddyh

Yearly passes would have done nothing to save this one. It's on leasehold land so run by the farmers. It's entirely up to them what access the public have.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yep. Here I go again. Annual permits for $30.00 or whatever to drive, ride, camp, whatever, in the bush which pays for "Bush Patrol Officers".
If not carrying a permit, or bad behaviour, or rubbish, or damage, etc. then this will result in heavy fines, confiscation of vehicles, bikes, equipment, whatever.
I have been camping bush for over sixty years now and have watched it become busier and worse as each year goes by.
If the drongos ( ferals to the young uns) and there are heaps of them, don't get it, then eventually they will " Bloody Get It".
I will keep saying this until the cows come home.

Toddyh

Again annual permit/passes whatever you want to call them would not have helped here. The land is not managed by parks or state forests. Local council were maintaining it as far as I know but the farmers controlled access.
@Paddler Ed should be able to provide more specific details on the actual campground.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don't mean Passes to parks or forests. I mean a permit to drive in the bush. May not work here but it will work in lots of places and weed out the idiots who maybe would not then have been around to stuff this place up.
Over a period of time the ferals would be weeded out all over Australia and then maybe no more closures. Got to start somewhere a.s.a.p.:D

Paddler Ed

Again annual permit/passes whatever you want to call them would not have helped here. The land is not managed by parks or state forests. Local council were maintaining it as far as I know but the farmers controlled access.
@Paddler Ed should be able to provide more specific details on the actual campground.

Just come back from the Armidale - Kempsey Road (went down Georges Creek Trail, which was an OK run down)

Comments are as follows:
-I don't think it's closed; no signs saying it was closed and people were camping there still (and have been for a while).
-There were no tyre marks in the top area, just one yellowed patch of grass from a tent.
-Guy who runs the new campsite down the way (Cracknback, find it on Facebook) was saying that:
-- Armidale Council manage the rubbish collection
-- LLS NW manage the TSR aspect
And that the cows are owned by a number of people.

What I actually think has happened is that 4WD Action are getting half truths out there, without checking 100%. I will try to find out more over the next few days from the Visitor Information centre, Council and LLS and report back.

Paddler Ed

I went to talk to the nice people at the Visitor Information centre here in Armidale; I have a good relationship with them as I work for a caravan park in town as well, so deal with them most shifts.

They did some ringing around, as one of the staff there had heard the same story. The results are:
-Armidale Dumaresq council say that they have not heard anything about it being closed other than the article from 4WD Action (and a lot of people ringing up to ask questions about it since Friday)
-Rang Riverview Lodges who are down there to confirm, and likewise they had only heard about it from 4WD Action's post... and they said they had also seen people camping at George's Junction

So, to conclude, we do not think (99% certain) that it is closed, however the VIC are trying to get from 4WD Action where they got the information from (the VIC manager was firing off emails as I left!) as at the moment it seems to be unfounded truths.

smitty_r51

Perhaps 4wd action are going to run an article down there and didn't want the crowds showing up :p

Amazes me how much copy and paste news there is these days with no independent checking of facts!

Paddler Ed

I've just had an email back from the guys at the VIC, and there's going to be an update from 4WD Action on Thursday...

I suspect there is some truth in what 4WD Action said, but the way they said it did not convey it properly, and ultimately the camping is still open on the main area on the road side of the Macleay River.

Paddler Ed

OK, response from 4WD Action is up now.

What it doesn't say is that the original article bore no relation to the actual situation there, and that the way they had written the piece was quite wrong; GJ was never closed, rather one area that was being used was closed off due to the idiots - but their original story never explained that, rather it said that GJ was closed... that's quite a bit of a difference... oh well, it's 4WD Action, what else do we expect? They'll never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

Swaggie

OK, response from 4WD Action is up now.

What it doesn't say is that the original article bore no relation to the actual situation there, and that the way they had written the piece was quite wrong; GJ was never closed, rather one area that was being used was closed off due to the idiots - but their original story never explained that, rather it said that GJ was closed... that's quite a bit of a difference... oh well, it's 4WD Action, what else do we expect? They'll never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

With all there readers aware of the area now, give it time..