Which dashcam should I buy

vk1dx

We want a dashcam for the car mainly for the bush and of course with good resolution (HD) and GPS processing (help with location). The problem I have is that I want one to link with the home PC via the wireless LAN. We don't have any smart phones, tablets etc etc and thus transferring files to the desktop via the SD card is both tedious and archaic.

I have done a search for "dashcam" and only found two threads that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Phil

Chatty

Jaycar have just released a couple of good looking models - one has a front and rear camera, which I though might give some exciting views looking where you've just been...

vk1dx

Thanks Chatty. Just need one channel mate - straight ahead. I already have a reverse camera with the VMS box. I could easily over ride the reverse gear switching but then I still can't record it.

Off to Jaycar.

Tnx

Phil

mac_man_luke

Ah ok, that will be fair bit dearer. Figure having 2 sd cards and just swap if you want to view something.

GPS im not a fan of in dash cams because it basically can only be used to incriminate yourself (e.g. few km over speed limit)

GazaShaggy

I have the Blackvue DR500GW works great had a few problems where it would lock up but think it was the SD card as I put a new one in and hasn't happened since (touch wood) I would like to upgrade to the new one that has both a front camera and rear camera.
Has both GPS and WIFI as well as 1080p.
I can upload a clip if you want to see.

EDIT: Dont know how or why it attached a picture of a tick and cant work out how to remove it.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-23_17-35-53.png
    upload_2015-11-23_17-35-53.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 98

vk1dx

I have the Blackvue DR500GW works great had a few problems where it would lock up but think it was the SD card as I put a new one in and hasn't happened since (touch wood) I would like to upgrade to the new one that has both a front camera and rear camera.
Has both GPS and WIFI as well as 1080p.
I can upload a clip if you want to see.

EDIT: Dont know how or why it attached a picture of a tick and cant work out how to remove it.

About the tick. I wrote a reply a while back and then deleted all the text and exited with what I thought was an empty post. Then I went and saw a doctor. I clicked on "Reply" in your post and all that deleted text reappeared mixed in with you woeds. Grrrrr

Back to the topic: Have you tried using the WiFi to transfer files to the PC?

Phil

vk1dx

That was better. I would like to see the file if you don't mind.

Is it on Youtube or something with a URL that you can give me.

Phil

GazaShaggy

Haven't tried to pc as its to far away from the car but worked fine to phone.
If you would really like I can bring it inside and power it with a 240-12v adapter to see how easy it is.
I have read somewhere that someone made a code for his pc that every time he turned it on it would automatically copy all files from dashcam and put in a folder on his computer
I put it as a link to download that way you get a real idea of quality as youtube compresses it.
Its was on a forum trip that this was taken.

The quality would be better on the latest model as mine is about 3 models old now.

Please not the song in the background is NOT kid friendly a bit of live Blink 182
http://1drv.ms/1T9sPnT

vk1dx

I could do it easily with a batch file. Kind of like an old version of a script. That's easy. But I would rather use Windows Explorer with both ends shared on our home secure workspace. I prefer to be in control. Programmers of today do not think like those of yesterday and want to use standard folders etc. That's no good here on our spread network filing system.

I have to go to the hospital and will try the video when I get home.

Catchya and thanks for the "chat".

Phil

phil-wavingthanks-AtOHagens_zps56781745.jpg