the otooles drop bears..... AND THERE EXISTENCE.

smitty

Late last year a camping trip to otooles was well under way. When sitting around the fire cooking dinner with my 7 yr old daughter. Someone decided to bring up the story of the drop bears and how we have heard them in the area.... my daughter just shrugged it off and kept going on with annoying mans. Whilst eating tea around the fire it was brought up again. But this time she was also told about the hoop snakes. That eat the drop bears as they are dropping from the trees.... she still didnt seem to care about them. It wasnt till later in the night when she needed the loo that we heard about it again.... this time she came over and said I need the loo but im scared. . About what I replied... the drop bears she said. We asked if she was scared of the hoop snakes.... but no just the drop bears..... mans ended up taking her to the loo.... and all was good.... SORRY TO CUT THE DETAILS SHORT BUT I CANT REMEMBER ALL OF WHAT WAS SAID.....

BUT!!!! I decided to tell the guys at work about this..... and how funny it was.....and the much to my surprise.... THE 18 YR OLD WORK EXPERIENCE KID PIPED UP...... IVE SEEN ONE HE SAID... WTF!!!!! have you really? I asked. Trying not to laugh. Yes he said. What where when. We asked.... bit ova a year ago. Down at a caravan park on the coast in south gippsland....
Wow cant believe my ears... someone has actually seen one....
we continue to ask him questions about it..... what noise do they make? What do they look like? Did you see a hoop snake to??? Gotta watch out for them we said.... he wouldnt make the noise.... he said it was dark but that they are about the size of a possum and no he didnt see or know about the hoop snake...
we asked if he was sure it wasnt just a possum....
and he cracked it. No it was a drop bear I saw. I know what I see.

well ok. I couldnt believe it. He really did see one.... but he didnt know about the hoop snake or the one eyed eagle....

BUT ITS CONFIRMED. ... they do exist. ... I MIGHT START LOOKING UP WHEN AROUND TREES..... CAUSE SHIT JUST GOT SERIOUS. ....

80lover96gxl

Not sure if we have them here in SA but I'll be on the lookout now for sure.
Now that shits gettin serious are there any measures one should undertake if under threat of possible attack and dont have a hoop snake handy ?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
When I play golf at my local club, that is Yarrambat Course, They have a sign and an arrow pointing to the ground as you leave the club and enter the car park.
The sign says "Drop Buckets Here"
I just wonder if the "Drop Buckets" are used to feed the "Drop Bears" which are possibly in this area.??? Being a bit of a skeptic I don't tend to believe everything I hear, however this has me thinking. Can anyone describe what a Drop Bear looks like.??

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
^^^^^^

Only known pic of a drop bear, the photographer is unknown as he was apparently eaten as the only thing found was the camera with this pic.

Dropbear.jpg

Only known protection from them is a metal cone hat , they slide off as they drop from the trees. But if they get your ankles on the way down you are in serious serious shyte ;)

Last edited:

profoto

^^^^^^

Only known pic of a drop bear, the photographer is unknown as he was apparently eaten as the only thing found was the camera with this pic.

218701_Dropbear.jpg

Only known protection from them is a metal cone hat , they slide off as they drop from the trees. But if they get your ankles on the way down you are in serious serious shyte ;)

Thats the Northern Drop Bear, we have the Southern Drop Bears, tad smaller but just as ferocious.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I did some research, found this and now I am becoming more convinced

Distribution

Drop Bears can be found in the densely forested regions of the Great Dividing Range in South-eastern Australia. However there are also some reports of them from South-east South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges and Kangaroo Island.

Danger to humans and first aid

Bush walkers have been known to be 'dropped on' by drop bears, resulting in injury including mainly lacerations and occasionally bites. Most attacks are considered accidental and there are no reports of incidents being fatal.

There are some suggested folk remedies that are said to act as a repellent to Drop Bears, these include having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears. There is no evidence to suggest that any such repellents work.

twisty

Here in the Capital they got rid of most of the drop bears before they started on the 'roos and the gocha birds got all the hoop snakes. What a country!

Been on a few trips with friends only new here and we always try the stories out. Sometimes we get one, hook, line and sinker, but normally someone can't keep a straight face and the jig is up.

Good times :cool:

twisty

What is a gocha bird...???? Can you please describe

fyi. The Drop Bear (Thylarctos plummetus) is less likely to attack people with Australian accents. Why? Vegemite! By-products of the interaction between chemicals found in Vegemite and those found in human sweat repel drop bears (Australian Geographic 4/13). Hence the suggestion of a dab behind the ears for tourists.

The Gotcha Bird (Australian native) ranks in rareness with the Drop Bear and Hoop Snake (a USA import). I've never seen one but I've heard about some people who might have. They sort of look like a magpie, or eagle, and are medium size but with big tallons and a really small head. They are, obviously, very hard to see.

Apparently, what my grandfather told me when I was 6 or 7, if a hoop snake was after you the best thing to do was run around a tree screaming and waving my arms around like an idiot. See, a Hoop Snake rolls after you but can't turn very well and is trying to spear you with its tail. It would be okay to stop and hide behind the tree but then you might be under a drop bear. The screaming attracts the Gotcha Bird which catches the snake, "gotcha". The Drop Bear can smell you, yuk, and goes after the bird.

Reciting bush poerty should also help repel those nasty bears ...

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Been on a few trips with friends only new here and we always try the stories out. Sometimes we get one, hook, line and sinker, but normally someone can't keep a straight face and the jig is up.

Good times :cool:

Worked in the security industry for years and always had a ready supply of international candidates, the ones that were the most gullible were believe it or not - Kiwis :D

Half way through a shift,usually a night shift, and start with the story.............too easy :rolleyes::D

profoto

Took a distant relative who was backpacking from the UK camping, told him to watch out for Yowies and we knew they were around because you could hear them growling (Bull Koala's).
We saw a black snake cruising through and he shit himself because he was afraid it would get into his tent, we said just put salt around the tent and he would be OK as snakes cannot stand salt on their bellies, he dismissed it with a laugh and we all turned in many hours later, got up in the morning and there was a white ring around his tent.

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Here is the government warning. If the government say they are real, they must be. :rolleyes:

imagejpg1_zps4aafe792.jpg

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
^^^^^^

289505_Dropbear.jpg

Hey Chris,

Will my tin foil hat do or do I need to get the cone one as well?

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
^^^^

Needs to be a metal one, they can't dig their claws in........plain tin foil you are doomed :eek:

Be afraid, be very very afraid !!! :D

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
That's clinched it. If it's got a fancy scientific name, it must be real.

And if some one was given a grant to classify and name it in the first place it is most definitely real.

They could only have got the grant from the Dept of Dangerous Fauna Management , therefore, ipso facto, because the Government having financed it then it most certainly is real.

If it wasn't ICAC or IBAC or every other AC would be all over it.

I rest my case Your Worship ;)

twisty

That's clinched it. If it's got a fancy scientific name, it must be real.

End of discussion ... :rolleyes: The posted images are obviously fakes! Real Drop Bears are much bigger, and orange, not mangey. Read the link ...

Yanks are good to warn as well :D

Last edited:

80lover96gxl

I thought yowies were orange, maybe drop bears and yowies have been breeding ? This could pose an even bigger problem for all campers and tourist alike.