Scary video of creek crossing gone wrong at Sunny Corner, NSW.

Patriot

Administrator
Does anyone have any more details on this one? Found it on 4WD 4x4 Rescue

From my point of view, I think they missed just how fast and how much force the river was generating in the first place, although I am not sure of the circumstances.
It may have helped to have recovery gear ready before going in, maybe even hooking up?
Maybe send a vehicle across first with a front winch?
Vehicles can be replaced, people not so much, really glad that no one was hurt or drowned.
Stay safe out there people!

smitty_r51

Was watching this one on Tuesday,

We couldn't work out how he got into such strife... Given neither of them could stand why attempt to cross.

We also wondered how they solved it at the end when they had a snatch strap at full tension around a tree between the cruiser and the patrol.

I am betting it will be on carsales now as lovingly valeted inside and out

Wang

There are 3x parts of that video. All are on the rescue pages.

just my opinion, but they seemed very under prepared and took a long time trying to find the recovery points and get something hooked up to it.

They seem to have more capable trucks that could of had a go 1st and been ready for a recovery if needed.

But just goes to show you how easy and quickly thing can go wrong and some people think because they have a 4x4 it can do anything

Patriot

Administrator
This is all 3 edited together. I think it would look like a high risk crossing and whenever you are doing something like that you need to be thinking of how you are going to get out before you get in.
Hindsight is always 20/20, just hope everyone was OK.

abw

I haven't seen the Turon flow like that! But going by the size of some of the logs/trees which I've been washed downriver it doesn't surprise me. I'm glad everyone was okay. I would have just tied it to the nearest tree once it started floating downstream. rather than risking peoples necks trying to recover it. It's already written off, so what's the point.

Blue_haired_man

All I can say is wow, it's amazing no one was killed or seriously injured. At a simply glance at the turbulence and speed of the water, it was not a smart move even thinking about atempting to cross. Standing BEHIND a vehicle looking for recovery points that was moments away from floating off is something I wouldn't be chancing either. Very, very close to recovering bodies as well as the car.
Cheers Leo

Collie14

I would personally be look for another way around. That is flowing with a bit of force. I would even call it the day to be safe rather then sorry. Main thing is everyone got out safely....eventually

Swaggie

Why this vehicle wasn't recovered in a forward direction (up the track) is way beyond me, there's trees in the foreground.. They could have tied the vehicle off first (which I've tried to advocate here over the years, especially to newbies ) stopped panicking and thought about it a bit more, taken Winch ropes off the Winches if they were short and across the river with snatch blocks etc etc .. There was only one outcome pulling it back into a flooded river, and also down a skinny river with high banks..:confused:

I've been there and done that but on a bigger river with plenty of room and flat banks..

ALUX

All good. Just a bit of wd40 and that petrol will fire up no worries.

Seriously though, very easy to DIE in a scenario like that. I hope they got it out ok in the end. If that section was flowing like that it must have been a torrent further down near the diggings

Wang

comment below from someone in the convoy.

Okay let's put a bit of context to this. Fj was lead car this crossing is at the bottom of a long decent in which we had a 10 car convoy. Patrol was 3rd in convoy and already had strap at back of car in prep for things like this from others in convoy. Fj driver is a 25 year experienced 4x4 driver who had a lapse in judgement and went before everyone could consult. As you can see by photo water was a lot lower at first crossing and patrol was a good 200m away. First instinct to save time was to snatch as it was all there, not planning to snatch cars Infront. From there a shackle to the tree was made and wind out but by the time it was set up this was the position second photo. Guys were willing but decided not worth getting sucked under and dying so from there it was just a let's save the owner mission. Yes there was no anchor on patrol to hold vehicle but tree was 1 m away which was going to be used as anchor if car wouldn't hold. Car has been snatched to tree and left there. Owners went back today and saw a group of people trying to cross same spot. Even after people saw the car and heard the story they thought they could go until common sense prevailed. Main thing is people safe, fun was had lessons learnt and memories created. Stay safe

Spooner

Pleasantly surprised by the comments on here! A lot of other forums all you would get is negative comments slamming the guy for being so stupid as if they have never made a bad call before.
Thats because we are realists mate , conditions change quick , personally I would not attempt anything even half as bad as that video.
But others do and get through .