is this true about prado engines

funhouse53

Trying to decide between a turbo diesel cruiser or TD prado around the 2002 vintage to be able to get up the bush on weekends but sadly because of family time restraint won't be traveling across the country any great distance ,
have always loved LC's but on the practical side was heading towards a prado because of better fuel mileage easier to drive around town ,would'nt be towing a large van and all the other practical crap you have to consider, when i came across this on a site talking about the difference in prado engines:

While the 1KD-FTV looks great on paper as Mick has pointed out, in real world terms it maybe the engine that destroys some of Toyota's reputation that took so long to build. Like so many other countries, Australia seems to find it hard to produce to the spec, quality fuel that the new generation of common rails diesel engines require for the consumer to get payback out of their investment. Where there has been gains in fuel consumption over the 1KZ-TE you will loose in expensive repair bills for a lot of people. Real world problems (reliability issues) for Toyota Australia and the consumer so far : To state the obvious, Injectors have been a big problem especially with the first generation solenoid type. Trade price = $1100.00 each, yes each. Injectors on a 1KZ-TE a full set of 4 = $350.00 to $480.00, $87.50 each. Supply pumps are turning up with damage as low as 39,000 kms, common, my opinion, not Toyota Australia's opinion, 50,000 to 80,000 kms. The Denso HP3 pump is about $3,500.00 fitted depending who does the job, this thing is running at 20,000 psi and supplies the rail. Turbo : Well, I had a turbo on my D4D (150) go at less than 20,000 kms. In all fairness to Toyota, this probably happened because the vehicle was taken across the Plenty Highway and the Centre Way track at the beginning of summer. How do you figure you might say, well it's a common problem in the Hiace van fitted with the 1KD-FTV, enclosed engine bay, heat builds up especially around the turbo, and this leads to a failure with the solenoid (electronics) that controls the vane turbine which inturn leads to no power. Imagine that happening in the middle of nowhere mmm! Maybe Toyota have designed the 150 as a urban people mover 4wd or something (k)? These babies will set you back about $5,000.00 fitted, well not much change given from that anyway. In my opinion this is a design fault. As in the past on other Toyota engines (3L, 5L), the sleeves (bearings) on No.1 have been seizing on the crankshaft, to be fair, I only know of 2 cases on the D4Ds, which renders the block a right-off. All these repairs have been done under warranty (100,000 kms) to Toyota Australia's credit, beyond this who knows what will happen for the D4D, time will tell. With the 1KZ-TE, once you fit a AMC head or similar, they had a few head problems, you won't look back and a DP chip. Indirect injection fuel systems are much more suited to our fuels (poor quality), just change your fuel filter every 10,000 kms. I have owned both engines, go the 1KZ-TE, you will be so far in front of 1KD-FTV owners in my opinion.

HAVE many others had similar problems :
with the age of the vehicles that I'm looking at (around 200,000 ks ) this could be a concern
IF i was to go with the prado would it be safer to stick with the older KZJ motor

FODFA

So you are looking at 2002 model, which has the 1kz motor, so I am not sure why you are talking about the 1KD motor that didn't come out until 2006. Personally I have owned both.

OH not sure who Mick is that has made a good case for the motor your not looking at!

If you search the net for problems related to the 1KD you will find a lot of info from one bloke who does the rounds of the forums using the same handle (which I wont mention) His MO is to join a forum, put up a few innocuous posts before moving onto the subject of the IKD engine, not long after he mentions he is a mechanic and then starts telling all these horror stories about massive failures and tells everyone how expensive the repairs are, then he goes on to make suggestions about how everyone should spend a heap of extra money on maintenance and fitting a heap of gear to alleviate the inevitable catastrophic failure that is coming. He's a really good bloke though and offers lots of advice, asks anyone who want info to PM him and he will sort them out. Somewhere along the line he also starts to offer his services as a Mechanic, and given that Toyota are ripping everyone off he can do the work at a much more reasonable price, after all he's already told everyone how expensive this work should be!

Actually I have my suspicions that this guy after having been banned from Pradopoint is looking to spread his poison elsewhere and I suspect may have even joined this forum under a different user name!

Anyway if you took away all the horror stories from this one bloke I reckon the numbers of major failures are about what you might expect from an engine that has sold more than 1/2 a million units in Australia alone.

For the record here is my take. Yes there are issues with the 1KD injectors, but ever since diesels have been put into vehicles injectors have been a consumable part. With the modern Common Rail Diesels (CRD's) nothing has changed, they will still wear out and need changing. Its always been common knowledge to me that around 100,000k is the point that injectors should be changed.

So the 1KZ injectors are circa $400 a set, if you search for Baileys Diesel Group you will find they do a blueprinted injector for the 1KD for $1100 a set, yep certainly a bit more expensive. Then of course you need to fit them and its a harder job on the 1KD, however as part of the standard service schedule every 40,000k the injectors "should" get removed in order to get the valve clearance checked. So if you fit new injectors at the 80 or 120 thou service there should be no extra cost other than the injectors them selves.

If like me you bought the car new, and do the average 20 thou a year, change the injectors at a conservative 80k interval and keep the car for 10 years doing a total of 200 thou, and you remember that the 1kz injectors should be changed every 100k, then you are about $1400 in the red, assuming no labour cost on changing the 1kz injectors.

My experience is that I get around 2l/100k better fuel consumption out of the 1KD compared to the 1KZ, so that's 4000 litres less fuel over the time I own it, @ $1.50 a litre that's $6000 less in fuel. Not to mention that extended fuel range means on outback travel you can go further (bypassing expensive fuel) and saving even more.

Sorry about the very long winded post, hope those interested can follow it all :)

Cheers Andrew

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well said Andrew!! No matter what motor you search for someone somewhere has had a problem with it and sooked about it all over the Internet.

I wouldn't be to concerned about injectors. I sort of grown to like the rattle on my 1vd hahah.

Look for a well maintained and well serviced Toyota and which ever way you go it'll be a great car.

No man ever cut himself bearding!

croozza

I've done a bit of research into the Injector issue, and have found that the problem is caused by the injectors coming slightly loose as the o rings harden, this allows air to be sucked in under compression, thus making carbon deposit onto the injector nozzle causing premature wear. So every 20 thousand k's, you need to change the o rings on the injectors, this will prevent the injectors from failing. Hope this helps.

Dominator

I done a lot of research into the whole 1kd vs 1kz debate when I was looking into getting a 120 prado. The issues with both motors are well documented. From my research, the 1kd's had issues with the early solenoid type injectors however the later injectors are more reliable. Injector seals leaking causing carbon build up and eventualy blocking the oil pickup causing the motor to seize was another problem. This was caused by poorly selected materials in the injector seals however again this has been rectified by toyota. Valve clearances need to be checked every 40,000kms and the injectors need to be removed to do this. Toyota states thst the injector seals must be replaced when the injectors are removed so this fixes the above issue. Also the oil pickup should be checked for cleanliness when the sump is drained. The 1kz have well known issues with the heads and while it is easy to say 'just replace it with a AMC head' this is not a cheap exercise. Factor in the higher fuel consumption and lower power and the 1kd is looking pretty damn good.

But the Prado did not get the 1kd untill late 2006, so if your looking at a 2002 model, all the above points are moot!

Last edited:

GazaShaggy

Can't remember exact year but Toyota replaced the seal with better ones I believe in 2010 so if its older than say facelift 2011 (just to be sure) then ask the previous owner if they have been done.
I have a 2012 Hilux D4D and me personally will get the seats and seal replaced every 40,000 as that is what is recommended on Newhilux.net it wont be coved with capped servicing but I plan to keep it for a very long time so for me its worth the extra cost.

BDG

Hey Guys, Matt here from Baileys Diesel Group

(mods, if there is an issue with a vendor being on here, please let me know > i searched rules and couldn't find anything although i'm happy top accept it may have been a 'male' look.)

With regards to the seals. the main issue was that the copper washer was too thick and that usually the heat generated was too much for the malleable + thick washer causing it to leak. Normally people start experiencing issues after a big day out on the beach or toeing a big trailer...
The new generation has a titanium / alloy coating over the copper for its heat shielding properties. they are a significant improvement, however we still recommend replacement at 40thou / even with our own seals which have a unique coating on them...

Injectors wise, the main failure mode is actually the seizure of the internal spindle. regardless of the rumors / marketing material, the current generation of diamond tipped injectors will not help as this 'failed' component is unchanged between the two injectors.

we're currently doing up a series of 'tech' articles that explain all of this. If this is something you're interested in, i would be happy to post the links here.

Regards
Matt

Diesel1

I've done a bit of research into the Injector issue, and have found that the problem is caused by the injectors coming slightly loose as the o rings harden, this allows air to be sucked in under compression, thus making carbon deposit onto the injector nozzle causing premature wear. So every 20 thousand k's, you need to change the o rings on the injectors, this will prevent the injectors from failing. Hope this helps.

Not sure on where you researched this info but from my own experience with these engines it is not true.
The seat washer on the injector gets fatigue which causes the injectors to become loose on the seat in the head. This leads to loss of compression and heat which causes excess carbon build up on the nozzle.
The Oring on the injector is a oil seal. It has nothing to do with sealing engine compression.

Stupid Flanders

IF i was to go with the prado would it be safer to stick with the older KZJ motor

A 1kz with a good exhaust, dump pipe, diesel chip and a EGT gauge is a good option.

Performance close to the D4D and reliable. Only real issue is if yours has the poorly cast chinese head and it gets hot you will need a new one.

:):)

mav

valve clearances

hi all ,
with the prado 1kd d4d valve clearance the whole bucket has to be replaced? not just a shim? how expensive are these buckets to buy?
cheers mav

BDG

whilst they are VERY slow to wear, they can need replacement. (normally 120+ k's)

From memory, they're 45+ each or somewhere there abouts. Generally, we'd only change upto 6-8 at a time, but more likely is just a couple...

Update:

Prado injectors retail from Toyota down to about $500 each.
BDG are the genuine solution & a bit cheaper too, bit over $300 each.
The buckets for the valve adjustment are around $30 each from Toyo.

LowLux

G'day BDG.

No issues with vendors being on site to discuss issues or assist with topics like this so thank you for doing so.

The only thing we ask is that you don't begin to sell your products on this site without first obtaining a Vendors Pack of which Admin could provide an up to date version.

Again, thanks for assisting with information as its always good to hear from experts in the various fields.

Cheers

Gracie64

Link to "tech' articles

Hey Guys, Matt here from Baileys Diesel Group

(mods, if there is an issue with a vendor being on here, please let me know > i searched rules and couldn't find anything although i'm happy top accept it may have been a 'male' look.)

With regards to the seals. the main issue was that the copper washer was too thick and that usually the heat generated was too much for the malleable + thick washer causing it to leak. Normally people start experiencing issues after a big day out on the beach or toeing a big trailer...
The new generation has a titanium / alloy coating over the copper for its heat shielding properties. they are a significant improvement, however we still recommend replacement at 40thou / even with our own seals which have a unique coating on them...

Injectors wise, the main failure mode is actually the seizure of the internal spindle. regardless of the rumors / marketing material, the current generation of diamond tipped injectors will not help as this 'failed' component is unchanged between the two injectors.

we're currently doing up a series of 'tech' articles that explain all of this. If this is something you're interested in, i would be happy to post the links here.

Regards
Matt

HI Matt

I was really interested in your post and was wondering if you could answer a few question for me?

1. What happens to your engine if you don't get the seats & seals replaced.

2. What is the life expectancy of a seat (copper)?

3. Why have the injectors and seats been redesigned, I read this in another forum?

You can send me a PMS if you want to.

tks

vornez

I've had it with this car

I've had it with this car, the engines noisy, I can't get the injectors to code, I don't know when this car will die on me, I hope its not soon.

Welcome to the Hilux 1kd Turbo Diesel The "lemon car" with some zesty self destruction features.

Most defective car ever. Though absolutely amazing that the 1kd-ftv engine this misfitted rusty old pile of bolts, contains within it, was apparantly stated as being an "award winning" engine. It features many self destruction features including faulty injectors, the ones that knock out big end bearings and annilate pistons, the ingenious oil circulation jammer that completely deprives the engine of oil, the lovely notorious injector seals that leak exhaust gases, you'd think they used chewing gum to seal them in.
Under the hood of the elegantly placed engine cover, you can head east towards the zesty oil pits - the La brea tar pits, North America within the exhaust gas recirculator, and where an ECU reflash update is available 24/7 and at a reasonable price, exhaust gases recirculate and recirculate and reculate until that part of the engine provides enough asphault for the a freeway extension.

This vehicle has some remarkable features - if the coolant is accidentally lost, the car lets you drive it until the rocker cover melts into the camshaft, the whole time the temperature guage shows a normal reading. Put some high sulfur fuel in it, the pistons explode, a little water in the fuel, pistons explode. Touch some wiring looms the wrong way, airbag explodes. Want to reflash the ecu so the engine can tolerate new injectors without the pistons exploding? You can take it into Toyota where for a lump sum of $500 they will reflash your ecu, highlighting an ingeneous method of making money from ones own incompletence. Pay another $5000 and we'll upgrade your chewing gum injector seals to copper ones. You may be better off heading to North America, where Toyota customers enjoy a higher standard of professionalism; an online information techinfo database with modestly priced ecu updates and valuable information. Where's the Australian techinfo database? It doen't exist.

Reactions: msg

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've had it with this car, the engines noisy, I can't get the injectors to code, I don't know when this car will die on me, I hope its not soon.

Welcome to the Hilux 1kd Turbo Diesel The "lemon car" with some zesty self destruction features.

Most defective car ever. Though absolutely amazing that the 1kd-ftv engine this misfitted rusty old pile of bolts, contains within it, was apparantly stated as being an "award winning" engine. It features many self destruction features including faulty injectors, the ones that knock out big end bearings and annilate pistons, the ingenious oil circulation jammer that completely deprives the engine of oil, the lovely notorious injector seals that leak exhaust gases, you'd think they used chewing gum to seal them in.
Under the hood of the elegantly placed engine cover, you can head east towards the zesty oil pits - the La brea tar pits, North America within the exhaust gas recirculator, and where an ECU reflash update is available 24/7 and at a reasonable price, exhaust gases recirculate and recirculate and reculate until that part of the engine provides enough asphault for the a freeway extension.

This vehicle has some remarkable features - if the coolant is accidentally lost, the car lets you drive it until the rocker cover melts into the camshaft, the whole time the temperature guage shows a normal reading. Put some high sulfur fuel in it, the pistons explode, a little water in the fuel, pistons explode. Touch some wiring looms the wrong way, airbag explodes. Want to reflash the ecu so the engine can tolerate new injectors without the pistons exploding? You can take it into Toyota where for a lump sum of $500 they will reflash your ecu, highlighting an ingeneous method of making money from ones own incompletence. Pay another $5000 and we'll upgrade your chewing gum injector seals to copper ones. You may be better off heading to North America, where Toyota customers enjoy a higher standard of professionalism; an online information techinfo database with modestly priced ecu updates and valuable information. Where's the Australian techinfo database? It doen't exist.

Shouldn't laugh, but I will anyway.Good luck with your next Hilux, hope you have a few less teething problems with it.:p:D

Last edited:

muc the truck

Of course it does. :rolleyes:

PROBABALY 50% or more of the vehicles on our roads will cook and engine if a sudden loss of coolant occurs . you see you need coolant touching the coolant temp sensor other wise the air cools it and it reads false low temps . and you thought you could be sarcastic here.

That pretty much covers all worst case scenarios.
So you love it......

Stupid Flanders

PROBABALY 50% or more of the vehicles on our roads will cook and engine if a sudden loss of coolant occurs . you see you need coolant touching the coolant temp sensor other wise the air cools it and it reads false low temps . and you thought you could be sarcastic here.

I was actually mirroring the sarcasm of the original post that I replied to. I thought that was blatantly obvious.

And it would indeed have done exactly what you said. It got hot, the temp gauge shows it, it loses coolant and the gauge drops.

They keep driving and the ambient temp makes it rise again.

The poster missed it and blamed the gauge.

When I was on the tools drivers always blamed the gauge saying it didn't work. We always tested the one fitted using boiling water and without exception they were fine.

Manufacturers should fit low coolant alarms as well.