Automotive Solutions Group shares fall 62% after profit downgrade.

Patriot

Administrator
Automotive Solutions Group, the 4WD aggregator which listed in December last year saw it's shares fall 62% on Wednesday after releasing a profit downgrade. The Courier Mail was reporting that the expected profit was down to $800,000 to 900,000 down from 3.3 million. The fall hit the CEO particularly hard, with her paper losses on the day being over $1,000,000.
asg share price.jpg

As late as the 7th of March they expected Revenue of $42.7 million and Earnings before Interest and Tax of $6.5 million, however a profit downgrade released on the 26th of April stated that they where going to fall short of those numbers.

figures.PNG

The drop in profit caused that market capitalisation to fall from $50 million on listing to as low as $13 million on Thursday.
ASG stated that 5 of the 8 businesses are tracking as expected, including AMA (Alloy fabrication), Dolium (importing and wholesaling), ASG 4x4 (Vehicle mods), Deering (air-con and electrical) and JDR Motorsports (vehicle performance).
The companies not meeting expectations include Umhauers with weaker retail sales, decreased revenue from Barden (which includes Uneek 4x4) and slower performance from Roo Systems.

Whilst stating that they are attempting to roll up businesses operating in the 4WD industry, it is interesting that one of the profit issues they have is a delay in a contract for steel for the NFL stadium in Atlanta. This implies currency risk if the dollar rises and also is not tightly focused on the 4 wheel drive industry. They've also launched a prototype vehicle, to demonstrate the vast one-stop shop offerings of the group, but they may not have understood the issues with national freight for product. We haven't been able to find a strategy around national logistics infrastructure, so it would have been interesting to see how much work was done in scheduling and ordering from a wide range of suppliers.

The idea of rolling up a range of businesses in the 4WD industry, providing shared services and marketing, and more professional training for their team of fitters is an excellent one. Better training for mechanics and fitters is a critical issues in the 4WD industry and most small businesses do not have the resources to do it properly, creating a lot of fitting issues.

Aggregators of smaller businesses though, face a number of challenges. Firstly is the retention of key staff. It isn't known what the compensation was for the owners of the businesses that were purchased, although it appears that at least some received some shares as a part of the deal. Those who took large sums of cash (it raised $30,000,000 and now has just 4,000,000 left, which implies a lot where paid cash), may no longer be as passionate about running the business that they previously owned, especially with a decent cash payout. The falling share price is a disincentive for previous owners as they see their nest eggs eroded to the point where they may not be worth anything. The falling share price makes it a lot harder to do future acquisitions.

The old share market adage, "Up by the stairs, down by the elevator," may apply here, meaning it may be years before the share price is north of $1 again.

Hopefully Tanya Mason and the team can pull this one together. It would be great for some of these awesome small businesses to flourish in a more corporate environment, but it will be a tough job.

**UPDATE **
Tanya Mason the CEO of Automotive Solutions Group has emailed in that, "the Vendors have 20% of their purchase consideration in scrip escrowed for 1 - 2 years and there is a claw back on performance. They have significant investment in ASG held in scrip. A strategic review is currently underway with a media announcement to follow."

Hopefully will help ensure that all of the Vendors continue to work towards a unified business.

Last edited:

Biggsy

Get rich quicker plan here...
Surprised AMA got involved in this, and not surprised there one of the performing compines. The Other business not performing have a lot more competition out there and in my opinion the completion out there is far better.
Might be time for the boss of roo systems to stop traveling Aus and making DVDs and concentrate on the business .

Patriot

Administrator
I haven't had a lot to do with AMA, but ASG seem to have bought some good companies. The thing that I find is the risk, is keeping everyone interested after they have cashed out and keeping those with stock interested if the share price falls a lot. It will be interesting to see what happens. I am hoping they can pull this one back, because there are a lot of the small guys out there who are great at their job, but not great at running a small business. An exit like this makes a huge amount of sense for them, but it needs to be long term sustainable.

Biggsy

AMA supply alloy ute trays rack ect up here is Qld and a a fair share of the market.
When read all this awhile ago it look good for everyone. But some of the companies are not leading companies in the industry there is just a lot of them.
Anyway big hit, may bounce back.
Show how much money we spend and want in 4wd industry .....

When you go back to old articles, looks like it was all good when roo system came on board, but now not so good.

Last edited:

Spooner

Ive been involved and watched how the Internet and Cheap Chinese Prices and Imports , destroyed the Local Motorcycle Industry in the last 15 years , putting most smaller independents out of business and the only good ones with any brains that could see what was coming sold out, to the enemy , before being sent broke. Wise move long term . So its ended up a One company monopoly , despite how many different names they have.
I see the 4wd sector heading in the same direction long term :(

Spooner

From what I have seen , its just a mirror image of what I've seen happen , sure the rot started nearly 20 years ago , and was unstoppable thanks to the internet , these days things will fall over much faster. .

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I wonder if the Government has anything to do with destroying our local manufacturing, etc? Tarrifs etc, trying to please Australians by providing cheap imports to get a vote, etc. etc. etc.????
Then we are told that technology is the "New way to go" and stuff our primary and secondary industries.:eek:.

Spooner

I wonder if the Government has anything to do with destroying our local manufacturing, etc? Tarrifs etc, trying to please Australians by providing cheap imports to get a vote, etc. etc. etc.????
Then we are told that technology is the "New way to go" and stuff our primary and secondary industries.:eek:.
Too late to worry about it now Rog ,
The horse has bolted and no stopping it , be it industry , houses, land , jobs or anything else to sell off our country to overseas :(

mikehzz

Everyone makes their stuff where ever it is cheapest to do so. A mate is setting up a factory in China right now, unbelievably cheap compared to setting up the same here. It's that or go out of business and he's been in the game 40 years.

Biggsy

Money hungry scum destroyed local manufacturing not the government.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah I know, however the Govt. always has control of what comes in and what goes out of this country. So if you can't always import cheap stuff, then you have to build and buy local and then this would have an affect on pricing, labor, etc. People may have then been forced to work harder, earn less and pay more.. I use the word forced. But that don't get votes.:)

boobook

The rapid drop in ASG's share price isn't because of Chinese competition, Indeed they have Roo Systems and partly owned by Tiger. I think people just woke up to their cheap products and marketing techniques.

They announced a 70% drop in earnings after just providing optimistic forecasts. Bad JuJu

Patriot

Administrator
The fool article is interesting, but I really think it underplayed the risks that aggregators face. Rather than doing 8 at once, it would have been a lot better to merge two in the same region, start building the systems needed and power on from there.
I've emailed the Tanya Mason yesterday for comment and will update everyone if we get a response.

Patriot

Administrator
I don't really see this as a China imports issue. China makes some great gear, as well as some garbage. A lot of it comes down to quality control - having said that, some of the companies, like Uneek 4x4 manufacture in Australia. I've got one of their bullbars on my BT-50. The big issue in Australia is getting, training and retaining people who can fit the gear.

boobook

The fool article is interesting, but I really think it underplayed the risks that aggregators face. Rather than doing 8 at once, it would have been a lot better to merge two in the same region, start building the systems needed and power on from there.
I've emailed the Tanya Mason yesterday for comment and will update everyone if we get a response.

Agreed. Without being privy to their internal plans, they seem to have a bunch of small unrelated companies. Sure they are all in the 4wd market but where is the leverage? Dolium is an importer of South African High end expensive gear focussed on Land Rovers and touring. Tiger and Roo Systems well what do you say? The other brands are just as diverse. Uneek seems like it could be a good have potential, but it is tied into a deal with a South American company who is dictating design timelines for various models. Eg their new 200 bar is going to be available in 6 weeks from about September last year. Still in about 6 weeks.

I totally agree Patriot, I think the strategy was under cooked.

ARB they ain't.

vk1dx

Bigggsy. A good point mate.

It's all those millions of people, and heaps on this forum as well, who would not support the local products and companies, but were more interested in the price as the most important factor when buying anything. Like all those who claimed that it was better to buy a cheap GPS box for the car from China and bugger the locals. And there are heaps of similar examples. Similarly with those who give companies like Coles a wide miss and insist on shopping at Cosco and Aldi.

I went to a School Boy Rugby Tour fund raising dinner, at Grammar, Bathurst a couple of decades back. We had two speakers, Roy Masters (League coach) and Alan Jones (Rugby coach). Alan's theme was Why buy Australian. Bloody hell did he get it right.

We have always been happy to pay a bit more for Aussie products.

Phil

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Consumers ultimately drive what sellers provide.
Always ask for cheaper products, that's what they'll provide . . . at a cost !!
A cost to quality and manufacturing location (cheaper costs of wages, lower cost of input goods, from overseas), and that ultimately = less manufacturing jobs here at home.
Ok, not all industries, after all our electronics needs for example has pretty much mostly come from Japan and other such forever, with very limited exceptions.

This means less $ in our economy, driving demand for lower prices even more.
NEXT 3RD WORLD COUNNNNTRY !!

It's a viscous cycle.