Good Points
CHEAP AND RELIABLE.
is a TOYOTA :)
alloy bull bar
IFS handles well, and still capable on the uneven stuff
plenty of room ( head and legs).

Bad Points

HIGH KMS. 335000KM
couple of minor scratches and marks on paint.
steering wheel leather peeling.
rear seats knocks and rattles maby rear door. only minor on big bumps

What mods have you done?
245/75/16 HANKOOK MT rto3 & aftermarket ROH alloy wheels.
roof cage tradie style
ebay snorkal
4 point diff breather kit.
50mm front spring spacers
30mm rear spring uppermounts
42'' light bar
stereo upgrade, alpine headunit fusion speakers and 12'' sub
spot lights on bullbar
upgraded tow/ snatch points
oricom 028UHF uniden Ariel.

What mods are on the list to do?
roof top tent
front winch
front and rear lockers. auto locker rear air locker. front undecided.
rock sliders and brush bars
rear draw storage set up
tow bar setup

Why did you buy this vehicle?
wanted a new daily driver, some thing nice too drive and able to go 4x4ing on weekends, tow car trailer from time to time

How often do you go offroad?
every chance i get.
couple times a month to couple times a week, depending on how much free time i have.

What will your next vehicle be?

no plans to replace, if i was to mabe new isuzu dmax ute

PHOTOS
when i bought it
11391733_1017111618313456_3020342011446226918_n.jpg

couldnt help my self
11949470_1062078213816796_7341296256176945723_n.jpg

day out
11863281_1054510407906910_181871330866001340_n.jpg

rear
10885408_1040054932685791_7891860256459352148_n.jpg

how it currently sits with front and rear spring spacers
11990586_1065695060121778_7854213499591562829_n.jpg

Last edited:

bushlux90

You state IFS is not really an issue but it is a bad point?
Well if its not an issue its not a bad point, People seem to forget that IFS is not a bad thing. Yes some tough 4x4s have a solid diff, but with IFS you will always have a nicer ride and comfort and generally in most cases more clearence in the centre.

hiluxdriver

Very neat looking Prado there Levi, all panels seem mint still.

I would reconsider the diff locks though. I haven't had a vehicle with diff locks yet but have still managed to get everywhere I've wanted to go, and that did involve a period of rock hopping not so long ago.

Light bar looks good also.

Levi P

Very neat looking Prado there Levi, all panels seem mint still.

I would reconsider the diff locks though. I haven't had a vehicle with diff locks yet but have still managed to get everywhere I've wanted to go, and that did involve a period of rock hopping not so long ago.

Light bar looks good also.

thanks mate.
yeah apart from a couple of minor stone dents she is very clean,

im not in a real rush for the diff lockers, but i really dont like having to use extra momentum to bounce over a big rut on a hill climb. so far iv been extremely pleased with how capable it has been.
was considering a rear auto locker instead of rear air locker then front air or e locker for just in case. but ill cross that bridge when i get to it.

you had bad experience with lockers ???
yeah im happy with the look of the light bar, do plan on using a smaller mount bracket to lower it closer to the rack.

hiluxdriver

Nah mate, no experience with lockers good or bad. I hear e lockers are the go, air lockers are questionable and auto lockers work for some people. Again that's just from what I've read. Bumping over rocks is ok, is feels average in the car but as long as you're accelerating up the bump and not backing off right as you hit the bump you should be ok. Wheel spin is something to be avoided as I'm sure you're aware.

Levi P

re
Nah mate, no experience with lockers good or bad. I hear e lockers are the go, air lockers are questionable and auto lockers work for some people. Again that's just from what I've read. Bumping over rocks is ok, is feels average in the car but as long as you're accelerating up the bump and not backing off right as you hit the bump you should be ok. Wheel spin is something to be avoided as I'm sure you're aware.

thanks for your opinions on the lockers

iv been reading up on the different types of lockers,
have ruled out the air lockers as theres to many complications for my liking.
so now i got plenty of time to research if i want to go e locker or auto lockers.
i have been accelerating up and over the bumps but may be to long on the accelerator and causing wheel spin as i come off the object. still quiet new to the 4x4 seen more use to lowwerd cars that scrap everywhere, with mini spooled diffs. my other weekender is a commodore on airbags manual with mini spool

Levi P

You state IFS is not really an issue but it is a bad point?
Well if its not an issue its not a bad point, People seem to forget that IFS is not a bad thing. Yes some tough 4x4s have a solid diff, but with IFS you will always have a nicer ride and comfort and generally in most cases more clearence in the centre.
Sorry must have scrolled past your post when i receved the alerts. That is true i actually really like the ifs in these. More meaning in some senarios it is a bad point. Seen as the amount of flex is not ax much as say an well setup solid front axel truck.
i really like the way it rides and it certiantly does have good front diff clearence.

Levi P

Is it the angle of the pic, or is the Commodore running lots of negative castor?
Last time i done wheel alignment on the commodore.

It was around 3° + caster 3.45° neg camber with 1mm toe in
Has the bulk neg camber so the tyres dont hit on the guards while turning.
Very responsive on turn in too.
Not practical but i like the way it looks. :)

Levi P

had a bit more of a play on Saturday arvo. nothing to extreme as i was by myself with out a winch.
couple of photos from
flexing on hill climb.jpg
prado flexing at noosa.jpg