Bt-50/Ford Ranger Urgent Notice

devo73

Banned
Gday All

Just a heads up for owners of these vehicles with the new generation 5 cylinder diesel. Models UP0YF1-

Reports indicate there may be an issue with the variable flow oil pump fitted to these engines.
If engine oil is left to drain for longer than 10 minutes the oil pump may fail to prime and leave the engine in a critical no lubrication situation. Attempts to prime the pump by increasing engine rpm fails to solve the problem and will lead to component failure from lack of lubrication.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Gday All

Just a heads up for owners of these vehicles with the new generation 5 cylinder diesel. Models UP0YF1-

Reports indicate there may be an issue with the variable flow oil pump fitted to these engines.
If engine oil is left to drain for longer than 10 minutes the oil pump may fail to prime and leave the engine in a critical no lubrication situation. Attempts to prime the pump by increasing engine rpm fails to solve the problem and will lead to component failure from lack of lubrication.

Hey Devo, could I suggest you also post this in

PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50 - 4x4 Earth

that way it stays there for reference later (easier to find)

Be interesting to see what Ford do about this

cheers

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just spotted on another forum, a comment in relation to the oil draining, and another thing to watch out for on the PX Rangers (and equivalent BT50s) . . .

"Don't rely on Ford too much either, I actually printed the leaflet from autodata (re oil draining) and took it into the local ford dealer where I know one of the service blokes pretty well and he said that's funny, the first we've seen of it. he reckons they have not been told about it and have not had any trouble with leaving it for more than 10 minutes. Something he did tell me was they are having trouble with a heater hose under the battery tray, it rubs through and dumps all the water and the temp gauge doesn't work then and the engines are cooking, they have replaced a couple of engines under warranty and FORD won't do a recall to fix it."

Might be an easy fix with a cable tie or similar fitted to hold clear of the area.

BarKer

There are guys out there that drain their engines overnight and don't have this prob..

In good old internet fashion someone hit the panic button and forgot to turn it off.. :)

mac_man_luke

about it and have not had any trouble with leaving it for more than 10 minutes. Something he did tell me was they are having trouble with a heater hose under the battery tray, it rubs through and dumps all the water and the temp gauge doesn't work then and the engines are cooking, they have replaced a couple of engines under warranty and FORD won't do a recall to fix it."

There is a service bulletin for this, had mine replaced a few months ago and the new part has a thick rubber protector on the suspect part.

Marc Jackson

Hi all I have a ford ranger 2012 2.2 and I done a service drained oil until emty put sump nut back on the changed oil filter then 8.3 litres of oil now I have oil light on when started and no oil pressure, read on loads of forums about the oil pump not priming by its self! My question is how do I manually prime the oil pump ???

mac_man_luke

Hi all I have a ford ranger 2012 2.2 and I done a service drained oil until emty put sump nut back on the changed oil filter then 8.3 litres of oil now I have oil light on when started and no oil pressure, read on loads of forums about the oil pump not priming by its self! My question is how do I manually prime the oil pump ???

Unfortunately you going to be up for a new oil pump. Some have been lucky with ford doing it out of warranty but will take some effort.

mac_man_luke

Not 100% but i believe its pretty involved job. Should be able to find a service manual on newranger.net forums

Marc Jackson

I only left mine of for like 5 minutes at max and I have this problem and have no idea how to rectify it and Iv spoken to fords and there baffled apparently have no idea of this problem

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ford deny knowing ?
That just shows how they are either lying through their back teeth to you, oe are completely inept at their job.
This has been all over the forums for so long since the problem was fist advised.

mac_man_luke

Yep its not a massively common problem but it does happen.

Look on newranger.net there was a guy with a BT50 with same issue, followed all the rules but still lost prime. Mazda came to the party and replaced the pump out of warranty for him.

Ford do know because they have revised the pump a few times. Some of the reason i sold mine is because of fords attitude in situations like this.

Marc Jackson

Hi all I manage to get my ranger down to fords today spoke with a mechanic there and he explained to me that the problem with the oil pumps is the pick up vains collaps over time so when a service is undertaken once oil is drained you will not gain oil pressure again which means new oil pump,

In the meantime I have written to
Mark Ovenden who is the uk director asking why they have recalled the transits but not the ranger

I will post when I have results

muc the truck

I was taught to drain a sump. fill a sump. fill the new filter first before you remove old filter , fit the full filter . Not having a empty sump and a removed oil filter at the same time or for any length or time . You can prime a oil pump with a pressure regulator wound down to a few psi of air pressure in the crank case while turning the key over but have fuel cut off. This can be handy when the oil pump can not easily be repacked with Vaseline to make it prime .

nothings going to fix a broken oil pick up tube but

Last edited:

Marc Jackson

Fords just phoned me saying as my oil pump has failed I need a new turbo apparently I think this is absolute bull shit as we only done a service and only done a 10second start up what's people's thoughts? They also told me new pump and turbo £2,000???

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Who did the service Marc ?
If Ford dealer you might have some avenue to pursue some sort of oil pump fault (from recent service) led to turbo fail ?
If other qualified garage you might get some sort of warranty from them ?
If unqualified mech or self service it'd be a hard slog getting anything out of Ford.
Suppose you'd have to be able to prove / show oil pump was cause of turbo fail and if the oil pump was due to incorrect service procedure.
Lots of ifs.