Change background image

Zig Zag - Newnes Ruins - Galah Mountain, Doable Solo?

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by Crashtastic, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

G'day all,

I've got a mate who's having a hard time, so next weekend I'm going to take him up to Zig Zag to get him out of the city and have a bit of a chat.

I usually do all the fun parts of Newnes state forest (spanish Steps etc) as a group, but this will be a solo vehicle trip. I haven't done the Newnes ruins via old coach road, or Galah Mountian Road before. From the maps they look easily doable solo, but I figured I ask to see if anyones done them recently and can comment on track conditions, and whether it's easily soloable with twin locks.

Not too stressed about getting stranded, I've got all the recovery gear (plus I know a local who will come pull me out for a case of beer), but I'd like the day to go smoothly. My mates never been 4wding and the last thing I want is to stress him out more by turning the day into a recovery session. If he behaves I may even let him drive.

2. red99td5

red99td5 Active Member

I think i heard a lot of the fun areas have been closed off recently?

3. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

Both those tracks are walking trails only down to the ruins. The only way to drive to the ruins is via Wolgan Road.

4. Crashtastic

Crashtastic Member

Ah damn, that'll teach me to trust Hema. Blackhand and Wolgan Road it is!

5. FrankP

FrankP New Member

Well done you for looking after your mate like that.

6. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Sorry man, it's no longer Blackfellows Hand track, it's now just Hands Track on the sign posts. You aren't allowed to say or write bl**k because it must be some sort of insult. Who knew?

7. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

Really, lucky we have all these thought police making meaningful contributions to our lives