Zd30 glow plugs

Maxy

Been having trouble starting my car for a while now when cold. The last cold morning I thought my battery was going to give up before it just started. The next morning I sat an electric fan heater in the engine bay an hour befor going to work. Replaced all four glow plugs yesterday and although it hasn't been cold I can tell the major difference when starting. My glow plugs had worn out about 5mm in length compared to the new ones. Easy job should have replaced them last winter. Car has done 315000 klms so should be right for another few years. Have a good day. Craig.

patrolgu4

Been having trouble starting my car for a while now when cold. The last cold morning I thought my battery was going to give up before it just started. The next morning I sat an electric fan heater in the engine bay an hour befor going to work. Replaced all four glow plugs yesterday and although it hasn't been cold I can tell the major difference when starting. My glow plugs had worn out about 5mm in length compared to the new ones. Easy job should have replaced them last winter. Car has done 315000 klms so should be right for another few years. Have a good day. Craig.

It is highly/strongly recommended that you also fit glow plugs timer (Kemo 113A from Jaycar or commercial offering from Bogaard).

The reason is the terrible implementation of flawed Nissan strategy to keep emissions down during the engine cold start up. Hence the engine ECU keeps the after glow time to ridiculous 5 minutes after the engine has started or until its operating temperature reaches 70°C whichever happens first.

These ridiculous times contribute greatly to premature glow plugs failures, which can result for example in tips breaking off, head and pistons cracks etc.

Glow plugs on ZD30 don't need to power up once ambient temperature is over 20°C, guess what is happening even when it is 40°C outside?

The mod is simple, cheap and best of all it will prolong the life span of the plugs, especially if the metal tips types are fitted.

Use momentary push on overide switch for the timer so there is no glow time at all when conditions are OK to start without.

Anyway here is an example of the installation diagram:
As an added hack I also rewired the dashboard glow indicator to operate when actual glow is going on unlike with OEM installation where it goes out after 2-4 secs even though glowing continues. It is not really needed as Kemo timer has its own indicator lights.

Nissan uses it as a signal/message that it is OK to crank the engine after light goes out.
Included is also a photo of the installed unit.

Attachments

• Glow_timer_with_dash_glow_indicator.jpg
    Glow_timer_with_dash_glow_indicator.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Glow_plug_Kemo_timer.JPG
    Glow_plug_Kemo_timer.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:

Maxy

Thanks for the information about glow plug timer. Will definitely look further into the option of replacing the original timer.

Thanks for the heads up. Craig

MohFer

Certainly helpful information on Kemo113A. Please advise what is the part (now marked by blue circle) on the attached diagram. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Glow_timer_with_dash_glow_indicator.jpg
    Glow_timer_with_dash_glow_indicator.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 9