Your mobile phone pics & tips

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Starting this thread because many now use their iPhones and Android etc phones for convenience on the tracks . . .

So, post up your phone images, and learn how to take better phone photos along the way.

Please list :
Phone brand / model
Any special settings used

Also, great sites to learn from tutorials etc are welcome.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
You got me there. I have a good Android phone that takes HD photos and I never learned to use it properly, including editing features.
So I will now go away and learn how to use it properly and get back to you with phone details and what it can do, If I am quick enough it may save me taking my two other cameras away next week.:D

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Cheers Roger, I'll pop a couple up now from recent QLD trip, one normal and one pano. I really like the iPhone pano mode for some shots, it seems awesome.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One thing I have learned is pano is fantastic for group vehicle shots !
Will see if I can find one of those too from an Earth trip.

ian.c

Hi Les my photos have become blurred because the camera lens has scuff marks, would it be the camera lens or just the casing over the lens, I was wondering if I could polish or buff the scuff marks out ? I have a dremmel with polishing wheels, thought I'd get advice before I try it, my phone is an old Samsung S2 GT 19100 T , I will be replacing it soon but not before our Moreton trip next month, my phone is my only camera atm as it takes better pics than my old fuji digital, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Ian.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Mate, I had to get a new iPhone when in Brissy, the touch screen part stuffed up bad !
Apple swapped it no probs as it was under a year old.

But, then he came out again he mentioned the camera lens was broken !!
I'm not sure when it happened, as I usually have it in the Lifeproof cover, EXCEPT for a day at the workshop when I was trying it out of the cover in case this was affecting the touchscreen problem.
It slipped out of my pocket ONCE, lightly landed on concrete from only 4" or so, and this could have done it.

Anyway, I took a pic right then in the shop, and you couldn't tell the camera lens was cracked like a spider web when you looked at the pic.
Funny, have heard where a scratch on a lens would is not picked up, something with the focus point etc, but a properly smashed lens ?

Yeah if yours is dulled from gradual abrasion, it might have that fogging effect, bummer really, but try this if you like . . .

Go find a product called Wipe New, it's for headlight restoration, and I use it a LOT.
It can be used for taillights, dash gauge covers etc, as it brings up a near new sheen and has UV protection.

So, get one of these wipes and do some other stuff with it too, like grey trims on the 4WD or other car etc AFTER you do the camera lens . . . one wipe on the lens mate, just get it wet and looking good, then leave it to dry.
Have the other stuff ready to wipe over too, it brings up faded tail light lenses nicely, grey side trims etc . . . just a good wash and dry.

The important points with using this (and other similar products) is put it somewhere dust free for about an hour to tack off well, and don't get it wet for a good 24hrs, 48hrs better.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
OK. I'm back.
Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 5.0 system, set on FHD 1920p X 1080p.
I just found out amongst other features it has a panavision mode, so off I went out the front door.
Put it into pan mode and then the screen showed horizontal FLASHING arrows, said press photo button and pan slowly, which I did.
When I panned enough it then showed vertical flashing arrows which I ignored and just pressed the photo button again. I think this is what then processed the photo.
Can anyone tell me what would of happened if I had used the flashing vertical arrows, how I would have used it ( rather than just pressing the photo button), and how it would have affected my photo.??
Anyway, here is the pic, I guess I should have stuck the Troopy in there and said this was taken way out the jungle in N.T.
Well it is a jungle out here in Monty.:eek:.
20160511_102059.jpg

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Dunno about the vertical arrows Rog ?
The iPhone doesn't have this.

Google 360 does for the 360 degree pics you can take with that app, so it might be some sort of feature to take another layer above / below the first shot ?
Maybe go have another try and see what ou find.

ian.c

Thanks for the info Les I'll give it a go, i have seen that product before, i can stop wondering whether it works now.

Roger if your phone is like mine you just have to press the button once and the rest is automatic, the phone knows when to take the next one, that might have something to do with the vertical lines, I've only used it a couple of times though samsung are pretty popular so someone might know a bit more about yours.

Spooner

Ive got a Android HTC Desire 820 with a 13mp camera . I much prefer using my Pentax camera for taking pics , but as I'm learning to use it , seems ok , mrs spooner has been playing with it doing stuff . I really should have bought a i phone , as I run a 27" Mac at home, But I find them too small and too expensive .But it won't talk (connect) to my puter.
But I didn't really buy it for doing stuff over than calling people and searching google maps for work...
IMAG0160.jpg

Spooner

iPhone 6S, nothing special, just pointed and shot. This is down off the Nullarbor at a spot called Twilight Cove.
Great Photo , We have never been there , I didn't know you could get down to the bottom . I always thought you could just drive across the top and look down in some places .

stevemc181

Didn't realise you could access beaches like that along that stretch :)
I googled it.

Some of the Google images of Twilight Cove are simply breathtaking.
There's even one of yours there Steve in those google images, about a dozen lines down on an access track.
Yep, there are actually a few of my pics in there. A lot of the images on that link aren't actually of Twilight Cove though, some of them look like they are from around Esperance. It is a stunning spot though, wish I had dropped the hired Tvan off much earlier than what I did. It's pretty tight and twisty getting in there, the turn off is at Cocklebiddy, or you can also acces it via the Eyre Bird Observatory.

Last edited: