Young 4X4'er will learn from this Cape Arid N.P. experience

Decca

No doubt we've all had close calls.... but that was too close..
Had done some prep ... had a map of sorts, and a shovel, but didn't prepare for worst case scenarios. Lucky fella indeed

No other (better) way to the Telegraph station??

The track to the Tele station is mostly sand. He made a decision to follow some tyre tracks across a salt pan, I think on his way out.
I was reading a post recently where people commented that Karijini isn't that remote and was thinking that feeling changes when you break down or get stuck and it suddenly dawns on you that you are 100's of km away from a town. I guess this guy just found out the hard way how true that is. I've camped at Thomas River many times and he wasn't that far from there but its a long way when you can't drive.

Triton14

Not sure if bad decisions are restricted to the "young"!

I guess the thing that comes with age is knowing further research might be needed & having a back up plan aint a bad thing either :p

At least he had sense enough to pack some food & not just take a couple of packets of Pringles :)

Colly18

Not sure if bad decisions are restricted to the "young"!

I guess the thing that comes with age is knowing further research might be needed & having a back up plan aint a bad thing either :p

At least he had sense enough to pack some food & not just take a couple of packets of Pringles :)
It's definitely not the case that poor decisions are made by young people alone! Plenty of drivers of all ages, inexperienced in country and bush driving, make wrong decisions. Even those of us who have plenty of experience make a wrong choice every now and again :(

Triton14

It's definitely not the case that poor decisions are made by young people alone! Plenty of drivers of all ages, inexperienced in country and bush driving, make wrong decisions. Even those of us who have plenty of experience make a wrong choice every now and again :(
Absolutely.

Just dont forget the PLB is what I say :)

sharkcaver

The tracks out to Israelite can be treacherous when wet in places, as can be seen by chicken track on top of chicken track on top of chicken track. The only time I've been was solo, late November and about 4 weeks after substantial rain. It's not the place to get bogged solo. Compounded is the fact you do have to drive across the surface of a salt lake on its outside edge, which looks like where ole mate got stuck. I wasn't real keen on doing that solo, but in the end all was good. A PLB would have been good as a 60km walk is no walk in the park, especially if not prepared for such a task.

20141212_165218.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg