York Peninsula

Shane_H_79

Hi All
I am interested in going over to the York Peninsula for a week of so in May and am looking for ideas in terms of 4wd tracks and camping.
Open to most suggestions on destinations.

smitty_r51

Tracks you will struggle.

Only the beach on the east coast south of Moonta

But you are risking the local idiots with their buried nails and steel spikes.

Camping you have more choice and if you call into harvest corner in Minlaton they can help you choose the camp spots and sort the passes out

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Even with the limited tracks, it's just a nice place to do some fishing or exploring the local towns.

Cape Elizabeth down is probably the nicest, but as mentioned there has been trouble off and on with some idiotic locals putting out tyre stakes of all sorts to puncture sometimes all 4 tyres !
Obviously something / someone upsets them with their antics (and there would be some moronic 4WDrs going through there for sure).

stewie923

There is a track that runs from Wallaroo all the way along the coast to Moonta. It's pretty easy but is good fun, it does take you down onto the beach in a couple of spots which can be fun in the soft seaweed. We did get stuck in there last year which was a good recovery (Maxtrax and a shovel got us out). Allow about an hour to get to Moonta, the track can be accessed from here - https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-33.94368!4d137.591613

There is also the road with beach access north of Wallaroo that runs from Point Riley up to Tickera, you can get into the soft sand and play, or just find a few nice fishing holes along that section. If you get yourself to here and go North you'll see the track I'm talking about - https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-33.876466!4d137.601312

80lover96gxl

There is a track that runs from Wallaroo all the way along the coast to Moonta. It's pretty easy but is good fun, it does take you down onto the beach in a couple of spots which can be fun in the soft seaweed. We did get stuck in there last year which was a good recovery (Maxtrax and a shovel got us out). Allow about an hour to get to Moonta, the track can be accessed from here - https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/33°56'37.2"S+137°35'29.8"E/@-33.9444335,137.5938096,527m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-33.94368!4d137.591613

There is also the road with beach access north of Wallaroo that runs from Point Riley up to Tickera, you can get into the soft sand and play, or just find a few nice fishing holes along that section. If you get yourself to here and go North you'll see the track I'm talking about - https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/33°52'35.3"S+137°36'04.7"E/@-33.8764623,137.5994818,746m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-33.876466!4d137.601312
Need to be weary around the cape Elizabeth area on that track due to numbskulls scattering tyre destroying spikes throughout that area.
Bird island area catches many people out with a thin layer of sand over the seaweed resulting in chassis rails becoming a momentum stopper, seen many vehicles stuck there over the years.

All in all tho its a fun day out, when done here heading down to port vic as luke stated can rurn it into an enjoyable weekend.

stewie923

We avoided the Cape Elizabeth area due to the Muppets around there laying those tyre stakes. It seems to have stopped now though, I think the last report of it was about six months ago. I know that SAPOL were investigating it so maybe they put enough pressure on someone to scare them off.

80lover96gxl

We avoided the Cape Elizabeth area due to the Muppets around there laying those tyre stakes. It seems to have stopped now though, I think the last report of it was about six months ago. I know that SAPOL were investigating it so maybe they put enough pressure on someone to scare them off.
Good to hear its ceased for now stewie, rediculous behaviour that could of ended very badly, especially for those responsible if found by someone who had lost a few tyres.

Rhett HS

At the end of the day, most beaches on yorke are driveable. I have gone around most of yorke sticking on or near the coast, and i recommend it.

Kermit

4x4 Earth Contributer
A questionable notation on Tyre Spikes "Local Idiots""Idiotic Locals"
I've not heard that Locals have been prosecuted over the issue
Has that been proven or should there perhaps be a alteration to those statements
If proven by prosecution, all's good
If not, You're leaving Yourselves wide open to whoever takes offence
Just a thought for consideration !

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Who else would put them there, but locals who feel others shouldn't be visiting 'their patch' ?
I don't consider anyone travelling from Adelaide, or any other location would make and bring such devices and plant them around tracks they are using.
It's been widely reported on the devices being fact, pictures in local newspapers etc, so it's a fact it has been an issue.

Kermit

4x4 Earth Contributer
"Who else could put them there" (Personally, I have no idea. Nobody does ! and neither do You)
Seems You have a better knowledge than the Police on who did it so why don't You just tell them and clear the matter for everyone
Agreed it has infact been an issue and Yes it's a great place to visit
Just trying to help show the obvious complications should a local take offence
You can ignore it, Personal choice but should it go bad, Oh !@#$
I'd hate to be in the shoes of anyone making unproven statements !

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
"Who else could put them there" (Personally, I have no idea. Nobody does ! and neither do You)
Seems You have a better knowledge than the Police on who did it so why don't You just tell them and clear the matter for everyone
Agreed it has infact been an issue and Yes it's a great place to visit
Just trying to help show the obvious complications should a local take offence
You can ignore it, Personal choice but should it go bad, Oh !@#$
I'd hate to be in the shoes of anyone making unproven statements !

Wow Des, that's a bit dramatic.

Common sense says it's a local, possibly with good reasons (in their mind) behind it, maybe people driving places they shouldn't like their properties, through closed gates etc.

Kermit

4x4 Earth Contributer
"Dramatic" Maybe, but True
It's Your hole, just how deep You dig it is up to You
I'm just trying to Help with saying what You're leaving Yourself open to
There is still the edit button !