Yarra Glen to Buxton perfect for beginners!!

Frug

Hey there everyone.

Did my first 4wd drive on Sunday. It was really good fun. We drove the Yarra Glen to Buxton track. My standard Subaru Forester 2006 was in it's element!!

If you are a newby looking to get into it, but not sure what the first step is, drive this track. It consists of about 80% single track fire road and about 20% bush track, with a few water bars and large mud holes you can aim for.

Nothing too serious, but it's a good track to start on, to experiment with tire pressure and how your car feels off road.

We took a little detour down Luke Creek No. 1 Track, which was a bit technical, but at slow speed was fine. I did a little bit of 3wd action.

Here's a little video we took at about the half way point:
Suby4wd23092012 - YouTube

We came across a bunch of "real" 4wd having some fun in the mud just down from where we were driving, so looks like you can really go to town there!

As you come out into Buxton, there is a Shell servo, so you can pump your tires back up.

The whole trip, from Yarra Glen to Buxton took about 3hrs.

I also recommend the burgers at Igloo Road House!! Mighty fine!!

Was a sweet days drive and i'm looking forward to getting out again really soon!!

Laters
Doug

Swaggie

We came across a bunch of "real" 4wd having some fun in the mud just down from where we were driving, so looks like you can really go to town there!

Laters
Doug

Hiya Doug

The last thing i want to do is rain down on your parade as they say :eek:..But there's a few things to take into consideration..When your out in the bush doesn't mean you can do as you please just because other guys are doing it...This site has a TREAD LIGHTLY policy and its exactly what it means...Try and leave a minimum footprint as you can..

Bog holes attract like Pigs in Sh!t..I avoid them at all cost unless its a point A to B situation..Usually they smell like sewer and will put unnecessary stress on your Vehicle possibly flooding your vehicle with it if you get stuck.If there is a workaround or chicken track as they say i will take it....

A friend and i went North of Woods Point one Easter,It was the first day and we went down a steep rocky track...I said do we go back up it to prove a useless point and possibly a CV joint,panel damage etc etc and possibly wreck the Holiday or do we go to the other track that's easy and stay out here longer (so we did the latter) and had an awesome extra 3 days finding new camp areas and mines etc etc...

Mate i am not perfect and have made some mistakes over the years (i try and learn from them) but i try and think of others now as Tracks are being gated CLOSED at a fair rate...Oh and dont drive down closed tracks either just because others do..;)

Glad you found a track you had fun on...:);)

Goodluck..

Gazzava

I know the forum has a tread lightly approach, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to climb the hill again. If it is becoming that bad u maze well just drive on a gravel road. I can understand if there is no chance of getting through a bog hole. But I see nothing wrong with trying to climb the hill. If you try it and can't get up and are just sitting there spinning the wheels it's a different story. This is just my personal opinion

ashtown01

Hiya Doug

The last thing i want to do is rain down on your parade as they say :eek:..But there's a few things to take into consideration..When your out in the bush doesn't mean you can do as you please just because other guys are doing it...This site has a TREAD LIGHTLY policy and its exactly what it means...Try and leave a minimum footprint as you can..

Bog holes attract like Pigs in Sh!t..I avoid them at all cost unless its a point A to B situation..Usually they smell like sewer and will put unnecessary stress on your Vehicle possibly flooding your vehicle with it if you get stuck.If there is a workaround or chicken track as they say i will take it....

A friend and i went North of Woods Point one Easter,It was the first day and we went down a steep rocky track...I said do we go back up it to prove a useless point and possibly a CV joint,panel damage etc etc and possibly wreck the Holiday or do we go to the other track that's easy and stay out here longer (so we did the latter) and had an awesome extra 3 days finding new camp areas and mines etc etc...

Mate i am not perfect and have made some mistakes over the years (i try and learn from them) but i try and think of others now as Tracks are being gated CLOSED at a fair rate...Oh and dont drive down closed tracks either just because others do..;)

Goodluck..

g,day swaggie

sounds like you need a drink or two just to loosen up:) or maybe u had a few already, hope doug dosent take that personally. i understand ur point though.

What do you think of all the bikes that spin wheels every second? you see 10 of em all line up and spin up the steepest hill.

All the best:)

Swaggie

g,day swaggie

sounds like you need a drink or two just to loosen up:) or maybe u had a few already, hope doug dosent take that personally. i understand ur point though.

What do you think of all the bikes that spin wheels every second? you see 10 of em all line up and spin up the steepest hill.

All the best:)

Hiya Mate

Naah i am fine,I didn't look at the YouTube video so i didn't comment on that...The sites about educating new drivers out there isn't it ??????????...So i thought i would try and do that...I wasn't in anyway having a go at him personally and want to make that clear....Just giving advice i could have done with when i first started..:eek:

If you dont want to start educating new drivers now,when do we start...??????

I am not getting into its bikes,no its vehicles crap..We ALL have a responsibility out there to look after the Bush full-stop and we better start doing it now...:);)

Paul Patrol

Hiya Frug. Welcome to the 4wding family. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your drive.

Did you notice the size of that tree across the track (out of camera shot)? Our group got caught out there a few weeks ago & with a huge team effort & know how, removed the majority of that big fella from the track.

Unfortunately when you post on here, there will be some people that feel the need to lecture you on your driving. You did nothing wrong mate so relax.

That corner you were on is a tight squeeze ay?

Keep an eye out on future drives as I'm led to believe there is another newbie/beginners drive coming up. This is organised by responsible & experienced 4wders that like to pass on safe driving techniques, vehicle recovery, bush & track adequate (tread lightly) & other relevant tips on to the less experienced driver.

The last trip which was organised by PK was fantastic & the newbies got a lot of value from the exercise & also met & forged new mates.

Even after the last trip above, there were some that felt the need to lecture for no good reason. Me thinks that these lectures should come along on the next trip & get a bit of perspective before shooting from the hip on here.

I hope to see you out on the tracks some day.

Cheers, P.P.

ashtown01

Hiya Mate

Naah i am fine,I didn't look at the YouTube video so i didn't comment on that...The sites about educating new drivers out there isn't it ??????????...So i thought i would try and do that...I wasn't in anyway having a go at him personally and want to make that clear....Just giving advice i could have done with when i first started..:eek:

If you dont want to start educating new drivers now,when do we start...??????

I am not getting into its bikes,no its vehicles crap..We ALL have a responsibility out there to look after the Bush full-stop and we better start doing it now...:);)

hey swag

fair reply, i know exactly what ur saying.

if you watch the video try not to fall to sleep! no offence doug.

see you on the tracks.

Swaggie

Hiya Frug. Welcome to the 4wding family. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your drive.

Did you notice the size of that tree across the track (out of camera shot)? Our group got caught out there a few weeks ago & with a huge team effort & know how, removed the majority of that big fella from the track.

Unfortunately when you post on here, there will be some people that feel the need to lecture you on your driving. You did nothing wrong mate so relax.

Keep an eye out on future drives as I'm led to believe there is another newbie/beginners drive coming up. This is organised by responsible & experienced 4wders that like to pass on safe driving techniques, vehicle recovery, bush & track adequate (tread lightly) & other relevant tips on to the less experienced driver.

The last trip which was organised by PK was fantastic & the newbies got a lot of value from the exercise & also met & forged new mates.

Even after the last trip above, there were some that felt the need to lecture for no good reason. Me thinks that these lectures should come along on the next trip & get a bit of perspective before shooting from the hip on here.

Cheers, P.P.

If your pointing the finger at me Paul you couldn't be further from the truth..I didn't blame him for anything.

This is organised by responsible & experienced 4wders that like to pass on safe driving techniques, vehicle recovery, bush & track adequate (tread lightly) & other relevant tips on to the less experienced driver.

Would that be Advice or Lecturing or Lecturing with a bit of advice... ????

Sheesh

Last edited:

Frug

Hiya Doug

Goodluck..

Hi there Swaggie.

Thank you for your input. As a newby to 4wding i am after any information/tips when it comes to being a responsible 4wder.

I've attached the info and map of where we drove on Sunday. As you can see, we only drove on established tracks and didn't 'go bush'.

I drive a 2006 Subaru Forester, which is stock. My cars limitations means that my environmental impact is very limited to established roads and tracks. I cannot do creek crossings or steep hill climbs, or do some 'creative' track driving.

I'm not here to cause trouble, I am just excited about my new hobby and want to share it with awesome like-minded people in this forum.

To be honest, Swaggie, I don't think you should judge me so quickly. I am a mountain biker also, and am well aware of the impact I make on our environment and I always take steps to minimise my footprint.

I hope you can understand where I am coming from, your post did "rain on my parade".

I'm looking forward to gaining more experience and skills in my new hobby, whilst being very aware of my environmental impact.

Cheers
Doug

Attachments

• 0452_001.pdf
    625.6 KB · Views: 632

Frug

Cheers, P.P.

Hey there P.P.!

Yeah, we were stuck there for about 20mins, doing a million point turn trying to get my car through!! Good fun though. That tree was huuuuge!

I'd be super keen to attend any instructional drives. I'm keen to learn as much as i can, so i can be a safe and responsible driver, with the rights skills.

Do you know of any 4wd training companies that take you out to show you the ropes?

Cheers
Doug

Lil_Miss

Hey there P.P.!

Yeah, we were stuck there for about 20mins, doing a million point turn trying to get my car through!! Good fun though. That tree was huuuuge!

I'd be super keen to attend any instructional drives. I'm keen to learn as much as i can, so i can be a safe and responsible driver, with the rights skills.

Do you know of any 4wd training companies that take you out to show you the ropes?

Cheers
Doug

There's a 4x4 trainer in Narbethong. It might be worth while looking up

Lil. :)

ashtown01

Haha!! None taken. Just excited to be out doing something new!!

Cheers
Doug

gday doug

good to see youve got a sense of humour, you need it on this forum. i must admit it does feel good and gets the heart rate going when the wheels lift.

Just some kindly advise keep your vids off this forum especially if its got any wheel spinning, mud flinging, bog running, hill climbing, 4wd ing in it, some members have been frowned upon for such activity. In some cases certain members are never heard of again after the mob has spoken.

You always get a few idiot hoons, they dont last long around here and they shouldnt. By hoon i mean the knobs that rip up camp sites, leave rubbish, go around gates etc etc.

i dont mind those subys, certainly not a hoon truck.

Theres a few good tracks around big river (just past warbuton) for beginners, corn hill rd, boundary track, monument track. All ok for ur suby.

I do a bit of work around balwyn, look out for the "ashtown" hilux.:)

xtrailer

Hi Doug,

I also started the offroad thing as a novice in my xtrail. I decided to join the all wheel drive club back in 2008. A driver training course was held at the Werribee 4x4 facility and was a great way to learn what our type of vehicles can do. During my time there (around 3 years) i gained the confidence and ran many trips as a trip leader, we did shallow creek crossings and and mostly easy grades with some medium ones thrown in. ie. Clear hills track up to Craigs hut from the circuit rd.

These days i have retired from the club scene and do a few trips a year with a couple of mates. The Subaru club maybe a great way for you to expand your offroading skills and meet a few friends along the way.

cheers,

Anthony.

PK Kitchens

Good work on getting out and about.

We were at the same tree the other day. It's a tight little turn.
You would of had to turn around if you went Down that track. It's got a nice little climb on the other side.

PK

Frug

Good work on getting out and about.

We were at the same tree the other day. It's a tight little turn.
You would of had to turn around if you went Down that track. It's got a nice little climb on the other side.

PK

Hey PK.

Yeah, we could see about 8 drivers trying to get up the other side. We were stuck at the tree for about 20mins, trying not to roll my car! Had a bunch of guys go past, on their way down the trail. We continued through the tree and headed over towards Buxton.

Cheers
D

Frug

Hi Doug,

I also started the offroad thing as a novice in my xtrail. I decided to join the all wheel drive club back in 2008. A driver training course was held at the Werribee 4x4 facility and was a great way to learn what our type of vehicles can do. During my time there (around 3 years) i gained the confidence and ran many trips as a trip leader, we did shallow creek crossings and and mostly easy grades with some medium ones thrown in. ie. Clear hills track up to Craigs hut from the circuit rd.

These days i have retired from the club scene and do a few trips a year with a couple of mates. The Subaru club maybe a great way for you to expand your offroading skills and meet a few friends along the way.

cheers,

Anthony.

Hi there Anthony.

Thanks for the advice. It's pretty daunting starting out. All these people with big cars and wealth of knowledge. I've looked into joining the Subaru Club Victoria. They also offer insurance with their fees, so that sounds good. Joining a club will be good for meeting people with similar cars and capable levels, i think. The last thing I want to do is to head out with people who have much bigger and capable cars, and I slow the whole trip down.

Has anyone here had any experience with 4wd training courses? Recommendations anyone? I'm located in Balwyn North, so around Melb metro would be nice. Lil_Miss suggested one out near Narbe. Any thoughts?

Cheers
D

FATXAGT

Welcome to your new hobby, i can see that you wont be driving a Subaru for long. You have the bug, and it cant be stopped. 4wding is also about challenges. Can i make it up this hill? Can i drive this track? While also being about getting to places that most people never see like the high country. It was a good vid you posted too. It shows how much the navigator needs to learn about the cars capabilities as the driver.
Enjoy it!