Change background image

Would you pay $80K for the new Ford Ranger Raptor?

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Patriot, Mar 2, 2018.

?

Would you pay $80K for the new Ford Ranger Raptor

1. I'd pay whatever to get one of these beasts!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hell Yes

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Sounds about right

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. A bit too expensive for me

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Not with a 2.0 Diesel

15 vote(s)
    20.5%
  6. Tell em their dreaming!

48 vote(s)
    65.8%
  1. Patriot

Patriot Administrator

We got our hands on a 'confidential' update to dealers. A little more information and indications of pricing around $80K.
    What do you think?

EXPECTED PRICE AROUND $80K. ACCORDING TO FORD DEALER. CONFIDENTIAL UPDATE TO DEALERS.

There is a little more info out to dealers:
    Inheriting the truly successful Ford Performance DNA, the fully capable, High-Performance Off-Road 4x4 Ranger Raptor, will build on the success of the F-150 Raptor. In fact, Ranger Raptor fully embodies the F-150 Raptor DNA, gaining shared features with F-150 Raptor, as below:
    • Race-bred performance suspension with Fox Racing Shox;
    • Terrain Management System (TMS) including Baja Mode;
    • Unique 17" alloys with BF Goodrich AT tyres;
    • Heavy duty skid plates / underbody shields;
    • Front and read disc brakes;
    • Paddle shift;
    • Wider track (+150mm) / increased ride height (+50mm)
    • Strengthened frame in line with Ford Performance requirements
    • Developed with Ford Performance, the first-ever Ranger Raptor will be equipped with a new generation High-Performance Bi-Turbo Diesel engine. This high-tech engine will be mated to a new 1-0-Speed Auto Transmission, which is already in use on F-150 and Mustang.
    Key powertrain highlights include:
    • 2.0L engine delivering an enormous 157 kW of Power / 500Nm of torque;
    • Ultimate combination of performance and refinement;
    • Start-of-the-art tech, highest-grade materials;
    • Outstanding durability - 5.5 million kms of rigorous Commercial Vehicle testing
    • Excellent fuel efficiency, low emissions;
    • Wide spread of gear ratios enable optimal power delivery / efficiency
    • Paddle shift + full manual mode for off-road / towing

CALIBRATED TO OFFER THE BEST POSSIBLE DRIVER EXPERIENCE

The first-ever Ranger Raptor has been calibrated to deliver an exhilarating driver experience. Building on the trusted Ford Perforamcne platform, Ranger Raptor was designed with the above features to ensure that it met or exceeded all endurance testing, including being tested to meet our customers' toughest requirements in environments including Australia's Alice Springs and Borrego in the United States. ranger raptor.jpg

2. Neddysmith

Neddysmith Active Member

Id be open to idea of buying a second hand one down the track. for maybe half the price

Hoss turner and mikehzz like this.
  3. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Pffffft, 80k
    I'll laugh and shake my head at very driver I see behind the wheel
    of one.

4. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

No not for 80.

I would want the supercharged v8 for that price.
    Not a 2 liter engine pushing that power.

No replacement for displacement.

Hoss turner and 80lover96gxl like this.
  5. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Someone has a Ford Ranger Raptor fetish . :D:D
    No way id pay $80k for a dual cab ute .

80lover96gxl and Spooner like this.
  6. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Unless it was a cruiser :p
    You pay big money for a cruiser but at least they hold their resale value, don’t see that happening with a Raptor

Lavers 76 likes this.
  7. loose cannon

loose cannon Well-Known Member

If I had a spare $80k to spend on a serious 4wd I'd probably spend $20 on something like an 80 series or old troopy [insert brand of your choice] and throw $20 or $30k at it. That way I'd have a great truck that would tackle probably anything I could throw at it. Twice the vehicle for maybe half the price and wouldn't be even slightly concerned about picking up a bit of pin striping or the occasional small dent along the way.

I'd have the most comfortable seats known to man, a superb suspension set up, top of the range nav gear and probably have a sat dish mounted on the platinum roof rack so I could watch the footy on the 50' tv while camped on top of the Sir Fredricks Range in the Gibson Desert sipping a cool Chardonnay.

So no, I wouldn't spend $80k on a dual cab. Not fit for purpose for what I do.

8. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

NO!!!!!

2002GU3 likes this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

In a Transit Van ???

Albynsw and Mr Rum like this.
  10. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

.....being chased by cops. :) Top Gear reckons the van of choice for villains.

11. Spooner

Me either , besides in reality if I had 80k to spend id be down at my local Toyota dealer right now.
    Its all mutton dressed up as lamb :D

12. Spooner

Awesome stuff ! A 1989 VN commodore V6 made 160 :confused:
    They were pretty good off road , spewing they missed the 10 speed auto and Race Shockers .
    Cops would have never caught me ! :eek:

BlueCollie, 80lover96gxl and dno67 like this.
  13. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

MMM 3 l twin turbo in the D4 is 184kw and 600nm and that's nothing compared with many other Euro cars, 157 and 500 is not outstanding these days

14. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

I put in my vote to tell em their dreaming, but not sure my vote would matter that much anyway as I fail to see the point in spending over $30k on any vehicle - period. For $80k however I sure has hell wouldn't be buying a 4wd and I'd be looking at something a hell of a lot quicker and something that I dont have to worry about offroad damage with (although race track damage would be something I'd be willing to accept:p)

15. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

• Race-bred performance suspension with Fox Racing Shox; - still produced to a tight manufacturing budget so I don't know if they're the same as shelf bought items, same as tyres.
    • Terrain Management System (TMS) including Baja Mode; - who cares
    • Unique 17" alloys with BF Goodrich AT tyres; - 17" is a bit painful
    • Heavy duty skid plates / underbody shields; - as good as aftermarket? I doubt it.
    • Front and read disc brakes; - surely that's standard on a pleb commodore?
    • Paddle shift; - you can be Michael Shuemacher too...pfft
    • Wider track (+150mm) / increased ride height (+50mm) - we increase height anyway
    • Strengthened frame in line with Ford Performance requirements - strengthened where? So they don't bend when numpties put too much weight on the ball?
    • Developed with Ford Performance, the first-ever Ranger Raptor will be equipped with a new generation High-Performance Bi-Turbo Diesel engine. This high-tech engine will be mated to a new 1-0-Speed Auto Transmission, which is already in use on F-150 and Mustang. - 10 speed probably means no low range
    For $80k it's not worth it. Buy a base model and spend half the difference on mods and have a better car

Lavers 76, Beever and dno67 like this.
  16. Bomber2012

So when are you buying yours James @Patriot ?

17. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

For 80k you'd want another 4 cylinders i reckon.

Lavers 76, Waza, Albynsw and 3 others like this.
  18. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

At least 4 more, 6 more would be outstanding and well worth the $$$:D

Lavers 76 and 80lover96gxl like this.
  19. Bomber2012

Agree Rick

Lavers 76 likes this.
  20. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Active Member

The 10 speed was co developed by GM so maybe we'll see it in a future Bombodore?
    Speaking of VNs my first car (that I bought) was a 1990s V6 VN Vacationer. That thing was a beast - lowered, loud exhaust, sports steering wheel plus the Limp Bizkit sticker only made it go faster :cool:.

Spooner likes this.