Would a standard 2014 jeep grand cherokee be fine getting to Wonnangatta Station ?

Sean Logue

Hi all ,

I have a mate I want to to take to Wonnangatta Station , I have been before from Licola way and come back out through Abby Yard. I have not been Dargo way. Would a standard 2014 jeep grand cherokee be ok getting through Wombat Range Track. This would be March , so be very dry unless it rains that weekend ...

Cheers
Sean

Swaggie

Should be fine although steep in those areas, I'd avoid Herne Spur tho.. Let his tyres down to 20-25 psi

River levels will mostly be very low... Although can change at a drop off a hat..

What's his 4wdriving experience like...

Sean Logue

Should be fine although steep in those areas, I'd avoid Herne Spur tho.. Let his tyres down to 20-25 psi

River levels will mostly be very low... Although can change at a drop off a hat..

What's his 4wdriving experience like...

Mates 4wdriving experience is really next to none to that extent , so it would be good for to get out there and experience it .
Cheers mate , thanks for the reply .

Tink

If it is standard, his tyres will be his biggest hurdle. They are normally very road biased. As Swaggie said, drop the pressures but they will be susceptible to punctures.
Tink

Sean Logue

If it is standard, his tyres will be his biggest hurdle. They are normally very road biased. As Swaggie said, drop the pressures but they will be susceptible to punctures.
Tink

Yeah true , ill have to see what he is willing to do about that.
Cheers.

boobook

Apart from punctures, while March is generally dry as it gets, there is no way he'll get up Wombat Spur with road tread if there is a hint of moisture on the track. It ill be dangerous. Even the parts of Zeka that don't get much sun, are slippery much of the time, even with AT's.

Swaggie

Mates 4wdriving experience is really next to none to that extent , so it would be good for to get out there and experience it .
Cheers mate , thanks for the reply .

No worries mate, I'd suggest he not go in there if that's the case, I remember going up Mt Sarah (Near Wonnangatta) with no experience and a mate who was in the front vehicle (40 odd years of High Country experience) just took off leaving me alone.. I was shitting my pants thinking how in the hell am I going to get up these bloody Hills...

Maybe he might be better as a passenger in this area...

Sean Logue

No worries mate, I'd suggest he not go in there if that's the case, I remember going up Mt Sarah (Near Wonnangatta) with no experience and a mate who was in the front vehicle (40 odd years of High Country experience) just took off leaving me alone.. I was shitting my pants thinking how in the hell am I going to get up these bloody Hills...

Maybe he might be better as a passenger in this area...

That's funny , but sounds fun. I'm going to do a run from Dargo side before Xmas then, just so I can see what my mate is in for...

Swaggie

That's funny , but sounds fun. I'm going to do a run from Dargo side before Xmas then, just so I can see what my mate is in for...

That's a great idea, maybe take him in the with you if possible, you can never get in there enough I reckon... I'd suggest driving down Herne Spur first for alooksee...Mt Cynthia Range Track is a nice drive or up from Eaglevale over the Wonnangatta River...

boobook

Herne Spur????

Gees Swaggie.
Herne Spur, wet track, road tyres. At least it will be quick.:eek:

I still poop myself on Herne Spur if light showers are forecast in the next 3 weeks. I'd head straight down Wombat to the bottom.

Do you mean Harts Spur - and Tea Tree / Racecourse? That's the easier way I reckon.

Swaggie

Herne Spur????

Gees Swaggie.
Herne Spur, wet track, road tyres. At least it will be quick.:eek:

I still poop myself on Herne Spur if light showers are forecast in the next 3 weeks. I'd head straight down Wombat to the bottom.

Do you mean Harts Spur - and Tea Tree / Racecourse? That's the easier way I reckon.

Lmao, yes Hart's would be better.. I've been down and up Herne when it's been Rocky as hell and also when it's been graded also which was a nice drive.

Although Zeka can get pretty well chopped up too.. To many scrambling for traction with the wrong tyre pressures , skidmarks on rocks etc..

Ziggy

If you only want to take him to the station you know that coming in from the Abbeyard side is the easiest access.

Sean Logue

That's a great idea, maybe take him in the with you if possible, you can never get in there enough I reckon... I'd suggest driving down Herne Spur first for alooksee...Mt Cynthia Range Track is a nice drive or up from Eaglevale over the Wonnangatta River...

Would love to take my mate , but he lives in Merimbula so March next year is only time he can plan it. Plus its the weekend of the anniversary the Wonnagatta murders we are going. Meant to be some history shindig going on there...

Def want to have alooksee at Herne Spur , long as there has been no rain. Ill look into the other tracks ya talking too , Cheers ...

jacnden

Are you still planning your trip?
I drove in there in a stock 81 hilux on retreads with little experience many years ago. With that little experience I didn't know you were supposed to lower tyre pressures, so those retreads stayed at 32psi
Dargo to Talbotville via crooked river , eagle vale , cynthia spur, wombat spur, and hummfrey river track and into wonnangatta. It was slow and easy and although a steep climb we had little difficulty.
Headed out up zeka spur , rough but all went fine. You could head out to the north if you wanted an easier way
Conditions always change but if the weathers fine you should be ok , especially with a couple of cars

Sean Logue

I drove in there in a stock 81 hilux on retreads with little experience many years ago. With that little experience I didn't know you were supposed to lower tyre pressures, so those retreads stayed at 32psi
Dargo to Talbotville via crooked river , eagle vale , cynthia spur, wombat spur, and hummfrey river track and into wonnangatta. It was slow and easy and although a steep climb we had little difficulty.
Headed out up zeka spur , rough but all went fine. You could head out to the north if you wanted an easier way
Conditions always change but if the weathers fine you should be ok , especially with a couple of cars

Yeah for sure , just dying for the tracks to open. I want to go Talbotville way, never been that way. I have been down Zeka spur , That's the way i came in May this year. Very rough and slow going , too me like 3 hours time i stopped a few times to look around.

Well that's sounds good for my mate in his jeep then if you did it like that , cool ...

Robbo63

Hi all ,

I have a mate I want to to take to Wonnangatta Station , I have been before from Licola way and come back out through Abby Yard. I have not been Dargo way. Would a standard 2014 jeep grand cherokee be ok getting through Wombat Range Track. This would be March , so be very dry unless it rains that weekend ...

Cheers
Sean
Men drove all around Australia for years in old Landrovers with only a winch and spare tyres water and shovel. No fancy ARB or TJM back then