Work Light

Martin Jeans

I'm wiring in some work lights on my Patrol. I'm been led to believe that i've got to run them through a relay off my spare battery. I'm planning on running a switch from inside the cab. Where can i tap into the +ve wire? Straight from the terminal to the switch, then to the relay and then to the lights and to the chassis? Cheers

NickE

I'm wiring in some work lights on my Patrol. I'm been led to believe that i've got to run them through a relay off my spare battery. I'm planning on running a switch from inside the cab. Where can i tap into the +ve wire? Straight from the terminal to the switch, then to the relay and then to the lights and to the chassis? Cheers

Welcome.
It depends what size light you're mounting. Assuming it'll be a 12v 55w worklight (pretty typical).
You will need to run your wire directly from the battery (unless you have some other heavy duty wiring running towards the back of your truck you can tap into). I used 6mm twin core. + runs to relay, - direct to the worklight (always best to run negative from battery if you can).
The relay only needs a single wire (1.6mm will do) through your firewall for the switch. The switch will need a negative and positive (tap into your stereo - for the positive, you need to decide if you want the light to work without ignition or not, or perhaps want something else to trigger the relay - maybe selecting reverse?).
Don't forget to fuse the positive!
If you want some additional advise, I recommend visiting your local Battery World - the guys at one near me a great, give heaps of tips and advise - they'll even make up wiring looms etc for you if you buy the bits from them.
Its a really fun little project - Have fun with it! :)