Won't start at times, low fuel pressure

ranger_guy

hi all,
My PK ranger periodically wont start once parked for few hours .When this happens I can prime via fuel filter and it quickly restarts.
I have changed fuel filter and primer bit it bolts on to and so far and have no current / stored fault codes. Have also tried a one way in-line fuel valve after fuel filter in an attempt to keep pressure at rail but had same results .

Could this be a faulty fuel pressure regulator ?
What should I be checking next ?

Thanks !

Albynsw

Sounds like an air leak in your fuel system , I had the same thing happen to my cruiser and it was a poorly seated O ring on my secondary fuel filter
Ran fine but the next day it had an air lock and needed to be hand primed to start her
Took me a bit of trial and error to find the leaking item

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
would secondary filter be the one screwed onto hand primer ?

Alby may have meant an aftermarket secondary fuel filter, a lot use them for water removal.

Try checking your seals on the main filter, easiest to start diagnosis.
If problem is not found there it's going to be hard to track it down, but maybe a Ford 3.0 knowledgeable mechanic might have some sort of way to pressure test a fuel system ?

Albynsw

Yes my second filter is an aftermarket add on but regardless the issue can be the same from factory hoses or filters

cam04

Pretty common on that model. We had a couple in the fleet that did it as they got older. One strange theory I have heard is that as the starter motor ages it takes some of the power that the computer should get. I have been told on two occasions that a new genuine starter motor has fixed it. We never bothered with the fleet utes so I cannot confirm this, but yes they would require some turning over to start sometimes.

Batts88

Pretty common on that model. We had a couple in the fleet that did it as they got older. One strange theory I have heard is that as the starter motor ages it takes some of the power that the computer should get. I have been told on two occasions that a new genuine starter motor has fixed it. We never bothered with the fleet utes so I cannot confirm this, but yes they would require some turning over to start sometimes.
What sort of age or km are you talking about my 07 model has 215 tho no issues yet.

sparksy

Watching this as my 2007 2.5L BT50 does same thing, Seem to happen if engine stalls while cold, wont start until primer pump is pumped till hard, then starts first go.

cam04

What sort of age or km are you talking about my 07 model has 215 tho no issues yet.
They were PK's, so similar age etc. with a few more kms. Bear in mind though they were probably started and stopped 10-20 times a day as work utes running between jobs etc. Hard to equate mileage with usage.
The green one (we got a forest green one and a poo brown one - cheap haha) had that issue for a few years before it finally got traded this year. Our boys wouldn't know where the bonnet catch was, much less crank up the primer pump.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
One strange theory I have heard is that as the starter motor ages it takes some of the power that the computer should get. I have been told on two occasions that a new genuine starter motor has fixed it.

This CAN make the vehicle wind over very slowly, and very hard to start when cold, and yes it was a starter in mine.
The starter just gets old, builds up resistance gradually.
It's possible (with mine) that being immersed sometimes may have accelerated the problem.

The OPs problem being all ok with a quick fuel prime throws a spanner in this idea though, does sound like an air leak

ranger_guy

Definitely fuel pressure /air leak related as anytime I pre-check hand primer before starting it takes few pumps to get pressure up .

Hoyks

Check all your fuel lines to make sure that don't have any cracks.
Probably the most likely culprit is the filter. Try a new filter and replace all the seals. Also inspect it to make sure that someone hasn't left an extra O ring stuck in there when they have done a change.
The diaphragm in the primer can also split, good enough to build pressure, but bleeds down over time.