Wonnangatta Couple from Drouin ??

Warby

Not only have we encountered strange people in the bush up in woods Point but also in flinders ranges, at first I thought our mate was having a lend of us about having his swag opened in the middle of the night to a set of perly white teeth staring him in the eye, but later the next day in Wilpena pound he started questioning the ranger about his encounter I was shocked at the rangers response “ oh I think I might know who you are taking about but haven’t seen him for quite some time “....
Bugger that!! I'm not a small fella and I don't scare easy (~120kg, 6'2, tattoos, big beard... I probably resemble half of the guys in these stories hah) but that'd be enough to ruin a camping trip for me, and see my swag permanently fitted with a few self defence "tools"

Edit - Noticed that my previous version had been edited by mods for a naughty word. Sorry about that, but it really does need some kind of exclamation to convey the appropriate tone here haha. Hopefully this version is ok ;)

Last edited:

John U

Don't know how reliable the author of that piece is , (John Silvester) he is bordering on a fiction writer these days .
Silvester is really stretching it to create a bit of sensationalism. The bush is huge and a lot of it is fairly inaccessible. If a person goes into the bush by themselves, gets lost, injured, and has no phone reception, then they are in real trouble. If a person goes into the bush by themselves, doesn't want to come back and doesn't want anyone to find them then they are going to have a good chance of being successful. Grouping a couple of incidents like this and calling it a potential serial killer case is irresponsible, sensationalist rubbish. It could inspire a bit vigilante action and endanger this Button Man character as well.

Also, what is going on with the 'they haven't found the drone yet?' statements? If I was flying a drone and it took off into the bush in the high country I'd guess that it would be unlikely that I would I see it again. Is something the size of a drone meant to be easy to find? In the wild bush where there aren't any tracks?

phs

Bugger that!! I'm not a small fella and I don't scare easy (~120kg, 6'2, tattoos, big beard... I probably resemble half of the guys in these stories hah) but that'd be enough to ruin a camping trip for me, and see my swag permanently fitted with a few self defence "tools"

Edit - Noticed that my previous version had been edited by mods for a naughty word. Sorry about that, but it really does need some kind of exclamation to convey the appropriate tone here haha. Hopefully this version is ok ;)
Always have the buck hunting knife and torch in the swag,

It was at Yungoona camping ground flinders ranges, fairly remote, we didn’t see any other cars for a few days ( mid October ) fantastic scenic camp and we though he must have had 1 too many beers..... until I heard the rangers response:oops:

Bomber2012

Grouping a couple of incidents like this and calling it a potential serial killer case is irresponsible, sensationalist rubbish. It could inspire a bit vigilante action and endanger this Button Man character as well.
Totally agree @John U , sensationalist garbage , poor old "Button Man" has most likely done nothing wrong and now has all this suspicion hanging over him .

Bomber2012

Agreed but I think the Button Man information came from the police. The Herald-Sun and The Age had nearly identical stories.
True that but Silvester started the serial killer garbage , it really is a disgrace to go down the track of the serial killer in the bush , completely and utterly unfounded lies , his lost me as a reader .

Skurfer

Has anyone even heard of this button man before. I'm sure there are a few hermits up in the high country but that story seems so far fetched. I'm surprised it made it into a newspaper rather than a fiction novel.

Bomber2012

Has anyone even heard of this button man before. I'm sure there are a few hermits up in the high country but that story seems so far fetched. I'm surprised it made it into a newspaper rather than a fiction novel.
Never heard of him , I can remember as a kid we used to go fishing with the old man up at Reefton and there was a bloke who lived in a hut near the river , we ran into him a few times and he used to give me apples from an apple tree that someone had planted out there . I always thought he was a hermit , later on in life I was talking to my father about him and maybe he was a draft dodger Vietnam war .

boobook

Speaking of weirdos any of you seen the Houser fUll of landrovers etc as soon as you pass licola?
Apparently that guy is bat shit crazy too
The guy living on Target Creek Rd.

Yeah that guy has one to use for spares for the one he uses for spares for the one he uses as spares for the one that he uses for spares for the one that is broken down. I think he actually has a lot more than that. but it's obvious none are in working condition, they's been there for at least 15 years that I know of.

I always worry that there is a shotgun pointing at me when I drive past his place. It feels like I am driving through his farm.

boobook

Thats why when we owned 3 I had to sell at least 1, I didn't want all the neighborhood thinking we were "those" people :oops:
Or was it a case of the wife said "that thing in the front yard goes, or I go" And you said "Hmmm let me think about that for a minute". ;)