Wonnangatta Couple from Drouin ??

SmAsh_6861

Anyone been up that way since the reopening? Interested to see if there's a police presence or similar in the valley now with the tracks and country being opened...

boobook

Don't forget you still can't camp overnight. It would be a very rushed trip without an overnight stay anywhere. Even if you lived fairly locally.

phs

Well, that is quite the story.
Not the first time I have heard of similar stories, even once had a fairly odd encounter with a bush man looking for his dog around woods point but that said we have meet many odd characters around woods Point and it sort of creeps me out

SmAsh_6861

I posted a thread about a fortnight back on a 4wd Facebook group asking about people's encounters with hermits in the bush,more just as a conversation point. One guy commented his interaction with a creepy old bushy up at King Billy with eyes that stared right through you. Said he just loitered around and wouldn't leave for about an hour and had them feeling really unsettled.

Turns out it was probably the bloke in the article!

Barra GU

Just come here to post about this exact bloke as I also come across the article today.

Totally believable.
Would be some scary shit

boobook

The Herald sun version of the story says:-

They know that he spends weeks at a time roaming the High Country from a base camp tucked in the bush near a remote weather station close to what locals call “The Crossroads” because three tracks converge there, providing access to other areas.

This is apparently near Mansfield. Which seems a bit remote from Wonnanagtta to me.

Anyone know where this location is?

Last edited:

Neil Watts

Thanks all for taking the time, totally believable story but also the stuff that Myths and Legends are made of.

Seems he's the real deal, had it confirmed by someone I trust who has lived his whole life in the region. Said he works with a bloke who has witnessed him 1st hand shadowing deer hunters in the bush.

;) Maybe shouldn't put the winky in Kinne was right.

Last edited:

boobook

Don't know how reliable the author of that piece is , (John Silvester) he is bordering on a fiction writer these days .

The Herald Sun is just as bad. The piece today by Andrew Rule has this Gem in the article. I think the article is behind a firewall.

Up in the ridges and valleys of the Victorian Alps, where wild dogs howl and deer hunters roam, locals are talking about a loner who spends long periods in a remote bush camp.

a1bert

Don't know how reliable the author of that piece is , (John Silvester) he is bordering on a fiction writer these days .

I like Johns articles, but as you said, think he is starting to cast a bigger shadow now to get his stories for his weekly contributions
For those who are unaware who John Silvester is, he is highly respected retired Victorian detective who writes articles on crime but intermixed with witticism

Bomber2012

I like Johns articles, but as you said, think he is starting to cast a bigger shadow now to get his stories for his weekly contributions
For those who are unaware who John Silvester is, he is highly respected retired Victorian detective who writes articles on crime but intermixed with witticism
Yeah I agree , I have followed his work for quiet a while now , theres nothing wrong with poetic licence , but not to be confused with fact . Its good to see this story still has public interest , hopefully it gets solved .

Bomber2012

So now I’ll have to sleep with a pistol,machete and shotgun in my swag...
Oh and trip wires :eek: o_O
That’s if i can get to sleep.
You forgot a Knife :D :D If anyone makes it over the trip wires and past the pistol , machete and shotgun it might be handy for close quarters struggle .:p:p:p:pHave you thought about buying a dog ????:)

• Haha
Reactions: phs