Wonnangatta Couple from Drouin ??

phs

Well, that is quite the story.
Not the first time I have heard of similar stories, even once had a fairly odd encounter with a bush man looking for his dog around woods point but that said we have meet many odd characters around woods Point and it sort of creeps me out

Swaggie

SmAsh_6861

I posted a thread about a fortnight back on a 4wd Facebook group asking about people's encounters with hermits in the bush,more just as a conversation point. One guy commented his interaction with a creepy old bushy up at King Billy with eyes that stared right through you. Said he just loitered around and wouldn't leave for about an hour and had them feeling really unsettled.

Turns out it was probably the bloke in the article!

Barra GU

Just come here to post about this exact bloke as I also come across the article today.

Totally believable.
Would be some scary shit

boobook

The Herald sun version of the story says:-

They know that he spends weeks at a time roaming the High Country from a base camp tucked in the bush near a remote weather station close to what locals call “The Crossroads” because three tracks converge there, providing access to other areas.

This is apparently near Mansfield. Which seems a bit remote from Wonnanagtta to me.

Anyone know where this location is?

Last edited:

Neil Watts

Thanks all for taking the time, totally believable story but also the stuff that Myths and Legends are made of.

Seems he's the real deal, had it confirmed by someone I trust who has lived his whole life in the region. Said he works with a bloke who has witnessed him 1st hand shadowing deer hunters in the bush.

;) Maybe shouldn't put the winky in Kinne was right.

Last edited:

boobook

Don't know how reliable the author of that piece is , (John Silvester) he is bordering on a fiction writer these days .
The Herald Sun is just as bad. The piece today by Andrew Rule has this Gem in the article. I think the article is behind a firewall.

Up in the ridges and valleys of the Victorian Alps, where wild dogs howl and deer hunters roam, locals are talking about a loner who spends long periods in a remote bush camp.

a1bert

Don't know how reliable the author of that piece is , (John Silvester) he is bordering on a fiction writer these days .
I like Johns articles, but as you said, think he is starting to cast a bigger shadow now to get his stories for his weekly contributions
For those who are unaware who John Silvester is, he is highly respected retired Victorian detective who writes articles on crime but intermixed with witticism

Bomber2012

I like Johns articles, but as you said, think he is starting to cast a bigger shadow now to get his stories for his weekly contributions
For those who are unaware who John Silvester is, he is highly respected retired Victorian detective who writes articles on crime but intermixed with witticism
Yeah I agree , I have followed his work for quiet a while now , theres nothing wrong with poetic licence , but not to be confused with fact . Its good to see this story still has public interest , hopefully it gets solved .

Bomber2012

So now I’ll have to sleep with a pistol,machete and shotgun in my swag...
Oh and trip wires :eek: o_O
That’s if i can get to sleep.
You forgot a Knife :D :D If anyone makes it over the trip wires and past the pistol , machete and shotgun it might be handy for close quarters struggle .:p:p:p:pHave you thought about buying a dog ????:)

• Haha
Reactions: phs

Ashbine

They know that he spends weeks at a time roaming the High Country from a base camp tucked in the bush near a remote weather station close to what locals call “The Crossroads” because three tracks converge there, providing access to other areas.

This is apparently near Mansfield. Which seems a bit remote from Wonnanagtta to me.

Hey mate,

I read on another forum (so second hand info) that the 'Crossroads' is the intersection of Bluff Track, Bluff Link Track and 16 Mile Jeep Track...basically the intersection just before Bluff Hut.

Lost1?

A few blokes dropped off the grid around remote townships across Australia after returning from Vietnam. The age profile of button man roughly aligns to that time. Would not be that surprised if the account was accurate really.

phs

From Lovics hut to where the campers went missing is only 16 kms as the crow flys

Fiction maybe but there are these sorts of people in the bush, the police station in woods point is there for a reason.

The air is thin up in them hills, fairly well isolated from society but close enough to get what’s required from the township it is a well known place to go if you don’t want to be found.

Not only have we encountered strange people in the bush up in woods Point but also in flinders ranges, at first I thought our mate was having a lend of us about having his swag opened in the middle of the night to a set of perly white teeth staring him in the eye, but later the next day in Wilpena pound he started questioning the ranger about his encounter I was shocked at the rangers response “ oh I think I might know who you are taking about but haven’t seen him for quite some time “....

And there was the time in Sandycape Tasmania
as remote as camping areas get in Australia mind you it was also in October, we had not seen one person outside our group for a few days

It was pouring with rain, at about 3am I woke to the noise of a motorbike idling next to our tent and thought I am dreaming so just fell back asleep, in the morning a friend said I swear are there was a motor bike here last night!

we had a look, quite clearly saw there was a motor bike track left in and out of our camp in the sand back out to the beach, heading in the direction of the wilderness ( no towns or roads )

Last edited: