Wonnangatta Couple from Drouin ??

Ramjet

That is probably the battery he used to power the tent equipment.. maybe just lighting .. but also he could have used such a battery for powering his HF radio gear.
Always safer to not rely on the main car battery for auxiliaries... and it means he could talk on the schedules in the comfort of the tent... no risk of a flat cranking battery.
However it looks to me like this battery may well have caused the fire.. due to the fact that it is so damaged.
It certainly looks like an intense fire.
He may have put the expensive radio equipment back into the car for security before leaving the site. (I can only presume the radio gear was found in the car)
No sign of a vehicle mounted antenna.. so presume he locked it away also.
No sign of any other camp site antenna.

All this points to a very well organized and experienced camper and obviously very keen on his remote radio comms.

Swaggie

Everytime I’ve been in the valley ive never felt the need to lock stuff away,he doesn’t appear to be the type that would scare easily although i could be wrong of course.

What has me scratching my head is the drone not being found.... Including the controller.
Plenty of scenarios i guess.
I’m sure they’ll also look into the girlfriend his wife didn’t know about until recently, wondering if there might be a jealous ex boyfriend or ex husband etc that may have followed them in.

It certainly has you thinking...

Last edited:

SmAsh_6861

Another theory to throw out there...

I used to live in South Australia and lived right next to Belair National Park. For those unaware Belair National Park is a medium size national park about 30 minutes out of Adelaide. One of my friends there was a Ranger and said they had several instances of hermits and vagrants in the remote upper regions of the park, also known as "long grassers".

They used to have problems with them as it's illegal to camp in Belair National Park and they used to hide right up in the back blocks of the park where there were only select seldom used fire tracks. In efforts to scare people off they used to occasionally try to intimidate or threaten hikers who stumbled across them or their camp sites. They could also disappear in a flash as they knew the bush like the back of their hands. Has anyone encountered any of these type people in the VHC? Surely there must be some lurking up there somewhere, trying to not be found.

Did they potentially come across someone like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

boobook

That is probably the battery he used to power the tent equipment.. maybe just lighting .. but also he could have used such a battery for powering his HF radio gear.
Always safer to not rely on the main car battery for auxiliaries... and it means he could talk on the schedules in the comfort of the tent... no risk of a flat cranking battery.
However it looks to me like this battery may well have caused the fire.. due to the fact that it is so damaged.
It certainly looks like an intense fire.
He may have put the expensive radio equipment back into the car for security before leaving the site. (I can only presume the radio gear was found in the car)
No sign of a vehicle mounted antenna.. so presume he locked it away also.
No sign of any other camp site antenna.

All this points to a very well organized and experienced camper and obviously very keen on his remote radio comms.
I hear what you are saying Ramjet. But he was doing Skeds at 3.670Mhz. That's the 80m band and not very portable friendly.

Unless he had a tuner which adds to the complexity, the likely antenna is a bipole strung up HIGH in the trees to be reliable enough to be able to do skeds at a particular time. Which would have to be in the morning or early evening. Plus a portable transceiver is likely an ICOM 7100 or Yaesu FT 897. Both draw around 10A so need a decent battery. I know it is possible but moving this stuff every time you move is a real PITA. Where is all this stuff? Why wouldn't he have a permanent set up in his vehicle if he was into HAM at HF. I think the Police need to get a copper who knows HF from UHF to comment or review this. Setting up portable daily transmissions on HF is nothing like a CB. It's not a trivial or quick task to set up.

It is just another thing that doesn't add up to me.

HF SSB transmissions in that band could be heard anywhere in the world, I'd hope the Police are transmitting for assistance on that band at that time on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Bomber2012

Here is a group of gun toting rednecks
Cant see a problem with those blokes , why are they "rednecks"?
You might not want to bump into people like this.
Again , What is the problem with these blokes . They seem to respect the bush ? I watched the whole vid and didn't see any untoward behaviour , interested as to why your having a crack at them and why "you might not want to bump into people like this" ?

One of those blokes is a well respected dear shooter and campaigner to do the right thing in the bush , re....not leaving rubbish , responsible shooting and not hooning in your 4WD. If you think those guys are bad news you mustn't get out in the bush often , they did nothing wrong at all .

ozne

Its a long way from Dry Creek to Piemans Falls around 10 km as the crow flies. Not a likely scenario to walk. Access is easier from the Bryces Gorge car park.

boobook

I think you're over thinking it Ramjet.

But I must say, this one does have me wondering too.

I don't think there is any foul play. But in reality what the hell would I know? I do know that while I don't hunt, I know a few guys who do and have met some camping, and they are generally nice guys like anyone else.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don't know what the searchers' experiences are in respect of knowledge of the Wonnangatta and surrounding areas. I would have thought that those in charge would have called on people like HF blokes, hunters, blokes who have travelled the area a bit (maybe some 4x4 earthers?), locals, Parks officers, trackers, drone experts, etc. etc.
However listening to the live cast it seems like the call for some of these people has just gone out recently.
P.S. Did have a dig at @Ramjet , however sounds like he is keen to help, so if anyone out there has some good ideas, say something and maybe take those ideas to the authorities. I am sure that we as a 4wd , shooting, camping, whatever mob, would be the first to jump in to help people who get into trouble out there.

Poppa

Heah mate take a couple of deep breaths, :);) it’s quite possible if they are out there that hunters may come across them by accident. If not this season maybe next or in the near future. They get into terrain most do not.

I think it’s better to keep an open mind in this case just about anything is on the table methinks;)
Ahh......I was being a little sarcastic. As a past but long-time deerhunter I took the comments regarding culture etc a little too deeply.

Those blokes in the video are exactly the type you would want to meet in the bush - especially if you were in need of help. In fact, I'm stretched to think of an occasion where I have met a fellow hunter around a campfire that I would not wish to call upon if the need arose.

Swaggie

Ahh......I was being a little sarcastic. As a past but long-time deerhunter I took the comments regarding culture etc a little too deeply.

Those blokes in the video are exactly the type you would want to meet in the bush - especially if you were in need of help. In fact, I'm stretched to think of an occasion where I have met a fellow hunter around a campfire that I would not wish to call upon if the need arose.
I totally agree mate,I go away with a Deer Hunter regularly ( I love guns and when overseas take the chance to shoot different types when the opportunity arises ;) ) I don’t however shoot animals but understand a few need controlling.

Generally hunters need to be respectful citizens to keep there licenses, like anything I’m sure that there’s a small percentage that are not but i havnt come across one yet either....
There’s also a lot of feral dog packs in The High Country too , if they were harassing campers ppl would love a hunter to take care of them.

cmurray

I don't know what the searchers' experiences are in respect of knowledge of the Wonnangatta and surrounding areas. I would have thought that those in charge would have called on people like HF blokes, hunters, blokes who have travelled the area a bit (maybe some 4x4 earthers?), locals, Parks officers, trackers, drone experts, etc. etc.
However listening to the live cast it seems like the call for some of these people has just gone out recently.
I know Parks Victoria and the Mountain Cattlemen's association were involved in the search over a month ago.
Police search for missing elderly couple in the Victorian Alps
A friend of mine lives a couple of streets over from the area chief ranger, and get's regular updates.

sharkcaver

As a past but long-time deerhunter I took the comments regarding culture etc a little too deeply.
Well I don't think you did. One minute they are rednecks you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night, next requesting their assistance.....what the?

I also watched the whole vid, it was fascinating. I must be a redneck too.

Ramjet just thinks he is an amateur detective that can crack this case, cause the combined resources of Vicpol cant.

Good luck with the sleuthing but I think you need a bit more practice.